Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What County has the worst drivers?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Do you always come across bad drivers from the same county? I know i do!
    Please nominate which county in Ireland has the worst drivers in your opinion?
    Some reasons as to why your nominating them are welcome!?

I'll get the ball rolling with TN or TS drivers!
    They seem to think the speed limit is 75kmph on the open road and 60kmph through towns. They never indicate correctly or have all their lights working! Idiots!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How do you know their from Tipperary ?

I had a Dublin reg and i was living in Cork and from Cork.

I should have been weaving all over the place .. give the dublin langers a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Donegal. They're practically in your boot 95% of the time and the other 5% of the time they're overtaking you on some boreen that is barely wide enough for two cows to get past each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Meath. MH cars drive aggressively in dublin more so than any other county registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

craichoe wrote: »
    How do you know their from Tipperary ?

I realise there is a large margin for error here!
    However Most of the time its because there in a TN reg 1987 Nissan Sunny, driving in Tipperary and there is a look of general mucksavage from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GHGW

Co Clare without a doubt!!! I drive about 35K a year around Ireland and I have never seen such bad drivers since I moved to Clare.

Tailgating
    Full beams at night while approcahing
    Incorrect aligned lights
    Worn tyres
    Damaging cars in car parks and driving off
    Driving in wrong land or in centre of road
    Weaving
    Speeding
    Tailgating a truck with no intention of passing

My car has over 1500 of body damage from tipperary and clare car parks in only the last 7 months before that I drove it on mainly the east coast for 2 years without a mark on it.

I even know who damaged my car and where they live but Gardai cant do a thing as no CCTV proof.

Cant wait to get the hell out of here and back to the safety of the East Coast roads.

R

The list goes on and in second place Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Roscommon, drive too slow, pull out in front of you, overtake in daft places, never indicate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

second vote for donegal. roads are narrow with lots of blind spots. And they drive high beam that makes you blind at blind spots.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bit of a ridiculous thread as it's all just complete generalisations!! From my experience, the best drivers in the country would be in Dublin. Think it's because it's a fairly pressured place to drive in and you need to be on the ball. I'm what you might class as a culchie, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've found the *N and *O plates the worst for driving slowly, erratically (speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down - making it impossible to overtake), weaving, lack of use of indicators, etc. Odd that it makes up the majority of the border counties, that.

As goes DL, we drive too fast. Significantly too fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

GHGW wrote: »
    Co Clare without a doubt!!! I drive about 35K a year around Ireland and I have never seen such bad drivers since I moved to Clare.

Tailgating
    Full beams at night while approcahing
    Incorrect aligned lights
    Worn tyres
    Damaging cars in car parks and driving off
    Driving in wrong land or in centre of road
    Weaving
    Speeding
    Tailgating a truck with no intention of passing

My car has over 1500 of body damage from tipperary and clare car parks in only the last 7 months before that I drove it on mainly the east coast for 2 years without a mark on it.

I even know who damaged my car and where they live but Gardai cant do a thing as no CCTV proof.

Cant wait to get the hell out of here and back to the safety of the East Coast roads.

R

The list goes on and in second place Tipperary.
    Agree 100% with you. Suicidal the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Drivers from Northern Ireland when they visit our country. They know they can't get points and will act the tit when they're here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Without doubt its Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Without doubt its Dublin.

I second that.

[generalisation] From my experience, Dublin drivers are way too cocky and over-confident. [/generalisation]

[fairly accurate generalisation] Anyone from any county that drives BMW's or Mercs, they seem to think they own the road! [/fairly accurate generalisation]

With regards to my second generalisation, there was a study carried out on drivers of BMW's and Mercedes' to see if they were the worst drivers, and it found that they are over-confident because they think that their cars are so safe because of all the "safety" features it has. Unfortunately, and some might say conveniently, i can't find a link to the survey/study.

A different survey
    Here's an interesting yet probably incorrect read...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In no particular order:
    Eastern Europeans
    Nigerians & other Africans
    Norn Irish
    All Irish provisional licence holders
    All Irish licence holders
    Everyone else

All of these can be found in all counties, so Im generalising that all drivers are the worst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dublin drivers without a doubt, i.e for common courtesy and South Dublin at that :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

Im going to nominate an area. Well two areas. Portmarnock and Malahide. Its full of idiots that dont indicate, take the extrem right of the road when turning left at the top of a one way street, slam on the brakes every 3 seconds, park their cars like a$$holes, stop in the middle of a busy street to let someone out of the car, do the scandinavian flick when they are turning corners........the list goes on and on..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Drivers from Northern Ireland when they visit our country. They know they can't get points and will act the tit when they're here.

I am confused - is Northern Ireland not part of our country?

I find eastern Europeans aren't actually bad drivers - they just don't obey the rules - they generally get it though which I can say for 95% of Irish drivers.

Dub's are the worst - right lane hoggin happens worst in or around the capital more so than on motorways further away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

I am from Westmeath and I'd have to say Westmeath..
    They are brutal. They NEVER indicate in town, they rarely bother to dim their headlights and seem to get off on blinding people. They overtake in dangerous places on tiny roads and they speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Statistics point to Dublin. If we have +100,000 D registrations a year, then it stands to reason most of the worst drivers will be here.

Either that or Leitrim, cos nobody will admit to being from there to stand up for themselves! ;)

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    No, it's part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They have a different flag and carry different passports.

We don't have any stake or claim over it, and it hasn't been part of "our country" since 1920.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

We don't have any stake or claim over it, and it hasn't been part of "our country" since 1920.
    I dare you to post that on the politics forum. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Where im from Carlow the pass rate is 42 per cent. Im waiting to do my test. Anyone know where to get the smaller version l plates as the bigger ones are a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Where im from Carlow the pass rate is 42 per cent. Im waiting to do my test. Anyone know where to get the smaller version l plates as the bigger ones are a pain

The smaller ones are not legal, and you will fail the driving test if you show up with them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Celtic07 wrote: »

The plates are a mandated size, so anything else isn't legal. May as well not have them...

Put them on the outside of the windows and they intrude less due to overlapping the frames...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In my area it has to be the Kerry drivers.F**ckin speedfreaks.Thats just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

RobAMerc wrote: »

No, its part of the United Kingdom last time i checked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote: »
    No, it's part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They have a different flag and carry different passports.

DOes the Good Friday Agreement not mean anything?
    I better tell my wife's family that their Irish passports are void!
    Anyway, this is a motors forum so lets get back on topic.

kbannon wrote: »
    DOes the Good Friday Agreement not mean anything?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as part of the GFA didn't we relinquish any claim (arts 2 & 3) we had? (Not that it meant anything anyway) Under the GFA we all agreed NI is quite clearly part of the United Kingdom.

Like NI, a minority of people in the USA can carry Irish passports under certain circumstances. It doesn't make the USA part of the Republic of Ireland.

Your wife's family can be Irish, but that doesn't make NI part of our country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IanOCol

Having returned to Ireland 2 years ago after living with my parents in Austria and Germany (where I did my driving test) I say: all of the country.

As long as there's no proper training for drivers in Ireland BEFORE someone's allowed in a car or on a bike, there will be no decent driving.

I had to do 25 hrs of practical and 18 hrs of theoretical training for each car and bike......and failed my first attempt.
    So it was back to learning abit more (10/5hrs) and I got the licence at last.
    I felt save and confident enough to to German autobahns and going through the Uk with no problems for 4 years.
    But over here, they've frightened the sh*t out of me. Morons in cars.
    If there were decent public transport, I would never ever drive again in my country of birth.
    Every bloke from Poland/Latvia/Lithuania drives better than most of the Irish. It should be compulsary to do 10hrs of rush hour driving in Paris for us here. 90% of the licences would be revoked and driving a lot more safer

Advertisement