Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Home Needed Please Read

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Dear All,

My name is Charlene Flynn, I am currently renting my apartment with the help of Social Welfare Rent Supplements. I have been renting for just under 2 years, but my landlord has decided to sell up.

This has left me in a really sticky situation, i have good refrences from both my landlord and College and have already been offered 2 houses in dublin after viewings.

However I am financially stuck, I will recieve my deposit back from my current landlord 1300euro but I am finding it impossible to come up with 1300 more to pay for a month in advance.

I am a single parent and studying at Trinity College, Dublin. I am in my second year of a degree in Modern History. I am not asking anyone for money..

I am simply hoping that any property owners viewing this thread would be willing to take a full months deposit without a month in advance. it is killing me to make my business so public but I have no other option.

I am due to move from my current apartment at the end of this month February 2008. However at present i am at risk of being put up in an emergency B&B. Which is possibly the worst place to have my 21 month old daughter stay as well as this I am at risk of loosing all my posessions as I have no means for storage.

please if anyone can help in anyway contact me ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Charlene, sorry to hear about your situation. Have yout tried a credit union for the money? They offer loans that can be repaid over a longer period of time that whilst struggling as a student, small repayments mightnt impact as much.
    I hope you get whats needed as you deserve a break for having the get up and go to get back to college as a single parent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Thanks for the reply... I have tried Credit Union but as i am not a member they would not be able to issue the amount needed as a first loan..

As you can imagine I already have student loan from bank which isn't a huge loan, but i only topped up in November. To fund my daughter and I at christmas time and cannot see them issueing a further loan at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

does the college not have any emergency loans they can give you? i went to the University of Ulster and they sorted me out no problem when I needed help

I have spoke to one of my lecturers but was just told that it was an unfortunate situation and that he hoped all worked itself out soon. i haven't really looked any further into it..

I do know that the bank facalities on campus are Bank of Ireland and that I would more or less be re-directed their way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

she is not looking for something for nothing folks and with a 21 month old this must be a tough time so come on ....someone do a good deed for the year.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You can get emergency payments form the HSE and the dole in these type of situatons. Contact your local dole office and they will give you the numbers. Do you have any friends or family that could loan you some money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Quick question, if your deposit was €1300 then would I be correct in assuming the rent per month was €1300? If so, does that mean you would not have been able to pay the rent even if your landlord was not selling up?

Without wanting to sound harsh, you'll be hard pushed to find a landlord who won't want you to pay the first month's rent and only hand over a deposit. If you can't pay the rent you won't be given a place. Perhaps contact your local Citizens Information Centre (www.citizensinformation.ie). If they can't help they might be able to point you in the right direction.

As has already been said, do you have any family or friends you could stay with until you get some money together?

As I said I receive Social Welfare Rent Supplement, as i have one dependant child I receive 1000euro per month from them. I would just like to add that i will more than pay back for the support I receive with taxes when I finish college.

I put by 75.00eur per week for my rent, which has been paid in full for 23 months, I have never missed a payment. Therefore I have and always will insure that rent payments are made.

In regards to finding it hard that one would accept a deposit without month in advance. i don't disagree with this, it is this very reason that I am in my present situation. The landlord does not miss out on a months rent he simply receives the rent at the end of the month rather than the beginning.

Yes i do have my mother but she has not got the means to just hand over 1300euro. I am sure that she would gladly assist me if it wore possible.

Finally the HSE will only supply a deposit which i received in April 2006, they will not fund the month in advance there way around this is to ask the landlord to receive weekly payments instead monthly. As I said before I will get my deposit refunded from my current landlord, in which the HSE expect you to use upon finding new accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a house to help you out but if you need any help in any other way, transporting your things, storage etc I will help in any way I can.

Best of Luck
    Gary

Thank you so much Gary, that is greatly apreciated. i will keep that in mind..

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Hi there, could you arrange with your present landlord to give the deposit he holds directly to your new landlord? Like can you see if the new landlord will agree to ring the old landlord to ensure that the deposit will be forthcoming when you leave the old apartment? This would also ensure that the new landlord will know that you are a good tenant who pays the rent etc? Surely if the new landlord is decent they can wait a week or so for the deposit, specially if they know it is coming directly from another landlord?

yes that can most certainly be arranged i don't think my landlord would have a problem with that at all.. However its not the deposit thats an issue it's the month in advance that is proving to be the most difficult aspect..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Surely if the landlord knows you are getting the rent from Social Welfare he will accept weekly payments, as most SW rents are paid weekly and not monthly. I can't see this being a problem for a landlord specially if you can get a letter saying the rent will be paid, now maybe I'm wrong about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

I think that the Social Welfare will pay the rent directly into the landlords account as well. Arranging something like this or suggesting an arrangement like this might put some landlords at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Op

Like you I am student and single mum, but studying in UCD, does Trinity have a student assistance because they can arrange for emergency assistance grants. Also they give student assitance grants to those most in need and it sounds like you qualify, I know I have got them every year so far. You are right that you won't get the months rent in advance (I had a similar problem but family could help) as the new landlords know you are in receipt of rent allowance, are they willing to wait until the rent allowance crowd pay the rent and you could offer the difference at the beginning eg: if they pay 1000 euro, you could offer to give an advance of 300 euro, if I had the money I'd give it to you because I really know the struggle you are in, my thoughts are with you and the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Beerlao wrote: »
    does the college not have any emergency loans they can give you? i went to the University of Ulster and they sorted me out no problem when I needed help

They should do. DCU helped me out when I needed it. OP it's usually given through student services. Lecturers mighn't even be aware of it. I asked for a certain amount to get me through a sticky patch, (I broke my ankle so couldn't work) and she asked me if I wanted a little more given the circumstances and I accepted after thinking on it. There was no schedule of repayments but I paid it off that summer when I was able to work. They were lovely to me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP, have you considered talking to the Welfare Officer in the SU in Trinity, or the College Services? They may have contacts, or be able to organise an interest-free loan, or help out in some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You could ask St Vincent de Paul? I am sure they would lend you the money or give it to you perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd second randylonghorn's advice. I know in NUI, Galway there was an emergency student welfare fund administered by the college chaplain which was EU-funded to provide students with emergency loans for precisely your kind of situation. I'd be stunned if the flagship university of Ireland didn't have a similar arrangement, especially as it was EU funded.

I remember friends availing of this fund whilst I was in college and while funds received by the student were supposed to be a loan, the priest administering the fund refused to accept repayment from a number of genuine cases as, in his words, 'sure if I get all the money back they won't give me any next year!'

Contact the SU, I'm sure there's someone there who can help you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

you only pay €75 per week rent!

am i missing something here? are you disabled in someway?

if not, how about getting a job to earn the €1300 you are begging for? :cool: i worked part time all through college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

someuser90 wrote: »
    you only pay €75 per week rent!

am i missing something here? are you disabled in someway?

if not, how about getting a job to earn the €1300 you are begging for? :cool: i worked part time all through college

She has a young child you twat! Do you want her to send the child out working aswell in order that they can afford a roof over their head. She is also taking the trouble to see out a college course when the easy option would be to scrounge off the state, never work a day again and take all the benefits going. The girl deserves respect and praise, not some half assed comment from someone who has failed to read correctly what was posted by the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

She has a young child you twat! Do you want her to send the child out working aswell in order that they can afford a roof over their head. She is also taking the trouble to see out a college course when the easy option would be to scrounge off the state, never work a day again and take all the benefits going. The girl deserves respect and praise, not some half assed comment from someone who has failed to read correctly what was posted by the OP.

That roof over her head is only costing her €75 a week, and shes already getting all the benefits going, including college grant I bet, but now she wants more.

History :rolleyes: how many hours is that a week?

She could easily get a part time job in a taxi office or shop, a few hours a week, to save up the money :confused: and just leave the kid with someone

and why did she have to spam the forum with 2 begging threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

someuser90 banned. We much prefer constructive advice.

Talk to www.mabs.ie - I think they have an office in Pearse Street.

Also talk to your Community Welfare Officer and ask is there something they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 someuser91

Victor wrote: »
    someuser90 banned. We much prefer constructive advice.

Talk to www.mabs.ie - I think they have an office in Pearse Street.

Also talk to your Community Welfare Officer and ask is there something they can do.

someuser90 bipassed ban. Advice to earn money is constructive.

So in your opinion, lone parents are incapable of working part time for a month to earn €1300? :rolleyes: Women I went to college with, got most of their child care payed for by a college grant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

^ certinly brought a smile to my face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I hear the Nigerians have a lot of cash floating around...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

micmclo wrote: »
    The courage to say what many felt but were too scared of the PC brigade to post!
    The OP gets €1000 per month and is still short of cash? Hell, some of us pay over €1000 per month in tax and hundreds in rent and cannot and probably will never be able to afford a home in Dublin.

so just to get this clear what you'd like is the government in general to stop contributing to families, the same way your parents got contributions to your upbringing? the contributions to family or single parents you have agreed to as a part of a democratic society?

if you have a problem with how the government provides social welfare and tax breaks complain to your td and vote when it matters, dont be a dick to someone who is trying to do all they can. everyone who can afford and earns enough to have a tax advisor engages in tax avoidance, thats life.

i know i take advantage of every tax break that i possible can, i expect every intelligent person to do the same.

i think people actively evading tax are greater drain on the system than all you idiots seem to think a girl like this is, but you just keep doing what you do, we all think you look real intelligent.

(note the difference between evading and avoiding)

sorry for taking the thread off topic i just thought certain things needed to be addressed.

im afraid i have no way i can help you right now op but any single mum that is studying i have massive respect for. it'd be much easier to opt out but you aren't and fair play.

i'll offer what an earlier poster did and thats if you need any help moving you can give me a call either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

so just to get this clear what you'd like is the government in general to stop contributing to families, the same way your parents got contributions to your upbringing? the contributions to family or single parents you have agreed to as a part of a democratic society?

if you have a problem with how the government provides social welfare and tax breaks complain to your td and vote when it matters, dont be a dick to someone who is trying to do all they can. everyone who can afford and earns enough to have a tax advisor engages in tax avoidance, thats life.

i know i take advantage of every tax break that i possible can, i expect every intelligent person to do the same.

i think people actively evading tax are greater drain on the system than all you idiots seem to think a girl like this is, but you just keep doing what you do, we all think you look real intelligent.

(note the difference between evading and avoiding)

sorry for taking the thread off topic i just thought certain things needed to be addressed.

im afraid i have no way i can help you right now op but any single mum that is studying i have massive respect for. it'd be much easier to opt out but you aren't and fair play.

i'll offer what an earlier poster did and thats if you need any help moving you can give me a call either

Thank you for saying that, there are far too many people picking on single mums who try to better their life. As to the person who advised the OP to get a part time job to pay for the rent, she not only has to pay rent but for the time she is working she has to pay childcare, and the type of jobs you suggested pay minimum wage and all of that would have to go on childcare, so that zeros that out, also how would she have time for childrearing, studying and a part time job. I am a single mum going to college, getting the benefits and the grants, I am lucky I have a secure place to rent but if I were in the Ops shoes I'd be ****ting bricks as well. I know that when I graduate I will be able to contribute to our society and help others who are difficult situations. I am sick to death of single mum bashing, and while your on about the bashing, why not bash the men that don't support these children or the system that allows them to get away with it :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

someuser91 wrote: »
    someuser90 bipassed ban. Advice to earn money is constructive.

someuser91 banned.
    If you re-register again- I will have your IP blacklisted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

someuser90 gets my vote for scum of the year.

So a single Ma who's trying to educate herself and break out of the cycle needs your prating ? Get to f**k.

mabs, V d P, Social worker, college hardship fund [ don't talk to lecturers they may not know about it as others have said ]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement