Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello - I'm from Australia

Options
  • 21-02-2008 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I found this site while I was researching Champix. It has only just in the last 6 weeks become available in Australia under our NHS. Just wondering if any of you have had success, or is it like Zyban, which made me so darn sick that I wanted to give up smoking and everything else.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Im irish and currently living in Australia. Its a hard place to smoke. Those health warnings, the horrible ads on tv, the pictures on the cigarettes, and lots of judgemental people. its all a bit sick and really does one of two things. I alternatively want to give up so desperately I would chuck a pack out or give it away, and by turns it would make me so angry that they dont get it that it makes me smoke all the more. Do you think that the tough stance they are taking encourages people to quit or the opposite? Good luck with your efforts. Unfortunately i have tried neither of these things that you mention. I actually have never heard of them! So this post will not help you at all. And I probably shouldnt post it. But still. Encouragement to you, from me, in Melbourne, via Ireland. That's long distance encouragement. 001161 encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

champix was in the news recently because it has been linked to suicidal feelings and aggressive behaviour (hasnt been pulled off the market as far as i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

My brother has used Champix and is off the cigs since New Years Day. I think they did make him a bit sick at times, and he has another month left on them, but he seems to be doing well with it. Hasn't smoked, and doesn't think he will again either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 melix

Thank you, just wanted some feedback on how people had got on with the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 melix

Just thought that some of the others, who had tried it - had made the change - those who were going to try it. I know about the popential depression. Thanks for your input. Guess I'll try it. But it would have been greater if I'd had some more feedback from those who had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

melix wrote: »
    Just thought that some of the others, who had tried it - had made the change - those who were going to try it. I know about the popential depression. Thanks for your input. Guess I'll try it. But it would have been greater if I'd had some more feedback from those who had!
    We can't really give medical advice here.
    Opens us up to libel (Irish internet laws are messed up).

All I can really say is that if it starts fúcking with you, then stop using it.

It may be that those who have tried it no longer use this part of the site. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi

I've been taking champix for 3 weeks and 2 days.
    The first 3 days you just take .5mg and there are bearly and side effects apart from stomach rumbling.

Then you take 2 x .5mg tabs for 4 days, by now you start to stub out your cigs a bit before the end and feel a bit 'smoked out'. The rumbling turned into woozey tummy for me and the full glass of water your supposed to drink was turning my stomach.

Then for week 2 you take a 1mg tab twice a day from then on for 13 weeks.
    When I started taking this dosage everything changed. I was so sick after taking the morning tablet I couldn't get out of bed. According to my friends it was just like morning sickness, everything turned my stomach, lights, smells, patterns, noise etc.

I was supposed to stop smoking on day 12 but I just kept smoking, I had gone from 25 down to 11 per day in 12 days so knew something was working.

Day 13 I got to 2pm as usual, smoked about 5 cigs, on the way back to work from lunch i realised I hadn't had a cig during my lunch hour, I just couldn't be bothered. At 12pm that night I realsied I hadn't had 1 since 2pm, but I went off to sleep anyway. It wasn't till 2 days latter that I realised I still hadn't had a cig and I threw the 1/2 pack I still had with me in the bin!!

Haven't smoked 1 since not even a sneaky one, like when your on the patches!

So rest assured they definatly worked on me.

The side effects are stronger than any of the warnings on the pack but it is still worth it.

I have tired everything else.

I now take an anti sickness tab 30mins before food, then eat then take champix then I have bread then water and most of the time this works for me.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi,
    Ive been off the ciggies for 2 weeks and 2 days, which was day 9 of taking champix.
    By day 8, i found that the ciggies tasted disgusting, which helped!
    Personally i have found champix great. Ive only had a few of the side effects myself-bad headaches, abnormal dreams, daytime tiredness and nausea once or twice.

Its quite funny how the cravings go, for the first few days i think i could have quite easily gone back on the cigs (thank god for willpower and the fact that the cravings are not too strong), now its not so much a craving its more a "habit"- ie I sit down to chat with my sister on the phone and i automatically reach for my cigs, then realise i dont smoke anymore! I hope that makes sense!

Its only early days yet, but hopefully when the course of tablets is finished i will be a fully fledged non smoker.

wmpdd3: where you told to drink a glass of water when taking them? I just take enough water to swallow the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, and i tried but after a few days the water just came straight back up. So I just drink enough to kake the tablet then try eat something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Hi

I've been taking champix for 3 weeks and 2 days.
    The first 3 days you just take .5mg and there are bearly and side effects apart from stomach rumbling.

Then you take 2 x .5mg tabs for 4 days, by now you start to stub out your cigs a bit before the end and feel a bit 'smoked out'. The rumbling turned into woozey tummy for me and the full glass of water your supposed to drink was turning my stomach.

Then for week 2 you take a 1mg tab twice a day from then on for 13 weeks.
    When I started taking this dosage everything changed. I was so sick after taking the morning tablet I couldn't get out of bed. According to my friends it was just like morning sickness, everything turned my stomach, lights, smells, patterns, noise etc.

I was supposed to stop smoking on day 12 but I just kept smoking, I had gone from 25 down to 11 per day in 12 days so knew something was working.

Day 13 I got to 2pm as usual, smoked about 5 cigs, on the way back to work from lunch i realised I hadn't had a cig during my lunch hour, I just couldn't be bothered. At 12pm that night I realsied I hadn't had 1 since 2pm, but I went off to sleep anyway. It wasn't till 2 days latter that I realised I still hadn't had a cig and I threw the 1/2 pack I still had with me in the bin!!

Haven't smoked 1 since not even a sneaky one, like when your on the patches!

So rest assured they definatly worked on me.

The side effects are stronger than any of the warnings on the pack but it is still worth it.

I have tired everything else.

I now take an anti sickness tab 30mins before food, then eat then take champix then I have bread then water and most of the time this works for me.

Hope this helps

would of being easier just going cold turkey. would of saved you going through all that misery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm on day 8 of giving up cold turkey. I would have easily smoked 20-25 a day and quit on Easter Sunday having smoked for 18 odd years. I didn't bother with and nicotine replacement or anything like that, just bought loads of normal chewing gum. The first 3 days were hard but it got much easier after that.

Hi NC6000! You quit 1 week, 12 hours, 26 minutes & 45 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 187 cigs, saved EUR 70 and added 15.58 hours to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tanyamae2000

Well i am taking champix and have gone from a heavy smoker for twenty three years to nothing! I have had no side effects and easily control craving but i think i am addicted to chewing gum. I know that everyone will tell you how easy champix makes giving up and dont get me wrong it really does. But the truth is everyday i think about how good a smoke would taste and how calm i would feel if i just had one, just one. But i have not had a smoke in six days and damn it, it has been so hard to get to where i am there is no bloody way i am having a smoke and having to go through all of this again! Champix works even my husband is on them and it has been six days for him too! But nothing is an easy option and while they help HEAPS you still need to have will power. And when the kids are screaming and the house looks like a bomb has hit it and the dog is barking and my mother-in-law knocks at the door then a smoke looks really really really tempting but i am going out to buy shares in Wrigleys cause chewing gum here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement