Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway First..again..

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Only just got my hands on ths weeks copy...man Im keen...If any of ye are unfortunate enough to see a copy of Galway First, you'll see that street style section which is drivel!!! Overuse of 'fresh' and 'funky', not to mention the odd 'you go girl!'...it drives me nuts every week, we even place bets among friends to see how many times the word 'funky' is used!..........plus everyone she photographs either works in BT's or Wallis..in this weeks case, Miss Selfridge and Wallis..have a look just for the sake of it..does this drive any other Galway girls mad? or guys..usually theyve stepped outta Hanleys of TH...

Since we are in the vein of giving out bout GBFM and all...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Funky should only ever be used in when describing music. And music involving Bootsy Collins or James Brown at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

The world 'funky' has been destroyed by journalists such as this, who've probably never heard a Lyn Collins or Funakelic or Sly & The Family Stone record.

Her editor should set her a target: 'you can only use 'funky' once this week, use it sparingly'... then slowly wean her off it's malusage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

The world 'funky' has been destroyed by journalists such as this, who've probably never heard a Lyn Collins or Funakelic or Sly & The Family Stone record.

Her editor should set her a target: 'you can only use 'funky' once this week, use it sparingly'... then slowly wean her off it's malusage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Over&Over wrote: »
    or Funakelic .

what about parliament, parliament funkadelic, pfunk, or george clinton and the pfunk allstars?

Over&Over wrote: »
    or Funakelic .

what about parliament, parliament funkadelic, pfunk, or george clinton and the pfunk allstars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

funky means stinky or nasty apparently nowadays... it's all very confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

everyone she photographs either works in BT's or Wallis..in this weeks case, Miss Selfridge and Wallis..have a look just for the sake of it..does this drive any other Galway girls mad?
    Since we are in the vein of giving out bout GBFM and all...

This actually caught my attention this week too. I'm in a very cynical mood these days it seems!

It looks like such a set up because everything the girls are wearing are from the same shop. She probably goes into the shops and asks the shop assistants to come outside for the pic to make it look slightly authentic. They're not fooling us LadyPennyworth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Bring back the word "groovy" I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's true July, so true...even if you take a closer look at the photo, the backgrounds are usually Treasure Chest or that area, God forbid she'd go too far from the Galway First Office...of course you'll have BT staff walking past..grr..seriously, next week, if she mentions funky or has one more person wearing a Jesiree from BTs jacket....all won't be groovy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I very rarely read the fashion bit but much of the copy in that paper smacks of a desperate attempt to fill space between ads and photos. Some of it leaves me imagining some poor person slumped over a keyboard crying "Oh god still 150 words to go...AGHHHH".That's where the "you go girl!"s and the peppering of "funky"s come in in the fashion section I'd say.

As for using obviously fake "we-stopped-her-because-she-looked-so-fantastic" photos, are we surprised? A few weeks ago they thanked the Galway boards.ie board for alerting their attention to some youtube video or other for the sad internet section. Doubt it's the first time they've relied on something other than their own genuine ingenuity to find something fresh to fill the pages with.

I think I too am feeling cynical tonight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

The style on the streets is a complete set-up these days. This week/Last week they must have been based in the Galway Shopping Centre. It makes it very obvious when the person is decked in a certain shop's range head to toe. I liked that section pre-set up. I have seen the girls that work in warehouse featured wearing head to toe warehouse gear other weeks. It makes the feature pointless, just an advertising feature.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It makes the feature pointless, just an advertising feature.
    Outrageous that a freesheet newspaper should have journalistic standards this low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JIZZLORD wrote: »

Bootsy Collins , explicitly named by Robbo , was the bass player in ALL of those bands you plank :cool:

i know that, i was taking the piss about the line up changes and consequent name changes :D

I saw a young lady (with a copy of Galway First under her arm) and a camera stop a girl outside McCambridges on Shop Strret last Saturday. She took a photo of the unsuspecting girl with her 'funky' bluey/greeny handbag.

I bet it will be in Monday's edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well, she did it again! Used 'funk' just the once, for the girl with what I think is a hideous oufit (denim rara skirts were so 1980s) but nabbed staff from Warehouse (the girl is standing outside the shop) and a staff member from Wallis, which I think is taken at the Headford Rd Shopping centre....dear old Fiona, she's done it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

They should do an article on how crap and unfunky Galway is for men's clothes shopping.

It puts me into a funk everytime I try and buy something new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Bring back the word "groovy" I say.

Bruce Campbell style!

Bruce Campbell style!

Er, who?

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Er, who?

:eek:
    you need to watch more b-movies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Why should funky only be applied to music??

I have not seen this in galway first (and overuse of words annoys me greatly too) but to say that journalists have ruined the word funky is just wrong. The word funky was and is applied to music yes but has other meanings too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with applying this to clothes.

www.offjazz.com/terminology-jazz/term-jazz-a.htm
    It's a way to groove the music, to be funky (to be hip,- loose, -cool) Funk is also a rhythm. People say that the origin of the word funky comes from a mixing of "fun" and "skunk".

If you want to blame journalists for misuse of words hacker is a great example. Hacker was a term of respect, used among computer programmers, designers, and engineers. The hacker was one who created original and ingenious programs.

Nowadays a hacker is someone who breaks into computer systems and networks. You can blame the journalists for this one.

Of course this new meaning of hacker is only a believed by the masses the media have influence over. In computing circles the word hacker is still alive and fresh and is a great complement to some of the smartest people among us. Cracker is the correct term used for people who break into computer systems.

Which do you think sounded best to the the journalists to print "hacker or cracker"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    :eek:
    you need to watch more b-movies

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead_2

Advertisement