Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More parking places taken from us!!

• 21-02-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

did ye college drivers get that email yesterday about not being able to park in neighbouring estates. it was the only thing keeping me sane. now i am in the lib at this god forsaken hour and dont' have class till two today!! it's so not fair. any idea's where else is there to park around here??

vent out your frustrations here people

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Crowne Plaza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was wondering about the crowne plaza myself but surely they have some sort of system to keep cars from the college out or otherwise the carpark there would always be full.

to be fair its not fair to be parking cars in the local estates, I lived in college heights for 2 years and the clamping came in the second year I was there and there was cars piled up everywhere, it made it very dangerous so it did.

It was unfair of the college to bring in clamping without providing aduquate spaces and transport links in the first place. I had class at 11 yesterday and drove around for 50min looking for a space and went to the overflow carpark at horseware for a laugh to see what its like and the shuttle bus never came

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya i know about the horseware thing. it's too awkward to use i feel. and i don't think we could use the crowne plaza. i was half thinking of walking. but i have a car i should be allowed to use it, espically when i have work in the evenings.

mollybird wrote: »
    ya i know about the horseware thing. it's too awkward to use i feel.

true its virtually useless so it is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What are your Student's Union doing about this?

• Advertisement

I was in from 9-3 today. Parked in the Crowne Plaza. The car park there wasn't even a quarter full - and I saw other fellow students parking there and walking up to college. I would imagine that the Crowne Plaza don't appreciate us parking there, but there's no other alternative (Horseware is too far and can't rely on shuttle bus to have me in class on time). I have to drive down from the M1 to xerox every morning, which is always crazy. Am usually left sitting for 10-15 minutes crawling what is maybe less than half a mile. No matter how early I leave it, that road is always jammers. I'm sick of having to leave my house at stupid o clock in the morning just to get parked, so until the Crowne Plaza do something about it, I'll park in there (if I miss out on a space in the college car park).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

This is a problem, but i don't think it's as big a deal as people make out. Arrive before 8.45am and there's never a problem.

At the end of the day, the college can't just tar over a football pitch and create new spaces - they have limited space to work with.

On the rare occassions i arrive in late i don't bother with estates;
    (a) because it pisses residents off and i hate people blocking other people in, parking on corners etc..
    (b) because i don't think it's safe due to congestion/lack of visibility with the volume of cars about, no people around during the day.
    (c) because there have been several warnings about towing cars away

I don't bother with the crowne plaza because i know some of these days they're gonna introduce barriers or some sort of resident only parking thing.

I park in the retail park (outside PC world) and walk up. About a 15 minute walk. It's safe due to the amount of people always about, plus there's always loads of spaces down there.

There's then the new Dunnes Stores just across the road from the retail park, there's also that cathedral further up hoeys lane..

As a driver, you have a responsibility to park your care with care and consideration for others... i laugh at people who drive around for 30mins+ and moan and complain - you all have two legs ;)

ah if i cant find a place i dont go in , it only affects me on a wednesday when I only have one class anyway so its not a big deal for me, its just that the college have no problem accepting a larger and larger number of students each year without expanding facilities enough to cope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

draffodx wrote: »

to be fair its not fair to be parking cars in the local estates, I lived in college heights for 2 years and the clamping came in the second year I was there and there was cars piled up everywhere, it made it very dangerous so it did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mollybird
    ya i know about the horseware thing. it's too awkward to use i feel.

true its virtually useless so it is

ah if i cant find a place i dont go in so i don't , it only affects me on a wednesday when I only have one class anyway so its not a big deal for me,

I fixed the last one for you so i did :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

if you try the student apartments on campus you can sometimes get a space in there! but if the crowne plaza see you park in there and walk they have permission from the college to call the clampers over to clamp your car .......
    you would think they could build a multi story like they have in DCU but its aparently €1,500 to create one parking space so you can see why its so limited :D

• Advertisement

where did you get that figure or a space? i have worked on building car parks and i cant believe it would cost that much to build a few more car parking places.

as for the multistory idea i'd gladly pay on a hourly basis where you get your ticket on the way in, put it into the machine on the way out and pay whatever is due, great idea to solve the parking crisis and make money for the college.

i'd gladly pay to park in the college now if it meant i could go anytime and be sure there'll be spaces left

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

the college issued out that figure at the start of the year it is a bit steep but you have to take into consideration that the more spaces the college put in place the less room for expansion there is, which is why they wont.
    a multi story is the only way to go:rolleyes:

true but theres no point in the college expanding if they cant facilitate more parking places as the bigger the college gets the more cars that will need parking as the public transport links simply arent good enough to and from the college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

mollybird wrote: »
    ya i know about the horseware thing. it's too awkward to use i feel. and i don't think we could use the crowne plaza. i was half thinking of walking. but i have a car i should be allowed to use it, espically when i have work in the evenings.

where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

just turn up to college early..........

just turn up to college early..........

Thats easy to say if you live in Dundalk and can get there by walking. I live in Ardee, and the earliest my childminder can take my daughter is 8.15. Earliest I'll ever get to college is 8.45, and thats assuming there's no traffic or I don't get held up at the childminders. People shouldn't have to get to college a half hour early just to get the parking space - the onus is on the college to provide enough spaces, and they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

well from my experience, we never have any problem getting parking in Carrols at approx 8.45am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I feel for your problems folks, but I've just sent off an eMail to both the college and the UDC regarding parking outside the old entrance on the roadside....it's an accident waiting to happen, because of two things:
    1) the 3 or so cars who arrive at either end and decide to squeeze in...leaving their arse-end stuck out on the road, which passing cars have to overtake to avoid.
    2) Because of all this parking on the roadside, the frequent bus services (ahem) have to stop in the middle of the road, again leading to dangerous overtaking, combined with the danger to passengers alighting.

IMO the college should have warned people off parking here before they warned them off parking in "ForSale Sign Heights" or "Rockfield Court"...

do you mean the cars that park in the bus stop and along the front of o fiach?

Aye. I don't rightly know if they're students cars, or if it's workers or even if it's nothing to do with the RTC...but it's an accident in waiting given the volume of traffic on Hoey's Lane.
    I might shoot O Fiach a mail as well...didn't consider that it might be to do with them...

[edit] BTW I'm not holding my breath for anything to be done about it...given the flauting of traffic laws so pre-dominant in the country, people seem to just do what they like. But when someone is killed or injured at that spot, then there'll be something done...so why not be pro-active?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Wertz wrote: »
    Aye. I don't rightly know if they're students cars, or if it's workers or even if it's nothing to do with the RTC...but it's an accident in waiting given the volume of traffic on Hoey's Lane.
    I might shoot O Fiach a mail as well...didn't consider that it might be to do with them...

Yeah, yesterday i think it was, the whole bus stop was full of cars. Normally people leave the bus stop itself free, but once one guy edges in to it, they all do.

Can't understand why they don't double yellow line that area and start fining people.

I'm sure the bus drivers get pretty p****d off about it and rightly so as it's their area and people have no right to park there.

Given the fact the bus stop is just before the college entrance and just past the school entrance, if the bus has to stop on the road, it creates major problems and is indeed an accident waiting to happen due to the lack of visibility and amount of boy racers in the area.

Yeah it was yesterday that I noticed it was as bad as it was...maybe there was something on? Bus at the stop, people getting off, lunchtime traffic and with the way the bus was double parked, I couldn't see cars coming out the college entrance (hence they couldn't see me)...all it takes is someone coming too fast from direction of college heights, coming round that dip/hill on the bend (plenty of late night accidents there over the years) to overtake badly parked cars or a waiting bus and someone turning out from the gates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moonstone77

have you tried the college flats across the road . mind you its always covered in broken glass had two flats in three weeks id walk only im from carrick , non of my classes start at nine and iv got school going kids iv always found a place but if i dont i park over the road behind the flats

Advertisement