Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting A New Light Loop-In Ceiling Rose Wiring System

• 21-02-2008 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello Everyone
    My house which is rather new has Loop-IN multi-terminal ceiling roses in every room with three wires coming into each rose, I need to try and understand this system as ill be fitting new lights in most rooms shortly and im pretty stumped about which wires do what, altogether theres 4 brown and 2 blue coming in as shown, ill also have four earths as well, the 2 thats shown and another on the light itself and one from the flex

dscn2341yeszj3.jpg

the transformer will have to go into the attic and has three core cable coming from it, so ill basically need to have three wires joining into that for it to work, any help would be very much appreciated, thanks guys
    dscn2351yesfj2.jpg

if you need anymore photos let me know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK first thing first, the blues wires are just looped from light fitting to light fitting so are the earths, there may also be an earth from the fitting back to the switch.

This leaves us with four brown wires.

One brown is the permanent live into the ceiling rose from another fitting or the fuse board (consumer unit)

Another is the permanent live that goes on to the next ceiling rose, so much like the looped blue wires the permanent live is looped from fitting to fitting

Another brown (also a permanent) is brought from the ceiling rose to the light switch

So thats the three browns you see connected together in the middle section.

The final brown comes back from the light switch and is the switched live, thats why it is connected to the flex feeding the light.

So you bring a permanent live to the switch and link it back to the fittings breaking it via a switch, at the switch you make a decision to power on or power off the fitting.

You'd need to check all this out as i don't have a phase tester on the cables but that it what it looks like, the switch live will light a phase tester on and off as you switch the light switch, the other three browns should light the phase tester regardless of the switch position.

The connections for the traffo are easy, the just match up with the flex on the ceiling rose.

The blue goes to the blues, the earths to the earths (greens) and the brown is connected to the switched live (the one shown connected to the flexed brown , the cable nearest the top on your picture. You wont need the flex from the old fitting anymore

However connecting this should not involve the ceiling rose. A Popper connection box should be used, the cables should be powered down, and pulled back up into the attic, beside the traffo, the traffo should be fed via a proper connection box in the attic.

I stress the whole POWER DOWN point

With the traffo connections,

The Brown cable you have shown is connected to the L terminal on the 220V side of the traffo (on the left had side of the traffo as you look at the picture) The blue goes to the N and the earth (*green) is connected to the Green.

Once again if this seems in any way confusing then please don't do it , get an electrician please, if you have never connecting things before then you need an electrician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

hello stoner, thanks very much for taking time out your day to explain that to me, I am very grateful, its amazing that you cant find any wiring diagrams for Irish household electrics, yet england is so detailed in its regs
    what you wrote after reading it 15 times I think it has soaked in lol, just two points im unsure about and they are..

So you bring a permanent live to the switch and link it back to the fittings breaking it via a switch, at the switch you make a decision to power on or power off the fitting.

However connecting this should not involve the ceiling rose. A Popper connection box should be used, (same as a junction box?) the cables should be powered down, and pulled back up into the attic, beside the traffo, the traffo should be fed via a proper connection box in the attic.

Also will the trafo get hot and where should it be placed on the plasterboard in the attic ok or maybe a joist etc?

could you point me in the right direction as to what these are online maybe , so I know what im looking for when i go top my local DIY Today. Its easier said then done to get an electrician to come and fit a light for you where I live, they only do large jobs and would laugh if I asked to wire a light :mad: lol
    Many thanks stoner you're a legend in your own lunchtime

yep a connection box is a junction box,

The traffo would be best sitting on some wood placed over the joists, i.e no insulation and allowing as much air circulation as possible

Any of the suppliers named in the suppliers sticky will have and advise on these, stay away from DIY shops, you'll pay top € for the poorest quality equipment IMO.

I still recommend that you hire an electrician for this TBH if it took you 15 goes to understand it LOL.

Best of luck what ever you do, just remember I told you that you need an electrician to do the job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

hey thanks stoner, Im not a complete novice when it comes to electrics, I have wired a plug or two in my time lol :eek: one last thing if I may just to get a good understanding of this you say

meaning use one of the three in the middle and connect that to the switch live aswell as the brown from the traffo?

The blue goes to the blues, the earths to the earths (greens) and the brown is connected to the switched live (the one shown connected to the flexed brown , the cable nearest the top on your picture. You wont need the flex from the old fitting anymore

where do the other two permanents in the center connect to? just keep them Isolated together separately?

Many thanks stoner, I am a layman :cool:

ok lol Cocobells I'm getting out of this one, you need a sparks sorry buddy.

anyway you dont need to go near the switch if you just want to hook a new traffo onto an existing wired ceiling rose

• Advertisement
Advertisement