Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DIY - lowering springs '01 Astra Hatch

Options
  • 21-02-2008 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I plan on lowering the car myself over the weekend. With the springs I got I'm looking at a 30/35ml drop all round.

I have a lend of the spring clamps & female torx sockets.
    Can anyone suggest anything to look out for?> Any quirks about the fitting of these? Scale of 10 how hard?

The aul lad down similar in the 70's and said he'll lend a hand if need be.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Ah its simple out lad, just a few nuts and bolts. It might be a bit of a pain trying to line the strut up with the body when your puttin em back in but jus stick a trolley jack under the hub to rise it. Check all your bushings when your at it! Make sure ya get it tracked afterwards or youll be driving all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Done the rear this evening....will do the front in the morning....preys for no rain!

Was easier then I expected so far. Placed axle stands (Thanks Aldi) under the jacking points on both sides so both rear wheels are off the ground and removed both wheels.
    Took the torx bolt out of the bottom of the shocks on either side.
    This allowed the rear axle to drop down and I simply replaced springs by hand....No clamps needed.

Trolley jack came in handy to lift/hold arm in place while I removed/replaced bolts.

Doubt the front will be as easy!

I'll get the tracking checked tomorrow too. I'll let you know how I get on.

Got her finished this evening. One man job.
    The front wasn't too bad once you have the right tools.

She's a different car now....handles much better.

I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Pics....

01vn4.jpg

02vv4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Looks nice! How much is it lowered by? Where did you get the springs from?

You should colour code the side-skirts it would make a big difference imo

• Advertisement

funkymotors.ie

"Opel Astra 60 - 40mm Lowering Springs"

The skirts are next on my list along with the door handles.
    I have a set of skirts & splitter at home but the garage isn't big enough to do a proper spray job on them. Maybe get a slight tint on the windows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Do you have to change the shocks at all? I've been readin up on it and i think its recommended to upgrade the shocks if you lower by more than 30mm, kinda whats puttin me off a bit

Read that too and I wasn't planning on changing them.....but I didn't expect such a drop from them springs so I'm gonna price a set of shocks. I might be selling her on so that's up in the air at the moment.

Advertisement