Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Home Needed Please Read

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jtgba

Dakeyras wrote: »
    so just to get this clear what you'd like is the government in general to stop contributing to families, the same way your parents got contributions to your upbringing? the contributions to family or single parents you have agreed to as a part of a democratic society?

if you have a problem with how the government provides social welfare and tax breaks complain to your td and vote when it matters, dont be a dick to someone who is trying to do all they can. everyone who can afford and earns enough to have a tax advisor engages in tax avoidance, thats life.

i know i take advantage of every tax break that i possible can, i expect every intelligent person to do the same.

i think people actively evading tax are greater drain on the system than all you idiots seem to think a girl like this is, but you just keep doing what you do, we all think you look real intelligent.

(note the difference between evading and avoiding)

sorry for taking the thread off topic i just thought certain things needed to be addressed.

im afraid i have no way i can help you right now op but any single mum that is studying i have massive respect for. it'd be much easier to opt out but you aren't and fair play.

i'll offer what an earlier poster did and thats if you need any help moving you can give me a call either

I am actually very angered by the op's post and I'll try to put this across as rationally as I can for fear of getting banned like the other guy. I am in the last year of my degree in college, which from day 1 of 1st year I have worked part-time (full-time during the summer) and in the last year working 2 part-time jobs to fund my education. And I am STILL struggling, I had to take a bank loan last month just to stay in college but it's my last 3 months. What annoys me is I don't come onto a forum begging others (in a sneaky disguised roundabout way) for money.

I don't get a single cent from the state. Or from my parents. I am not entitled to anything. Whereas the op is already getting, by my estimation - €1000/month rent allowance, €4500/year college grant, €200~ week social welfare and another €180~ week single mothers - for what? Absolutely nothing. It is extremely unfair.

If you wanted to do college, then you shouldn't have put yourself into your situation. Stop trying to look blameless, my girlfriend is in 1st year of her course and (also working part-time) she is never going to be in your situation because she takes precaution not to get pregnant, knowing full well it would make college life very difficult for her.

Now for the compulsory constructive piece - get a job. Seriously, don't try and tell us there is absolutely nobody in the world who would mind your child for a day, or a few hours in the evening because frankly that is bs. A parent, brother, sister, cousin, aunt, friend, relative. There are creches and childminders available and the costs do not outweigh what you would earn in a part-time job. (In mine I work 29 hours per week and come out with over €320).

Just to add to this, I found the op's bebo (believe me it wasn't difficult), and there's literally hundreds of recent pictures of her out drinking and on nights out. Everything from redz, "redz again 2 weeks ago", new years, karaoke night, hen nights, weddings, birthdays, trinity balls.

If I could have even HALF the social life you have I would be happy. My suggestion is stop drinking so much (yes there are many many pictures of you up there drunk) and going out and you might be able to afford to pay your rent.

I won't post up the link but it's not difficult to find if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm really stuggling to understand how some people can even imagine that this girl is not deserving of help.

FFS shes a young mother trying to better herself rather than sitting on her bum expecting the state to spoon feed her for the rest of her life.
    When she gets her degree she'll probably get a decent well paying job, at least, one that is likely to pay far better than had she not gotten a third level education.
    People like her are my tax money being put to far better use than lining Bertie and his builder buddies pockets with yet more cash.

Secondly, I'm a firm believer that every kid needs a mam around when they are growing up. Call me old fashioned but I strongly believe this leads to better rounded individuals and stronger families.

FWIW I put myself through college too without any hand outs at all and this was at a time when the course fees were not paid for entirely by the state.

I really hope that someone can help this girl out and she's got nothing but respect from me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Read my post above yours, and do the google search if you don't believe me. It might change your opinion on this "poor single mother aww".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement