Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow.

Options
  • 21-02-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I have been offered a position in Carlow and may be moving there (from Australia) so have MANY questions.

1. Is it easy to find a share house?
    2. Does anyone know if it is easy to find gluten free food there (I know I know you are all probably saying what the)
    3. Is there a gym in the town, or a training group ie like bootcamp.
    4. Will I be able to find a GP
    5. I am sure I will think of a 5 if you give me time.
    6. What is Carlow like to live in....give it to me....the good, the bad...the curious.

Thanks everyone..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I have been offered a position in Carlow and may be moving there (from Australia) so have MANY questions.

2. Does anyone know if it is easy to find gluten free food there (I know I know you are all probably saying what the)
    6. What is Carlow like to live in....give it to me....the good, the bad...the curious.

Thanks everyone..

1. I think so. Try http://www.daft.ie I always find it useful when looking for a house.
    2. I've no idea. We have numerous supermarkets so I'd imagine its possible
    http://www.tesco.ie
    http://www.aldi.ie
    http://www.lidl.ie
    http://www.dunnesstores.ie
    http://www.superquinn.ie

There's more but they're the big ones

3. Gyms, Yes. In the Seven Oaks Hotel and The Talbot Hotel (is there more?)

http://www.talbothotelcarlow.ie/
    http://www.sevenoakshotel.com/tVrYX5hHuB5dErlFb6jk2LGz/linkto.aspx

4. Yes. There's a few GPs around
    5. When you ask it... I'll try answer it
    6. I really like Carlow. Traffic can be bad during rush hour and on weekends. There's plenty of shops. Lots of Pubs. There's a lack of live music. There's some nice places to eat out.

I dunno.... come see it for yourself :D

Whats the Job if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

Hi Shay,

Thanks for your reply, I am an occupational therapist.

Depending on how things go I may be there in May or June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Thanks everyone..

It's easy to find a house share. It's easy to find gluten-free food (half my family are coeliacs). Yes, there are several gyms and GPs in the town.

To be *absolutely* honest however, I wouldn't consider Carlow somewhere to be worth moving half-way across the world for. You might find it boring. It's not the *worst* spot in the world, but I'd recommend Cork or Galway before Carlow. When I was on work experience there, the foreigners in the company didn't like it that much (one of them buggered off home, he disliked it so much!). There's not a lot going on in Carlow, it's a small, conservative, rural town.Students might tell you otherwise, but the Carlow student experience isn't the same as working.

Of course, if you meet a good bunch of people through work/house-sharing, you might have a great time. Consider yourself warned as to the small, sleepy, conservative nature of Carlow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Q1. Looking for a house. As said above www.daft.ie is a great help when looking for a house in carlow but sometimes it tends not to show some of the houses that are available away from all the hoolla boolla on the outskirts of the town. Mainly to tell you the answer to question one about the best places to live we would need to know if you have a car to start wth. If you do and dependant on if you choose to live in the centre of a town or the outskirts there are plenty of places to match you're liking.

Q2. If you are looking for a place to dine out in a gluten free environment so as to speak then you could try here.

As for buying gluten free food there has to be gluten free food in shops around because i work with a coeliac and she must be eating simewhere lol. I shall find that out for you though. As far as i know supervalu in both carlow and bagenalstown which is a small town outside carlow only 15minutes away sell gluten free food i shall confirm this though.Also as said above you have tesco, superquinn, dunnes stores, lidl, aldi. actually lidl and aldi do provide a wide range of gluten free food for definite.

Q3. There are various gyms dotted around the town for you're usage. The main ones are the talbot(lovely) and the seven oaks(equally nice). There is also a fitness regime club above planet auto in the fair green and there is the olympus(think thats the name) gym in carlow shopping centre.The latter gym offers tae kwon do appartently and kickboxing and the like. There are plenty of places to keep you fit don't worry.

Q4. GP? will you be able to find a GP there are numerous GP's around carlow you'll find them alright its to get them to do anything is the problem.There is already a thread on the carlow board about this under the heading "hospital for carlow" Maybe someone else can fill that question for you because i honestly dont' know the answer.

Q5. Bring on Question 5 whenever lol.

Q6.Carlow at the moment is still a developing town as ShayK1 said traffic can be a pain but after living in waterford i would prefer carlow to it anyday the traffic in carlow in comparision to most places is acceptable. Carlow has a vast range of shops now that soon enough will be able to cater for almost everyone's needs. We are expecting a new cinema shortly *(sorry i meant cineplex and it is supposed to be state of the art).There is every style of pub to suit your needs, if you're a karaoke nut you have levs, clubbing the tower nice quiet pint at teach dolmen or watch the game in the massive tv's in the barracks.

Carlow is a lovely town to live in. One the whole quiet enough and the only way you will know yourself is to come over and experience it. Best of luck in the future with the new job.

visit here for more information on county carlow

Wow...thanks everyone for the replies, any insider information you can give me the better....

I know that it is a small town (may seem SMALL after 4.5 million in Sydney) so if it takes 1 hour to travel 15 kilometres (I think that is 30 miles) then I should be able to handle traffic.

the job is in Carlow, and I thought by living in a small town rather then Dublin etc I would get a better IRISH experience. Rather then a tourist experience. I also figure if I need a dose of big city I can go to Dublin or even London (seeing that a ticket to London cost as much as a taxi home from the city for me at the moment)

Dan, any information you have on the gluten free situation would be very much appreciated....as for the karoke...I can't hold a note...and I know this after trying after a few drinks...

Thanks all.....all replies appreciated...

• Advertisement

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Plenty of supermarkets sell gluten free, wheat free food. should not be an issue for you. (i'm wheat intolerent)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

All of the above seem pretty much bang on.

I think it's a grand spot. Fastest growing town in Ireland for a few years recently I think. I don't think it's too quiet. Quiet as you make it tbh. More live bands and it'd be perfect imo.

the job is in Carlow, and I thought by living in a small town rather then Dublin etc I would get a better IRISH experience. Rather then a tourist experience. I also figure if I need a dose of big city I can go to Dublin or even London (seeing that a ticket to London cost as much as a taxi home from the city for me at the moment)

I wouldn't read too much into the 'fastest-growing-town' stat. It's a commuter town for Dublin. People who work in Dublin are coming to live in Carlow because it offers affordable housing. It's not because of any special attraction that Carlow has.

I've done the 'foreigner in a small, off-the-beaten-track town thing'. I had a great time. That said, I was only there for 8/9 weeks, and I'd met loads of people to hang out with because of the nature of the job. If you don't make friends through your work or house-share, I think your experience is going to be very lonely. Advice such as "join a club or take up a sport" mightn't even be viable, because of the small size of Carlow. My info is out of date, but when I wanted to take up a sport or activity in the evenings 8/9 years ago to broaden my social circle, there was *nothing* on offer. This might be changed now, but even still, Carlow's not got a large population. You might find it difficult to meet people if you just start a job in Carlow without knowing anyone there. People who've been in the town for years, who went to school or college there might have a good social network, and think the town is great, and that it's easy to make friends, but your situation might be different. Carlow's not a town which attracts many globe-trotters out to see the world, surprisingly enough, so you may have trouble finding kindred spirits.

I'd advise Cork or Galway. Better scenery, better nightlife, more foreigners/tourists, more to do. Carlow's backwater status might give it a certain charm for a little while, but it could get old *real* quick.

newestUser wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into the 'fastest-growing-town' stat. It's a commuter town for Dublin. People who work in Dublin are coming to live in Carlow because it offers affordable housing. It's not because of any special attraction that Carlow has.

I've done the 'foreigner in a small, off-the-beaten-track town thing'. I had a great time. That said, I was only there for 8/9 weeks, and I'd met loads of people to hang out with because of the nature of the job. If you don't make friends through your work or house-share, I think your experience is going to be very lonely. Advice such as "join a club or take up a sport" mightn't even be viable, because of the small size of Carlow. My info is out of date, but when I wanted to take up a sport or activity in the evenings 8/9 years ago to broaden my social circle, there was *nothing* on offer. This might be changed now, but even still, Carlow's not got a large population. You might find it difficult to meet people if you just start a job in Carlow without knowing anyone there. People who've been in the town for years, who went to school or college there might have a good social network, and think the town is great, and that it's easy to make friends, but your situation might be different. Carlow's not a town which attracts many globe-trotters out to see the world, surprisingly enough, so you may have trouble finding kindred spirits.

I'd advise Cork or Galway. Better scenery, better nightlife, more foreigners/tourists, more to do. Carlow's backwater status might give it a certain charm for a little while, but it could get old *real* quick.

I really think this dude should come back for awhile.... and she's already made friends in carlow.... US!!!

• Advertisement

To summarize yes you're information is out of date and carlow is no longer regarded as a commuter town. Carlow has developed beyond your expectations in the last 8/9 years since you were here last. If you were to come back here now you would find yourself totally lost with the great variety of shops that carlow has to offer and the activities that our county offers. Carlow town itself has gotten steadily bigger in size maybe not so much so in population in the last few year with the expansion out to the outskirts of the town of the Talbot hotel and gym, the dome activity centre, Dunne's out there with them,Then a stones throw out the same area you can go up to stradbally and paint ball in a top class environment.Then you have the new all weather astro-turf pitches on the Graigecullen side of the town that you probably never got to see. There is the fairgreen which has been the biggest rejuvenation project the town ever saw introducing top quality shops in its complex. Then there is the opening of the new state of the art cineplex.And you can join saint Laurence o tooles running/other physical activities club. Need i go on with more activities. Plus for your dining comfort you can eat at top class restaurants, the Talbot,Italian connection,dolmen,seven oaks,lemongrass, and there is a wide variety of nightlife too in the town.I only live there on weekends so god know what i could be missing. Needless to say carlow has changed immensely. Just to point that out.

Wow...I seem to have caused some county rivalry....

I have already been offered a position, and it happened to be in Carlow, and I am really keen to go to Ireland. I grew up in a country town, so I am a country girl, and that is in Australian terms. In Carlow it appears you can easily get to Dublin. Where I grew up it was 2 days drive to regional city and 3 -4 days drive to the capital city. Rural to me is RURAL....and probably quite different to the Irish version of Rural.

I would be planning to travel a bit, so the cheaper cost of living is appealing. I will be working closely with others, so hopefully someone may introduce me around.

thanks everyone for your replies....any information is good information

Cheers

I travel to Dublin everyday for work.
    It's about an hour and a half drive from carlow. The train takes 1 hr 10 minutes I think. Can't remember how long the bus journey is.

I don't think you caused county rivalry... just one person has bad opinions of carlow because he/she hasn't been back here in over 8 years and ALOT has changed since then.

I definately wouldn't call Carlow a Rural town. Its by no means a city but even by Irish standards I don't think it can be called a rural town....

If I may ask... how old are you?

Hi Shay,

Thanks for your time. I am 31....today!!! Old enough to know better, young enough to enjoy what I know :)

Hi Shay,

Thanks for your time. I am 31....today!!! Old enough to know better, young enough to enjoy what I know :)

Hahaha great stuff!!! Happy Birthday!!

and you're welcome for my time... Anything to distract me from work :P

What is it that you do?

me?

I'm in Server Management for the Health Service Executive Eastern Region.
    I look after stuff like Ocupational Therapy systems :D

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I don't think you caused county rivalry... just one person has bad opinions of carlow because he/she hasn't been back here in over 8 years and ALOT has changed since then.

In my defence, I'm a native of Carlow, and am back in the town many weekends. I haven't lived there for a protracted period of time for 8/9 years however.

While I'm not denying that Carlow has the aforementioned shopping/leisure activities, what good is an all-weather pitch, if you've no-one to play with? So the town has a few shops? Some nice restaurants? Big deal, you don't have to cross the world to see the shopping/dining experiences Carlow has to offer!

I don't mean to offend any people living in Carlow. As I've said, it's not a bad place. But trying to sell the place to someone who wants to do the living abroad thing on the basis of shops/restaurants/etc is a bit pointless. These things are in most decent sized towns around the globe. OP, investigate if there are any activities ongoing in Carlow which you might be interested in, where you might meet people and broaden your social circle. That's what I'd focus on.

I was talking about this in the pub last night with a friend who works in tourism. Frankly, she thinks you'd be better off going to somewhere like Ennis or Tralee if you want to do the living in a small-ish Irish town thing. Might be interesting to hear peoples opinions on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Frankly, she thinks you'd be better off going to somewhere like Ennis or Tralee if you want to do the living in a small-ish Irish town thing. Might be interesting to hear peoples opinions on that!

The weather is even worse in those places, Tralee is very exspensive and Ennis is a very rough area. Carlow isn't fantastic by any means either tho. Custard.

stick-dan wrote: »
    And you can join saint Laurence o tooles running/other physical activities club. Need i go on with more activities.

Actually, I think it would be helpful for the OP if you did. Saying 'Carlow has a cinema, Carlow has shops, Carlow has nice restaurants' is all well and good for someone who has friends in the area who they can go to these places with, but it would be helpful to the OP if you mentioned some of the activities (sporting or otherwise) that one could join in, in order to broaden their social circle.

• Advertisement

Well clairesheara,

looks like you've got 2 nicely contrasting views of carlow to go on. feel free to ask for anymore info that you're looking for.

To be honest Claire, I'd listen to what Shay has to say more than what I'd have to say. He works in your field, I presume he deals with your line of work in Carlow, he actually *lives* in Carlow permanently, so he's clearly the man who you should be listening to most!

I work in IT (Server Management) in Dublin.
    I commute from Carlow. Lived in Maynooth for awhile but gladly returned to Carlow last month. I've lived in a few places but always feel at home in Carlow.

I'd love it if the job I'm in now was in Carlow. I'd find it very hard to leave.

Basically all i was doing was detailing what was available in carlow which was the original question. I was by no means trying to sell the county to anyone just wanted to clarify the situation that carlow did have alot more to offer than one poster claimed. That is all.I don't get involved in petty inter-county conflicts.:)

righto then...that has cleared things up nicely:)

Realll though, I have been offered a posting, and I am not sure I can insist on going to particular places. If I say no, I need to wait for another suitable post to come up, which may not be for awhile (unlikely but possible).

I have lived in both big and small places. Sometimes it is actually the bigger places that it is harder to met people, because they keep their heads down and don't talk to anyone new.

I am not too bad at joining things by myself (or going to the movies by myself :))

What are my requirements....quite few really, not really knowing Ireland (actually not at all) any place is a stab in the dark. I wouldn't mind being need Dublin as I know 1-2 people there (ok ok through friends of friends....but it is start), I would like to be nearish (1-1.5 hours) to an airport for travel, I would like to see some occasional sunny day (is that too hopeful :(). Not too overpriced

See not too demanding really....I figure its Ireland...if I want to meet people I will just rock up to a pub :)

ok...what about a netball team (indoor or outdoor - not that I have played in MANY years) or a community college thing where short courses are offered ie like art, cooking etc either in carlow or nearby (is Kilkenny closeish)

I can live without these...but thought I would ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Ya

Not sure about netball but there is some night courses etc like that available both through teh collage and the secondary school in teh town. have a look around the following for more info

http://www.itcarlow.ie/
    http://www.carlowvec.ie/SchoolsCollege/carlowvoc.htm

I would be highly surprised if there was a netball team in Carlow.

I agree with the comment about bigger places being more difficult to meet people in sometimes, because people just keep the head down, and get on with their lives.

To be honest, I don't think making friends through pubs is an option. I don't think you could just walk up to randomers and start making conversation with them in a pub. If you're out with people already, yeah it's easier to do, because it can be incidental, but even still, I wouldn't count on it as a means of broadening your social circle.

The colleges mentioned by TommyCahir might be useful for evening courses.

And I don't see, btw, how any of what I'm saying could be construed as 'petty inter-county sniping'. I'm not from another county, I'm from Carlow myself. Don't be so touchy about your town guys, I'm not criticising the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Kilkenny is only 30 miles away. Dublin airport is 1.5 hours away too. Netball, hmmm, never seen it played anywhere in Ireland tbh! :) Sunny days, well it's Ireland, but Carlow is part of the "Sunny South East"! This doesn't mean it's a mediteranean style hot spot, its just the south east gets more sun than the rest of the country on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well OP, living a few miles outside Carlow and having spent 3 and a half months in Sydney, I know where I'd rather live. (Clue.... Beaches, Museums, Sun, Variety. OK it's Sydney!)

But if you have to pick a small Irish midlands town, there's worse you could pick than Carlow. Decent nightlife(as long as you're used to late night Irish drunken behaviour but, being from Sydney, you probably are), Good shops for town of its size, friendly people, close to the countryside, not far from Dublin(and only a couple of hours to the West).

Then again, it has its downsides. Carlow can be intimidating enough late at night when the pubs and nightclubs close(but no worse than most Irish towns probably), lack of arts or culture, as in no theatre and a small cinema(though soon to be opened 8-screen, they tell us), lack of any decent gigs now( had some excellent bands visiting over last couple of years but the venue has now closed), lots of boy-racers cruising around.

I know I spend most of my time dying to get out of the place but all in all, it's a pleasant enough place most of the time.

Just promise me you stay away from Portlaoise... Not much happening there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement