Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Golf ?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hiya

Want to buy a second car, thinking of VW Golf, budget approx 4 - 5K, is carzone the best place or can anyone recommend a decent dealer in south dublin or around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Ya stick to carzone. Just try and get as low mileage as possible for your money. Try for a comfortline too but the mileage is key. 1.4 are a great car but the 1.6 is a bit thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Be very careful buying a second hand 1.4. The 1.4 is a pretty lousy engine, if not cared for will start to eat oil, and as the oil capacity is quite low you need to watch it like a hawk to stop it lunching itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Catscar

Hi, looking at 2006 1.4 Golf, anyone know how fond of petrol are they?? Roughly how much a full tank costs and how many miles to the full tank, MPG means nothing to me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have a 98 MK4, 1.6. She likes the oil alright. (About a litre once or twice every few months) Love her though. Plenty of power, there on demand. And comfortable. recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Catscar wrote: »
    Hi, looking at 2006 1.4 Golf, anyone know how fond of petrol are they?? Roughly how much a full tank costs and how many miles to the full tank, MPG means nothing to me!!!!

Well my 2002 1.4 golf got 430 miles to a full tank last week. I think she could do 450 easy though. The 2006 golf is a bit heavier i think.
    The 1.9TDI can get 600 to a full tank apparently.
    My Friends 1.8 gti gets 320 to a tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I had a 2005 MK V 1.4 golf.

My tank cost 60euro to fill.

That would do me for about 550km (and most of my driving was in the Dublin commuter belt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Catscar

leahcim wrote: »
    I had a 2005 MK V 1.4 golf.

My tank cost 60euro to fill.

That would do me for about 550km (and most of my driving was in the Dublin commuter belt).

Not bad for Dublin driving. What was the engine like, someone told me they are not a good buy but I'm not sure if she was just being bitchy cos she does not want me with similar car to hers!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

If you look hard you should be able to pick up a 98 or 99 TDi for that money. I've heard nothing good about the 1.4 engines and only drove one once, which felt terribly underpowered.

My brother bought a TDi late last year for €4000 and it's a brilliant car. Granted, it was the 90bhp base model but a set of RS8 alloys, full Recaro interior and some TLC including a new starter and a droplink turned it into a great car. They do tend to be overpriced due to the inexplicable snobbery associated with these cars - red d red i and all that, but you should be able to find a cheap one in good condition somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

i have a 99 3dr 1.4 and fell it has plenty of enough power.. sure we would all love a gti golf but with tax petrol and insurance its costly if you are young.. and get ready to be called a snob if you buy a golf... this one girl told me go home with daddys car mommy will be looking for ya!!! some people eh:rolleyes:

Advertisement