Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro-fitting motorised valves in central heating system

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

When replumbing our house during renovations our plumber talked me out of installing motorised valves to control whether both the rads or hot water cistern get heated at the same time or if its just the hot water cistern that gets heated. His justification was that 'they break in no time' but to be honest in hindsight it's clear he was trying to cut corners all over the place.

In winter it's not such a big deal, but with summer coming I want to get it sorted so we can heat hot water without having to heat the house. The plumber did install a manual lever in the hot press which does have the desired effect but we want to automate it.

There's a couple of electrical feeds in the hotpress (one for immersion and shower pump, another left terminated in a cable box to allow for installing an electric shower later) and the gas boiler is in the utility room directly under the hot press, so hopefully we can run in whatever cables necessary with ease.

The timer for the boiler does have separate inputs for hot water and heating (though only one is active at the moment).

What is required to get this working? Is it an hour or 2 work for a decent plumber?

I'm actually looking for another plumber to balance the system and sort out a possible problem with one rad, so any tips welcome (in Dublin12).

Comments

Advertisement