Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

Hi Don and Cashback, nice to hear a few more points of view. Few quick things...

What does "tbh" mean I have seen it written in a few places but can''t for the life of me work it out????????

Are there any suburbs to avoid if looking for a place to rent?

Its funny I spent most of my time in Townsville wanting to get out and most of the time after I left wishing to go back :)

If you think it has been sunny here..................it has been raining heaps this summer...so we have been wondering where the sun has gone...2/3 of Queensland is flooded (and I don't know if you know how BIG QLD is!!) and at the risk of being absolutely slaughtered by saying this....I haven't been to the beach in probably 6ish months....I live on the otherside of town and just have not had time :( Having said that I am going to Bondi for work this morning (6am mind you) and think I might pop down to the beach for a quick coffee for morning tea before starting the 1.5 hour trek back to the office. Speaking of which...must leave

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

tbh = to be honest!

Suburbs to avoid? Hmmm I wouldn't really say Carlow has suburbs, just certain housing estates. Other people here might advise you better on that.

As for the rain, last year was Ireland's worst summer in a long time. Felt like it rained almost every day. It didn't, but wasn't far off.

Bondi for breakfast does sound good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ivory66

Hi,
    I would be moving to carlow June/july and have started to look for appt/houses to live in with my 3 kids. Big questions to all the parents on this forum- 1. Could you list the names of national or primary schools for boys (aged 9 and 11)in the town.
    2. Nice family areas for accomodation (picture of kids playing around the houses in my head and relatively safe)
    3. Tips, advice living in the area and me-time places for mums to relax.
    Cheers,
    ivory66.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not sure if he is a parent but patrick C in yore ma's bar (BGRH) might be one to fill you in on that as he lives in Carlow .Think he is offline at the moement .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Schools in carlow town Primary
    Bishops Foley BNS
    Askea BNS
    Gaoilscoil

Secondary Schools
    CBS
    Presentaion College
    Knockbeg College

These are all in Carlow town, many more in smaller townlands around the county.

Areas to live in are a bit more difficult, the following is just my own opinion from living in carlow,
    i would recommend the following areas, sorry not sure of names of new estates right now but will have a look on my way home from work and add them tomorrow
    Brownshill area
    Palatine Area
    Pollerton area
    Oak park area

Areas to avoid
    John Sweeney park
    Burrin Manor
    New Oak Estate

plenty of gyms and clubs, evening classes for mum time.

hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hey there are you looking to move into the town of carlow or somewhere in the near vinicity of carlow??? Depending on what your looking for i may have some suggestions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

latchyco wrote: »
    Not sure if he is a parent but patrick C in yore ma's bar (BGRH) might be one to fill you in on that as he lives in Carlow .Think he is offline at the moement .

jesus my names well known all over hehe

bluebell has covered most of the areas from what I can see, some nice areas are pollerton, askea, talbot terrace/greenhills off the brownshill road, avondale.riverside are all areas i know people in that are quiet within the town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I live in Dolmen Gardens in Polerton and there's plenty of kids messing around there in the evenings. Nice and quiet estate too from what I can see. Will be moving out in early June............. Could be handy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

The town's being summed up fairly well but my own 2c...
    Re: clubs & activities - this directory should give you an idea of what there is to do in Carlow. If there's something there that you're particularly interested in double-check that the club actually still exists, that publication's a little out-of-date but by and large its reliable enough.

You'll find a list of some of the pubs and the like on this page. It's got practical information as well, things like taxi phone numbers that you'll never think to ask about until you actually need one :D

I can't help you out with regards to shared accommodation and gluten-free food but i've been to the Greenbank Health & Leisure gym before and it seems pretty good. As far as i know they do three-month memberships and the like so if you don't feel like forking out hundreds for an annual membership without knowing what it's like that's an option.

I find the town nice enough, much more attractive than many similar-sized towns I've been to (Carlow town has ~20,000 people). You will come across lots of 'rough' people, not sure if you'll find a town where they can be avoided but at the same time it does wreck a person's head! Speaking of local slang, be advised that the word "quare" is used quite a bit, meaning "a lot" or "very" as in "Donegal's quare far away" or "I've a quare lot of work". A mannerism that you'll probably encounter before long :D

Rambled on a bit more than I intended to there but if you've anything else I can help you out with feel free to ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ivory66

Thanks to you all for the reply. i feel like i know the place before getting there. I will print this page and bring it down during the easter hols when i'll be looking around. The answer to stick-dan's question is I will prefer to stay in the town area for now until i get to know more of the place.
    For the person leaving in June - who knows!!!!! The house may come in handy.
    Pls keep posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I am definitely on my way now!! Have sold my car :):( I have packed and moved out :) And will be arriving in Carlow mid June.

COOL!!! Have you looked for a place to live yet?

Have I found a place to live......ummmm no....

That is a minor detail...I have to worry about the major ones.....like can I fit another pair of shoes in my suitcase without getting charged excess luggage.....(I have been getting accused/ribbed for "worrying about the curtains before buying the house")

Seriously though, I get 6 weeks accomodation through the recruitment agency when I arrive, likely in a BnB. So I can look around and try and find some peoples to share with...(or who are willing to let me live with them:D). So I figure she'll be right...

I will be doing some travel for about 5 weeks first then settling in......:D:D:D

Hope the people are friendly

that sounds cool.

And of course we're friendly!!! Have you not got that impression from us already?

You doing well :D

What's June July like to find share accommodation...will I be competing with students?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

You should be on a winner as all the students will be heading off then! August is when it starts getting busy again.

You doing well :D

What's June July like to find share accommodation...will I be competing with students?

no they'll all be gone then, and try professional sharing it works out much better IMO

I definitely want to share with professionals...I am too old to share with students...and I want someone who knows how to clean a bathroom!! But where I have lived before the students take up every spare inch!!

have you looked at www.daft.ie yet?

I have been looking on Daft...but it seems ads seem to be on the site for weeks...I am not sure if they have been taken...or there is some reason they are not being rented...

I am sure I will get a better idea when I get there...I will probably try and stay in the provided accommodation whilst it is free:D as long as it is not dodgy.

But if I find somewhere straight away thats fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

if you want to pm me some links of places your interested in and i will ring them and tell you.
    if ou have any other questions, either reply on thread or pm me. have you booked your flights yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joyday

Hey
    I might relocate to carlow from dublin. what u think about cost of living? General life style?
    Any suggestion to rent in a safe place/town in carlow?
    Any other tips highly appreciated please.

thx
    joyday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

rent will be the biggest drop, you'll get a much nicer place for less in carlow. The town is great, has everything, couple of shopping centres, cinema, night clubs, pubs, restaurants, gyms, everything.

You don't really have to worry about a safe place to rent in carlow, the only thing to note is the closer you move to the college, the more student dominated the neighbours become.

Main tip, come down and have a look around. for some people its too small after dublin, for some its perfect. only you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have been offered a position in Carlow and may be moving there (from Australia) so have MANY questions.

1. Is it easy to find a share house?
    2. Does anyone know if it is easy to find gluten free food there (I know I know you are all probably saying what the)
    3. Is there a gym in the town, or a training group ie like bootcamp.
    4. Will I be able to find a GP
    5. I am sure I will think of a 5 if you give me time.
    6. What is Carlow like to live in....give it to me....the good, the bad...the curious.

Thanks everyone..

We are an advanced country, contrary to popular belief, we are not a developing country. IF you cannot find a supermarket, a GP, a Gym or accomadation, then you are somewhere else.

The town has approximately 25000 people, with lots more visiting every day for shopping, work, leisure etc etc.

I lived there for about 5-6 years. It's a great spot. It is a student town. Do not rent in "John Sweeny" or do not go there. You WILL die. There are other parts in town that are less favourable, "the laurals" is another, out the Tullow road. Most of the town is nice. You will need a translator and the accent there is nothing you have ever heard of before.

I know of a nice 4 bedroom house that is right in the centre of town, it's empty at the moment but the rooms are cheap. You will find a house easily. There are lots of GP's dentists etc etc, there are lots of shops, resturaunts, pubs and gyms. The Cinema is pure sh!te though. It's a nice little town, I miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Definitely advise a walk around, but its a lovely town. Big saving on the rent as above.

MOved here a few months back and have enjoyed it since, great people, great fun as well. :D

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Definitely advise a walk around, but its a lovely town. Big saving on the rent as above.

MOved here a few months back and have enjoyed it since, great people, great fun as well. :D

depending on who the people are of course;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oh, and at all costs avoid Shayk1 and PatrickC, big trouble them two :P

agreed especially that Patrick fella.

just cause I'm a drunk doesn't mean I'm trouble

ShayK1 wrote: »
    just cause I'm a drunk doesn't mean I'm trouble

says who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I'll agree wit that one, if ya wanna avoid a hangover!! Ha ha :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement