Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Florida adopts 'scientific theory of evolution'

• 21-02-2008 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23238493/
    TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida's State Board of Education has voted to use the term "scientific theory of evolution" in its new science standards, the first time the word "evolution" has been included.
    150 years later, they cop on.
    A Gallup poll released in June said America is about evenly split over whether evolution is true, despite decades of overwhelming scientific evidence that it is.
    ^^^ Proof that at least 50% of Americans are brain dead. Isn't that the same amount who voted Bush in? :P :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's crazy.

You left out the best bit:
    Florida's current standards require the teaching of evolution using code words like "change over time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did they acutally find the missing link then?

Or are we just accepting mans evolution from de monkeys on faith now? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bambi wrote: »
    Did they acutally find the missing link then?

Or are we just accepting mans evolution from de monkeys on faith now? :)

Man did not evolve from monkeys.

If monkeys evolved into man, then there would be no monkeys.

We evolved from a monkey-like creature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pics of the missing link or it didnt happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So Florida has evolved then. In another 150 years they might jus accept global warming.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

n42241.jpg

There you go Bambi!

OT - holy crap. That's absolutely crazy. They bang on about islamic fundamentalists and they are pretty much a christian fundamentalists!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bambi wrote: »
    pics of the missing link or it didnt happen

Ian-Brown-The-Greatest-334927.jpg

Edit: Do IMG tags work on this forum???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Don1 wrote: »
    n42241.jpg

There you go Bambi!

OT - holy crap. That's absolutely crazy. They bang on about islamic fundamentalists and they are pretty much a christian fundamentalists!!
    It all boils down to religion in the end, it's the crazy Christians vs the mad mullahs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I always find it hilarious, the number of people who will mock those who don't believe in evolution as "retards", but cannot themselves rebut the irreducible complexity arguement applied to the eye.

Note: I do believe in evolution, but nothing pisses me off more than a whiny little Athiest using science that he doesn't understand or even know, to put others down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

As a man of science ,my conclusion to this topic is simply :just a matter of believe or not.

My last sentence of EVERY assignment about evolution....always got me at least 80% i am happy:)

• Advertisement

I personally think this guy is the missing link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

How many Americans were polled that made you come to the conclusion that 150,000,000 or so are brain dead??...its exactly the type of ****e I've come to expect on this site...or just in this country in general. RTE had a poll on their site a few months back asking if Al Gore should run for president and the options were a f'in joke, It was nothing but pandering to gob****es like a few of yee on this thread. One of the options was No, The presidency is below him now...They had one yesterday asking what America should use to shoot down the spy satelite and one of the options was George W. Bush...that is our national broadcaster..sad sad sad sad petty bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How many Americans were polled that made you come to the conclusion that 150,000,000 or so are brain dead??...its exactly the type of ****e I've come to expect on this site...or just in this country in general. RTE had a poll on their site a few months back asking if Al Gore should run for president and the options were a f'in joke, It was nothing but pandering to gob****es like a few of yee on this thread. One of the options was No, The presidency is below him now...They had one yesterday asking what America should use to shoot down the spy satelite and one of the options was George W. Bush...that is our national broadcaster..sad sad sad sad petty bull****
    wasting your breath tbh.

.They had one yesterday asking what America should use to shoot down the spy satelite and one of the options was George W. Bush...that is our national broadcaster..sad sad sad sad petty bull****

Thats brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

They had one yesterday asking what America should use to shoot down the spy satelite and one of the options was George W. Bush...that is our national broadcaster..sad sad sad sad petty bull****

That is pretty bad from our Nation Broadcaster alright.

A wee, wiry yoke like George would not make much of an impact on a Device built to withstand outer space. In keeping with another thread running in this forum, I would suggest the current Minister for Health would be a far better option. Although moving her into posistion would surely hasten the onset of Peak Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

I always like the Evolution Theory episode of Friends ...

PHOEBE: Ok, look, before you even start, I'm not denying evolution, ok, I'm just saying that it's one of the possibilities.

ROSS: It's the only possibility, Phoebe.

PHOEBE: Ok, Ross, could you just open your mind like this much, ok? Wasn't there a time when the brightest minds in the world believed that the world was flat? And, up until like what, 50 years ago, you all thought the atom was the smallest thing, until you split it open, and this like, whole mess of crap came out. Now, are you telling me that you are so unbelievably arrogant that you can't admit that there's a teeny tiny possibility that you could be wrong about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Meh its only a theory. Like everything in science these things are just models of understanding. In 100 years from now how will new theories reshape those models. Will we look back at evolution and laugh at our stupidity ? look at newton laws which have now been surpassed by general relativity and quantum mechanics. When xenu lands in the future all those smirks will be wiped away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mully wrote: »
    I always like the Evolution Theory episode of Friends ...

PHOEBE: Ok, look, before you even start, I'm not denying evolution, ok, I'm just saying that it's one of the possibilities.

ROSS: It's the only possibility, Phoebe.

PHOEBE: Ok, Ross, could you just open your mind like this much, ok? Wasn't there a time when the brightest minds in the world believed that the world was flat? And, up until like what, 50 years ago, you all thought the atom was the smallest thing, until you split it open, and this like, whole mess of crap came out. Now, are you telling me that you are so unbelievably arrogant that you can't admit that there's a teeny tiny possibility that you could be wrong about this?

That quote has stayed my rant :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

DaBreno wrote: »
    A wee, wiry yoke like George would not make much of an impact on a Device built to withstand outer space. In keeping with another thread running in this forum, I would suggest the current Minister for Health would be a far better option. Although moving her into posistion would surely hasten the onset of Peak Oil.

:D:D Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I always find it hilarious, the number of people who will mock those who don't believe in evolution as "retards", but cannot themselves rebut the irreducible complexity arguement applied to the eye.

Note: I do believe in evolution, but nothing pisses me off more than a whiny little Athiest using science that he doesn't understand or even know, to put others down.
    Diagram_of_eye_evolution.svg irreducibly complex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

If God made us...Well then he didn't do a good job! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Man did not evolve from monkeys.

If monkeys evolved into man, then there would be no monkeys.

We evolved from a monkey-like creature.

its entirely possible that there were two groups of the same species of monkey, one of which evolved and one of which didn't. just because one group evolved doesn't necessarily mean they interbred with every other group and completely eradicated their genome.

we did evolve from a monkey like creature because the monkey genome as it exists today didn't exist back then but my point is that just because some members of a species evolve, doesn't mean the old species completely disappears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

I know of a fella who is living evidence that the human race is evolving into monkeys.

Diagram_of_eye_evolution.svg irreducibly complex?
    Can't open the file, but I'm going to guess that it is a simplified diagram of the eye. If it is, then I must point out that every part of the eye is mind-boggling complex (we would have trouble building a similar machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Can't open the file, but I'm going to guess that it is a simplified diagram of the eye. If it is, then I must point out that every part of the eye is mind-boggling complex (we would have trouble building a similar machine)
    If you think evolutionary theory can't explain the eye, where did it come from so?

agamemnon wrote: »
    If you think evolutionary theory can't explain the eye, where did it come from so?

If you read my first post, you will see that I said that I do believe in evolution.
    As for the eye question, I've asked lecturers in science, and the answers were always pretty bull****ty (along the lines of: it was a heat sensor, then it got better).
    I'm sure we will explain it one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay lets talk about the intelligent design of the computer. First we had analog computers, for centuries. Man invented these things.

Then the digital computer comes about. We now have a binary computing system. These start to evolve in iterations: 2-bit, 4-bit, 8-bit... you were a rich bastard if you could process at a speed of a couple hundred Hertz.

Now, the computer was just a simple unit: Processor, Motherboard, RAM, Input and Output. Shortly on, computers required a need for permanent storage, so floppy disks and hard drives were developed. Then as Computers faced more demands, they developed parts to communicated via phone lines; run complicated 3-Dimensional algorithms; Communicate Wirelessly; etc.

Now, the computer is not a living thing. I am a living thing. You cannot shut me off and put in a brand new organ for telepathy, install a hard drive (because we have none) etc. So if you were a God, or an Alien named Xenu, how best to distribute these updates? Why: through Evolution! Yes! Of Course! I am God: and my people no longer of need for an Appendix - so I will remove it! "Uh, dad: you cant really do that: people would notice if suddenly all newborns had no appendix". Well sonnofobitch, Jesus you're right, so I'll just be patient and remove the Appendix slowly over time...

"Or maybe we can leave it there to test their faith like the Dinosoar bones?"

No, Jesus; thats just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

DaveMcG wrote: »

got there before me. as you can see from the video this was explained years and years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Id say Dawrin would be pissed that someone like Dawkins is using his theory for his own agenda.

Yeah, his agenda of trying to understand the universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    its entirely possible that there were two groups of the same species of monkey, one of which evolved and one of which didn't. just because one group evolved doesn't necessarily mean they interbred with every other group and completely eradicated their genome.

we did evolve from a monkey like creature because the monkey genome as it exists today didn't exist back then but my point is that just because some members of a species evolve, doesn't mean the old species completely disappears

Indeed.
    Look at me. I'm evolved way beyond any of you paeons.
    You are all chimps compared to me.
    Bow before me and the lump on my neck that make me better than the rest of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I was educated in the Florida public school system and we learned about Darwin's theory of evolution. According to my mother - who's been a Florida public school teacher for 26 years - they've been teaching the theory of evolution for as long as she's been teaching in the state. This is just the state specifically requiring it now in their written standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23238493/

150 years later, they cop on.

^^^ Proof that at least 50% of Americans are brain dead. Isn't that the same amount who voted Bush in? :P :D

I hate to burst your bubble, mate.

have a look at this book.

In the Minds of Men: Darwin and the New World Order" by Ian Taylor

There is no truth whatsoever in the evolution theory.

All that evidence is pretty misleading in that case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Jeez, of all the theories in the world evolution is almost the most solid. I don't know how Creationists manage to find the time and energy to perform mental gymnastics to support their view.

Jeez, of all the theories in the world evolution is almost the most solid. I don't know how Creationists manage to find the time and energy to perform mental gymnastics to support their view.

But why do people have to accept anything. Why not live your live? Who is man to think that he can explain the entire workings of the universe.

Many internal flaws need to be sorted out before we even think of looking outward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Midna

in fairness, i think the population of florida is the among the oldest in the united states. My granny used to say evolution was against the church and I think alot of her generation did too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Who is man to think that he can explain the entire workings of the universe.

Man is the creature that managed to explain many other workings. Naturally we would want to figure out as much of the universe as we possibly could. We are generally a curious species who find pleasure in figuring out how things work.

But why do people have to accept anything. Why not live your live? Who is man to think that he can explain the entire workings of the universe.

Many internal flaws need to be sorted out before we even think of looking outward.

I never said anything about accepting. TBH, the theory itself came out of not accepting, or finding alternatives to the previous explanations for how different species came about.

It's a fairly common trait-to be curious and not accepting all the time, is it not?

• Advertisement

That's pretty deep, man......

However, if people followed that rationale, we'd all still be dying of the flu, or during childbirth, or by other preventable causes.......... in our 30's, rather than 70's and 80's as today.

You sort out your own internal flaws, and leave scientists to look outwards and try to explain the world and improve conditions for others, as they've been successfully doing for the past few centuries.

That's pretty deep, man......

However, if people followed that rationale, we'd all still be dying of the flu, or during childbirth, or by other preventable causes.......... in our 30's, rather than 70's and 80's as today.

You sort out your own internal flaws, and leave scientists to look outwards and try to explain the world and improve conditions for others, as they've been successfully doing for the past few centuries.

Who mentioned scientists? I was referring to theologians and such like. Evolutionary theory is not a science, if anything it is a religion.

As for scientists improving my life in any way, not yet.

Who mentioned scientists? I was referring to theologians and such like. Evolutionary theory is not a science, if anything it is a religion.

Huh? How so? {quote]

As for scientists improving my life in any way, not yet.[/QUOTE]

What if you develop an illness? You might be glad of science then, and the treatments that are available due to science?

What about communication-internet etc? Food supplies?

ah, a troll I see.

good lad

Just clicked on your web-page Rigormortis. Do you believe in that stuff?

Man is the creature that managed to explain many other workings. Naturally we would want to figure out as much of the universe as we possibly could. We are generally a curious species who find pleasure in figuring out how things work.

Fair enough. You can have all the theories you want, just dont force them down the throat of my children.

Just clicked on your web-page Rigormortis. Do you believe in that stuff?

Not believe, that would suggest blind obedience. You should listen to a few shows. His one yesterday was a fine example of Alan's work.

ah, a troll I see.

good lad

This accusation has been leveled at me time and time again. Just because I dont go with the flow does not make me a troll.

This accusation has been leveled at me time and time again. Just because I dont go with the flow does not make me a troll.
    Yeah it's the nonsense that you post that makes you a troll

Enough!

Yeah it's the nonsense that you post that makes you a troll

Enough!

Care to quote an example?

• Advertisement
Advertisement