Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

two questions

Options
  • 21-02-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time lurker. I have my test in dun laoighre tomorrow afternoon, getting pretty nervous now. first time doing it and havent been driving very long so im not banking on passing it. My first question is, approximately how long does the driving part of the test last? i've heard varying answers from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

second question is to do with reversing around a corner. when practising on some kerbs, if i wait to see the kerb in my left rear window and then turn, i end up far away from the kerb (only whilst turning). In the end im about half a doors width away and lined up nicely, but while the kerb takes a sweeping curve, i tend to end up taking something closer to a 90 degree turn. if i use my mirror i can follow the line of the kerb easier, but do i need to follow the curve of the kerb?

im sure a few other questions my pop up as the day/evening goes on.

also thanks to everyone here by the way, ive been reading this for a while now and its helped quite a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As for your question about how long your test will be, there's no set time as such, it'll be as long as it'll be, mine was under 20 minutes, but others hae told me that it was up to 45. Dont worry about the length of the test, it'l fly by regardless of how long it actually is.
    As for your trouble with reversing around corners, i wouldn't rely on your left wing mirror to judge distance, although it can be helpful, just looking out the rear window is the best way to judge where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Best of Luck Noblestee!!!

Stay calm and the time will fly by!! it'll be no longer than a usual driving lesson!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Good luck with it. I've done the test five times in total, and each one was different. Today's was about half an hour long on the road. The other formalities beforehand take about 5 minutes - he confirms who you are, that you're insured and licensed for the vehicle and that you know the signage and rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

thanks for the help lads, passed with 4 grade 2's today! cheers for the help and good luck to everyone doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

noblestee wrote: »
    thanks for the help lads, passed with 4 grade 2's today! cheers for the help and good luck to everyone doing it!

Congrats!

• Advertisement
Advertisement