Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Shopping

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have just finished building a new house outside Dublin and wanted to get some good value electricals. I heard Currys are good value and have a good range to choose from - any advic eon where to go for Cookers, fridges, TV's -the works?

Would you go straight to Currys and save on the leg work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if the leg work saves you some money then do some leg work. first go to currys, pick out some stuff... do some research and get a quote from some sales rep. then do the same in harveys or wherever else, getting a quote. then try and leverage the quotes against each other. if you're getting the works then you should get some good discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Agree with ProjectMayhem- if you're on any kind of budget - do the legwork, it could save you hundreds. Make a list of what you want, then make a list of places they would all be available. Start at your preferred retailer and get the best quote you can get, take it to the next on the list and ask them to beat it, go through the full list and return to your preferred retailer with the best quote you got from the others (as most will try to beat eachother, you should be going down by a few bob each time). Make sure you get them to include delivery etc as it's the end cost to you.

I've found this very worthwhile a couple of times when buying several large cost items together. All of these electical shops seem to give their sales people plenty of lee-way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Save on the leg work allright but shop around.

www.did.ie
    www.powercity.ie They're prices on the site are cheaper than in their shop for some reason. But they're handy enough to haggle with.
    www.harveynorman.ie - crappy site but at least they have their catalogue.

You'll still have to walk to Currys though. Their website is still under contstruction.

Get your prices together by spending an hour on the internet then go to the cheapest (don't forget to factor in delivery costs, they always forget to mention that until you're ready to pay). I've never found Currys to be cheaper.

Advertisement