Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla electric sports car

Options
  • 21-02-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I'd love one of these.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds.

Top speed of 130mph.

They calculate that it does the equivalent of 135 miles gallon.

You would have great satisfaction being in the lowest VRT and road tax emission categories.

The future looks bright for performance cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

2 of the electric motors from the Tesla car have enough power to power a city BUS! Delfi, who are also part of GM used parts from the Tesla in the development of hybrid busses....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

What a great car, been reading about them for about a year.
    Apparently there is a long waiting list for them in the states, but it would be a great car to get for 60,000 euro with the weak dollar if possible.
    Shame about the Left hand drive only tho. It would be sweet to have a wind turbine on top of your garage charging the batterys so you would get free motoring. Also due to the tiny amount of moving parts compared to a regular car i'm sure the reliability would be pretty good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very old thread but worthy of resurrection I feel :)

According to autoexpress, it is on sale in Europe...if you have £92000 to spare.

Apparently, it makes so little noise that safety campaigners are worried that people won't hear the car coming and this could cause more pedestrian accidents. Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Apparently, it makes so little noise that safety campaigners are worried that people won't hear the car coming and this could cause more pedestrian accidents. Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code then? :rolleyes:

This is a serious problem with every electric car, i've driven quite a few of them...

They are lovely to drive, smooth and so quiet, just like the new AC DART trains ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a review of it in todays Irish Times: Tesla electric supercar makes it to Europe

• Advertisement

Well I'm really looking forward to the day when we are all driving electric cars and we won't have any more boy-racer twats fitting super-noisy exhausts to their cars any more :)

Although, it has been suggested that these cars may be fitted with a recording of an engine noise to make them more noticeable...I can see a market for boy-racers buying "Ferarri F430" engine noises for their Saxo's and Glanzas...:rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks kbannon :)

/when did the Irish Times online become free? IT used to be €72 a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

kbannon wrote: »
    There is a review of it in todays Irish Times: Tesla electric supercar makes it to Europe

Isn't really a review though :confused:

Sorry - this was the link I had intended to post (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0827/1219680008357.html)
    I didn't realsie there were two articles on it in the one supplement!

/when did the Irish Times online become free? IT used to be €72 a year...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0628/1214567648629.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Well I'm really looking forward to the day when we are all driving electric cars and we won't have any more boy-racer twats fitting super-noisy exhausts to their cars any more :)

Although, it has been suggested that these cars may be fitted with a recording of an engine noise to make them more noticeable...I can see a market for boy-racers buying "Ferarri F430" engine noises for their Saxo's and Glanzas...:rolleyes:

I can see it now - no more crazy frog ringtones - they'll all be downloading the latest formula 1 engine sounds.

Back to teh Tesla - looks like an interesting project, the thing Iwould be very interested to know is the cost of the batteries and their cycle rating - must have a look at their website.

• Advertisement

Downloadable engine noises...Nooooo!!!! :)

Very good review and video of the car in action in this weeks iMotor

http://dennis.cerosmedia.com/1V48a196020eca4739.cde

It's on Pages 14 and 15.

It really is quiet!! Although you only realise that about 1.30 into the video when they stop the music and the reviewer stops talking.

Phenomenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Take away the press shots and look at it on the road... It's nowhere near as pretty as an elise... It looks unfinished in my opinion
    393866815_c0757d30bd.jpg
    396556576_87c785694e.jpg
    396556699_93095b6515.jpg

I personally think the Elise is a god-awful looking car, it's like a toy car. I'm disappointed that it looks so much like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A sports car that will sound like a washing machine.

I'll pass.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    A sports car that will sound like a washing machine.

I'll pass.

That's so old fashioned of you :pac:

Actually, I just thought of another problem, with less engine noise, when we're all driving these cars, we'll be able to hear other drivers choices of music even more clearly :(

Great, now I'll have earfulls of Scooter on a Friday night as the boy-racers preen and prance about in their cars :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

japasca wrote: »
    Shame about the Left hand drive only tho.

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/28/euro_roadster/
    thereg wrote:
    The company also plans to build 250 European Roadsters, which will be fully completed at Lotus, and will set up sales and support operations in the UK and Germany.

That would make me think the Uk spec car might right hand drive?

That article also notes that the European cars will have the full power transmission from the start (0-60 in 4 secs or so) where as the US cars delivered to date have an intermediate transmission (_only_ doing 0-60 in 6 secs).

Paddy

Advertisement