Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men working in ladies underwear shops

Options
  • 21-02-2008 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Any other girls a wee bit un-nerved by this?! I don't quite feel comfy chucking naughty smalls up on the counter to some young pup (with a pen1s!) and the occasional 'knowing' stare they give me.

PS: I know there are sexism laws etc, it just creeps me out a bit :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well from a 'young pup's' point of view it's certainly no fun to be bagging knickers of boat sail proportions. I actually found it quite embarrassing when i did it. There were certainly no 'knowing' stares from me. Chuck them in the bag as quick as possible and hoped they paid cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I was travelling through New Zealand a while back, and I remembered (after about a week) that I'd run out of jocks.

Was livin out of a backpack, so nowhere near a laundry.

The only shop that sold blokes boxers, and only had ones with a HUGE playboy bunny emblazoned across the front.

So I had to stroll up to the counter, where there was an extremely hot lady, and an old bag serving. There was no-one esle in the shop, so one of them served me, and the other put them in the bag for me.

7 poxy pairs I needed to buy!

I had a huge reddener on me.

Me (male) mare was standing behind me, giving them the "yea, I know him, and he IS a pervert" look.

Vert smug. Til I told him they definitely thought we were a gay couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I was travelling through New Zealand a while back, and I remembered (after about a week) that I'd run out of jocks.

Was livin out of a backpack, so nowhere near a laundry.

The only shop that sold blokes boxers, and only had ones with a HUGE playboy bunny emblazoned across the front.

So I had to stroll up to the counter, where there was an extremely hot lady, and an old bag serving. There was no-one esle in the shop, so one of them served me, and the other put them in the bag for me.

7 poxy pairs I needed to buy!

Me (male) mare was standing behind me, giving them the "yea, I know him, and he IS a pervert" look.

Vert smug. Til I told him they definitely thought we were a gay couple.

In a situation like that it's commando FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

At the wholesale end of the business all the best lingerie salesmen are male.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I used to work in Penneys and was in underwear shopping well after I had left, the tils were busy, about 8 staff at them, 7 girls, 1 guy, guess who happened to be free when I was top of the queue, plus I knew him from work :o he slagged the crap out of me needless to say :D

I wouldnt mind so much it being someone I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

ellscurr wrote: »
    Any other girls a wee bit un-nerved by this?! I don't quite feel comfy chucking naughty smalls up on the counter to some young pup (with a pen1s!) and the occasional 'knowing' stare they give me.

PS: I know there are sexism laws etc, it just creeps me out a bit :cool:

Just think how lads must feel when buying condoms/lube/some sort of treatment for STDs and the only person on the tills is female.
    Or what about when they go to buy their "lads mag" and find only females at the tills.
    Meh, so it's a little uncomfortable, but only if you let it be, and anyway the majority of young women seem to wear jeans/trousers of such a poor fit that half the lads will probably see their "naughty smalls" anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

farohar wrote: »
    Just think how lads must feel when buying condoms/lube/some sort of treatment for STDs and the only person on the tills is female.
    Or what about when they go to buy their "lads mag" and find only females at the tills.
    Meh, so it's a little uncomfortable, but only if you let it be, and anyway the majority of young women seem to wear jeans/trousers of such a poor fit that half the lads will probably see their "naughty smalls" anyway.

I dunno, I think a chick working in a pharmacy or newsagent is a wee bit different to a fella working in La Senza (where nothing in there could possibly be bought for him). My local La Senza has two lads working there who are pretty young and give you the stare when you bring up your purchases :cool:

Try being an approachable looking female. Female counter assistants tend to make small talk/peruse over my purchases! Isn't there an unwritten law against that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Have to say I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Can't say i'd be too bothered myself. Depends where it is though - La Senza they'd obviously be doing it all day. Department store - might be a little self conscious :(

ellscurr wrote: »
    in La Senza (where nothing in there could possibly be bought for him).

You never know.:rolleyes:;) Takes all sorts, each to their own and all that. lol
    If anything I think the novelty of the "sexy" underwear would wear off fast if you were dealing with it all day every day, so soon enough the lads probably won't even give it a second thought, let alone give you funny looks.

Am I the only one thinking of that Fr. Ted Episode where they all get lost in the underwear section of the department store?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

A good few years ago I was on the way to visit a young lady I knew was up for it ;) I popped into tescos to get some 'essentials' but when i got to the counter I found I didn't have enough cash. :eek: Luckily I had my bank card, so I gave the lady that. Only thing was I had forgotten I had gone over my limit and she had to ring through for confirmation it was me.

Imagine the scene, 'box of 6, please' 'Oh bugger, can you put it on my card?' 'Sorry sir, can you come to customer services, we need to get authorisation' I nearly died! :eek:

Good thing was they allowed the purchase and I got my oats! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I guess the same way women feel when they have to buy these things with men on the till?

I might have cared about the knickers thing when I was a bit younger but now I'm all like "Oh yeah baby! These sexy little things are gonna be on me! You want it! I know you're dyin' for it! Now bag them, b!tch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I have to say it really doesn't bother me unless it was something really kinky.... and La Senza tends to be on the tamer end of that scale :p

But saying that I went to buy condoms and lube in the pharmacy last week and got embarrassed when there was a guy watching me at the display. So embarrassed that I walked out without purchasing...:o The Shame (of not sticking my ground and buying what I had to buy!). You live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 The Dudette

I have to say it was a bit mortifying for me when I was younger, but I wouldn't be bothered by that now....And is it just me or are there more women behind the tills of underwear stores these days?? Mostly I only see guys working in these departments when they're going to and from the store room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Midna

I think it would depend on the vibe from the guy and the type of underwear I was buying for whether it would upset me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Sarahsassy, posting comments like that is uncalled for. If you disagree come up with something a little more eloquent. Another comment like or along the lines of that and you will be banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Am I the only one thinking of that Fr. Ted Episode where they all get lost in the underwear section of the department store?:D

Nope!

On topic/ i don't mind the gender of whoever is ringing up the purchases at the till, i kind of assume that they're doing it all day long and have gone into retail trance.

I wouldn't go along with a man doing the measuring bra sizes, or nipping in and out of the changing room getting different sizes mind.

An exboyf of mine would only buy condoms from chemists, where they'd give him a brown paper bag. And....only chemists with men behind the till. I live right beside a large Dunnes and a Boots. He'd give me the money to buy them, and hang around outside waiting, and having little freak outs "why did you give them your boots card? omg, now boots know you buy condoms!":confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Naah they knew what the job entailed when they applied for it!
    Personally, every woman wears bras/knickers so its not a big issue at all.
    And if hes cute you can just imagine what he looks like in his jocks.
    Its all good baby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

that kind of stuff doesn't bother me at all. sometimes i wonder though how guys feel in ann summers when they're buying stuff for their OH and there's only girls behind the counter! i've never seen a guy behind the counter in that shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, it took you a week to remember that you had run out ...?!

/sighs

You can take the man out of Tallaght, but ...!
    That probably didn't help, all right. Could you not have thought about Faceman or something for a couple of minutes until it went down?

Seriously, women, why the hell should you care if "some young pup (with a pen1s!)" ... well, one hopes the poor guys have, anyway, and that they didn't have to sacrifice it in order to be allowed to work there :rolleyes: ... are packing your scanties for you, or giving you a 'knowing' stare? Give them a wink back, and leave them feeling jealous / frustrated!

Actually, wouldn't it be a hell of a lot more insulting if they couldn't be bothered looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

ive never come across men working in la senza. my bf wont even walk into the place, id say it would take a brave enough man to work there! & if they work there then theyre surrounded by it all day, unless the customer is particularly stunning or doing something to draw attention to yourself or something i doubt theyre paying much attention to you.

as for men being embarassed buying condoms, i never really understood that either. surely itd be more "yes, they are condoms, yes i AM having sex! :D". my bf used to be a bit funny about buying them, think hes just used to it now. doesnt like me being there when hes buying them for some reason.

It's stuff like this that makes men nervous about buying condoms:
    Meeting the parents:
    A girl asks her boyfriend to come over Friday night and have dinner with her parents. Since this is such a big event, the girl announces to her boyfriend that after dinner she would like to go out and make love for the first time.

Well, the boy is ecstatic, but he has never had sex before, so he takes a trip to the pharmacist to get some condoms. The pharmacist helps the boy for about an hour. He tells the boy everything there is to know about condoms and sex.

At the register, the pharmacist asks the boy how many condoms he'd like to buy, a 3-pack, 10-pack, or family pack. The boy insists on the family pack because he thinks he will be rather busy, it being his first time and all.

That night, the boy shows up at the girl's parents house and meets his girlfriend at the door. "Oh, I'm so excited for you to meet my parents, come on in!"

The boy goes inside and is taken to the dinner table where the girl's parents are seated. The boy quickly offers to say grace and bows his head. A minute passes, and the boy is still deep in prayer, with his head down. 10 minutes pass, and still no movement from the boy.

Finally, after 20 minutes with his head down, the girlfriend leans over and whispers to the boyfriend, "I had no idea you were this religious."

The boy turns, and whispers back, "I had no idea your father was a pharmacist."
    :D

Seriously though, I think it's just down to the way we're raised to view it as a sinful & naughty act, hopefully once Irish society stops being so prudish about sex people won't get all flustered about what sex stuff they buy where.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ever see the old film "Summer of '42?" A very young and embarrassed teen lad tries to buy protection and when the clerk asks him what he plans to use them for, he says water balloons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thedizzler

I have to say, I always assume it's just a job for them. I used to work in a popular men's suit shop, and it does just get really routine. I'll measure it, but I don't really care what your inseem might be, if you know what I mean. Only ever had one guy a bit odd about it, so I don't feel that I can kick off when I see a guy behind the lingerie counter. Equal opportunities and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"seam" Its inseam love.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Wouldn't bother me, although wouldn't expect them to be in the fitting room with you doing measuring etc. my DH is not a huge fan of being with me when I go to buy bras however, he hates having to stand round near the fitting rooms looking at racks of bras while I'm in fitting them on, in case someone should mistake him for a pervert, or a transvestite out buying for himself.

Very like the Fr. Ted episode actually when the poor fella is dragged along bra shopping. He'd rather stay outside the store altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I was in TK Maxx a while back getting my friend a b-day pressie. i picked her up a Care Bears t-shirt and a skimpy red pair of frilly knicks for a laugh. The sales assistant asked me "Is that for yourself?" - I nearly died until I realised he was talking about the t-shirt!!!
    Normally wouldnt bother me though although had an embarassing situation in boots once buying 3-for-2 tampons where they woudnt scan in at the discount. It was quite funny hearing the guy saying "that offer is only on these applicator tampons"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I actualy think it odd...actualy irritating that while it's normal for women to work in men's stores...hardly any men are employed in ladies...at least here... I've been rejected...actualy hardly ever even been interviewed for vast numbers of ladies and children's stores...given my vast experience in retail...I can only conclude that in most cases I am (unfortunately) a man!

Advertisement