Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Othello- Where to Start

Options
  • 21-02-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

English mocks paper 2 tomorrow and i haven't even started studying for it. Where do I start? Themes, characters, quotes???:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Those sound like good places. To study for my Othello I went over my quotes, I've got so many it practically refreshed the entire play.. of course, if I remember even 10% of them I'm doing well.

Make sure you know your characters well, theme of revenge/jealousy, etc. It depends when you last studied Othello in school, but go over the sequence of events etc., make sure you remember important scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Depends on your strength.. Focus on character: the quotes are only supporting evidence for anything you wish to say about a character. Don't try to learn too many quotes: if done right you should be able to get away with 10 or so solid quotes per main character.

Like Purple says: know the sequence of events like you would a good movie: think of your favorite movie and run through the characters and series of events in your head for a quick minute - thats how you should be thinking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I've managed to study Othello and Iago. Is it a good idea to learn Act 3 Scene 3 in detail??

Thanks for all your advice by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Act 3 Scene 3 (That's the big long one where Othello goes crazy, right?) is pretty important, I think. It's got lots of jealousy theme stuff, Iago's manipulation of Othello, stuff about Othello's character. Good scene to know in general.

Yeah it's the one with the handkerchief and all...

Thanks a million. You must think I'm asleep at school... but I've missed loads of time so I'm a bit clueless!!!:D

• Advertisement

Phew! I'm just after arriving home after my paper 2 english exam and I got through the Othello question fine. I did a question on the theme of Jealousy and Revenge. I only got 2 and half pages but I feel I got my point across... and sure isn't it Quality over quantity.
    Was so delighted too that Philip Larkin came up. I absolutely love his poetry... and I managed to wing the comparative.
    The unseen poem was really nice so I had no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Eh how many marks was that question worth? I forget my rule of thumb but I woulda tried to go 3 or 4 pages I suppose. But as you say if you did inject the material into it you should be fine. But, if you spent 6 lines saying the same point you might be in trouble...

I hope you did well though :)

Advertisement