Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Update query

Options
  • 21-02-2008 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭

Have a PSP running on 3.40 OE-A which now I need to upgrad,
    what should I upgrade to and any good sites that explain how to do so
    in easy language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

I wrote this tutorial for another forum, works fine, takes 5 mins to complete:

How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Universal Pandora Memory Stick (UPMS):

Intro:
    Okay folks, this is an updated UPMS tutorial for those of you on 3.80 M33 and greater. I've decided to write this tutorial as the question how do I install CFW on my new PSP Slim is appearing more and more on these forums. The old downgraders that we used to use on the old phat PSP don't work with the new Slim or any phat PSP with firmware greater than 3.50. As you may know or have heard Dark_Alex and Team C+D came with the Pandora Battery and in this tutorial we are going to make a Pandora Battery setup developed by BRONZ3gh0st and OverfiendX called UPMS. So lets begin,

What you'll need:
    - Any PSP with CFW installed, it doesn't matter if its a phat or slim PSP.
    - Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 256MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum), even a fake eBay MS.
    - If on 3.80 M33+, please have no custom theme installed/prx's installed in flash0 as 400K of free space is required to install IPL patch. When UPMS is finished running, this flash0 mod will be deleted.

Fake MS Steps:
    1. Download the UPMS V3 from UPMS webpage at UPMS Project Website.
    2. Extract the CSO file from the rar package and place in the ISO folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS).
    3. Then run the CSO called "UPMS Installer" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
    4. Run the "Format Fake Memory Stick program in the UPMS Main Menu".
    5. Remove and Insert your fake Memory Stick, then press X to create folders and exit UPMS program.

What to do: PSP CFW > 3.80 M33
    1. Download the UPMS V3 from UPMS webpage at UPMS Project Website
    2. Extract the CSO file from the rar package and place in the ISO folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS)
    3. We then need to download the Sony 1.5FW and Sony 3.71FW and Sony 3.80FW and rename them to 150.PBP and 371.PBP and 380.PBP.
    4. Then run the CSO called "UPMS Installer" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
    5. UPMS warning screen will appear "In order to Install the IPL to MS when using 3.80 M33+, we must write to flash...." Press X and wait for UPMS to exit to XMB.
    6. Place the 150, 371.PBP and 380.PBP in root/base level of the MS.
    7. Run the UPMS installer again from GAME/ Memory Stick in XMB.
    8. A menu will appear with 4 steps, we want to complete the first 3.
    9. Select Step 1 (IPL Tools) and install the "Sleep Fix Multi-IPL to Memory Stick", then back to Main Menu.
    10. Select Step 2 (Battery Tools) and choose "Create Pandora Battery (Service Mode)", then back to Main Menu.
    11. Select Step 3 (Firmware Tools) and choose "Install U.P.M.S with Utilities (Slowest)". It will take a few minutes to install and lots of scrolling text will appear on the PSP screen.
    12. When thats finished you can go back to the Main Menu and exit the Installer. Turn off your PSP and remove the MS and Battery from CFW PSP.

What to do: PSP CFW < 3.80 M33
    1. Download the UPMS V3 from UPMS webpage at UPMS Project Website
    2. Extract the CSO file from the rar package and place in the ISO folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS)
    3. We then need to download the Sony 1.5FW and Sony 3.71FW and Sony 3.80FW and rename them to 150.PBP and 371.PBP and 380.PBP.
    4. Place the 150, 371.PBP and 380.PBP in root/base level of the MS.
    5. Then run the CSO called "UPMS Installer" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
    6. A menu will appear with 4 steps, we want to complete the first 3.
    7. Select Step 1 (IPL Tools) and install the "Sleep Fix Multi-IPL to Memory Stick", then back to Main Menu.
    8. Select Step 2 (Battery Tools) and choose "Create Pandora Battery (Service Mode)", then back to Main Menu.
    9. Select Step 3 (Firmware Tools) and choose "Install U.P.M.S with Utilities (Slowest)". It will take a few minutes to install and lots of scrolling text will appear on the PSP screen.
    10. When thats finished you can go back to the Main Menu and exit the Installer. Turn off your PSP and remove the MS and Battery from CFW PSP.

How to use:

For Slim: (MS and Battery removed)

1. Turn off PSP and insert Pandora MS.
    2. Slide PSP power switch to Hold Position with yellow dot showing.
    3. Hold down L-Trigger.
    4. Insert Pandora Battery.
    5. Keep L-Trigger pressed. PSP will boot up (no display), then shut down.
    6. Remove battery and move PSP power switch to normal position.
    7. Hold down L-Trigger and insert Pandora Battery.
    8. When MS access light starts flashing orange, release L-Trigger
    9. UPMS Cuatro Menu should appear giving the option to use DC V3 for 3.71 M33-2 or DC V4 for 3.80 M33-5.
    10. Make your choice of which FW to install. 3.71 M33 is stable, bug free, works with all released UMD games, 3.80, 3.90 M33 is brand new, has a few issues but has auto-update feature.
    11. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 64MB of free space for this. When this is finished your PSP will power off.
    12. Repeat steps 6-8 and you will be presented with UPMS Cuatro Menu again.
    13. Press X this time to install your CFW of choice.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

For Phat: (MS and Battery removed)

1.Turn off PSP and insert Pandora MS.
    2.Hold down L-Trigger.
    3.Insert Pandora Battery.
    4. UPMS Cuatro Menu should appear giving the option to use DC V3 for 3.71 M33-2 or DC V4 for 3.80 M33-5.
    5. Make your choice of which FW to install. 3.71 M33 is stable, bug free, works with all released UMD games, 3.80, 3.90 M33 is brand new, has a few issues but has auto-update feature.
    6. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 32MB of free space for this. When this is finished your PSP will power off.
    7. Repeat steps 2-4 and you will be presented with UPMS Cuatro Menu again.
    8. Press X this time to install your CFW of choice.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.[/QUOTE]

Multi-Booting PSP with IPL loader:
    This UPMS package has one great feature in that if you don't hold down L-Trigger when you insert Pandora Battery it will boot your PSP as per normal. This feature works on all Phat PSPs with any CFW but only on the Slim PSP using CFW 3.90 M33-2.
    If you have more than one MS, run the UPMS installer again from that MS and only install "Sleep Fix Multi-IPL to Memory Stick".
    This will enable you to keep your battery in Service Mode at all times even when switching your MS around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

That seems very complicated, couldn't he not just update without pandora?!

He could use the recovery option of his current firmware to downgrade to 1.5. From there a straight install of 3.52M33.
    Then go through the 3.52M33 updates until at least 3.52M33 version 2.

From there he can directly install 3.90M33 which is the latest.

Is this possible? I'm not 100% sure but if you read the readme's that come with the firmwares then it seems like its possible. And much easier than using pandora

Sorry animax, thats not possible and extremely foolish to do.
    This guide is a very very easy and I know lots of people who have used it, and they were completely PSP noobs. UPMS was designed for this reason.

Its less complicated than applying 3 updates if you have never done them before.

If he wants to update the harder IMO he has to:
    Download the 3.52 M33 update form Dark_Alex and extract the M33CREATOR folder. Then download the Sony 3.52FW and rename it to 352.PBP. Copy 352.PBP to the M33CREATOR folder and then copy that to ms0:/PSP/GAME150.
    Then run the installer from GAME/Memory Stick in XMB.

Then he needs to apply 3.52 M33-4 patch:
    Download this again from Dark Alex and extract the M33update 4. Copy to PSP/GAME150. Then turn off PSP and turn on holding down R-Trigger to get to Recovery Menu. Go to Configuration and change GAME FOLDER HOMEBREW from 150 to 352. Exit and reboot PSP, then run the update from GAME/Memory Stick.

After that he needs to apply 3.90 M33:
    Again download the Dark_Alex 3.90 CFW and Sony 3.90FW. Then rename Sony EBOOT.PBP to 390.PBP and place in the UPDATE folder from Dark_Alex 3.90 CFW. Copy this to PSP/GAME and then run the installer from GAME/Memory Stick.

So it is possible then?! You say it isnt, and then describe how to do it!

Non-pandora updating is much easier than using pandora, especially for an old psp fat model. Creating a pandora is not easy for someone who isnt experienced, despite what you claim is a noob-proof method.

A three update method is much safer and easier, although longer. And he would not have to change the kernel for GAME folder, since everything will run from GAME by default.

I'm not trying to start agro here, i'm just saying that pandora should used be a last resort

Sorry Animax thats a load of ****e.
    I didn't say it wasn't possible. You suggested to downgrade to 1.50FW then install all the updates again which is an exercise in torture and possible PSP brick.

I don't know where you are reading this crap that using pandora is difficult or dangerous for phat or not not experienced people.
    Pandora was difficult for PSP Slim using the original version of Pandora DC V1 since it had no display support and you were flashing blind.
    Since DC V3 & 4, it has had full display support and takes 2 mins to complete.

I can't see how its hard to make the Pandora in your opinion. You run the program, press X to make Service Battery and thats it. Not hard-modding, nothing.

You are also incorret with changing the GAME FOLDER HOMEBREW as using 3.40OE or 3.52M33 will look for the GAME150 folder by default and not allow the install to proceed. You will get the error message:
    "You need to be on 3.52 M33 to complete this installation"

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You suggested to downgrade to 1.50FW then install all the updates again which is an exercise in torture and possible PSP brick.

And messing with the nand, ipl's and eeproms isn't?!!!

Look, whatever man, i'm just giving the guy a second option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

ongarite wrote: »
    How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Universal Pandora Memory Stick (UPMS):

Maybe I'm just thick but I have no idea what any of this means. Can anyone re-write this in simple english please?

How to install of a software based modchip on your PSP (CFW= Custom Firmware) using an application called Universal Pandora Memory Stick.
    The hardware/software application called Pandora Battery is a clone basically of what Sony use to fix broken PSPs.
    It consists of a modified battery that boots your PSP into Service Mode and a Memory Stick with IPL (software at certain memory location) installed and then the files to modify your PSP.

Advertisement