Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenclick claim I still have a DVD?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the best way to go about this is. I received an email from Screenclick today claiming that I still had a DVD of theirs. I was a member and ended my account about a year ago. I'd returned the two DVD's that I had at the time.

Now they're threatening to call in debt collectors for the €5 DVD :rolleyes:, so I was wondering what the best way to handle this was. I was going to reply to the email and tell them that I had returned the DVD's and that either one of them is lost in the post or their information is wrong. I was also thinking of pointing out that if I really wanted the DVD, it'd be easier to simply copy it and return the original, but was thinking that mentioning illegal activities would be a no no!

Any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Choice A.

Don't go rising them.
    They may re-possess your toaster for the missing DVD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure there must be a limition in relation to the time that has passed when it comes to this type of thing, the fact you closed your account 12 monthsd ago and they allowed you even though yuo apparently still had an outstanding DVD sounds very suspect.

The fact it took them a year to cop this is even more suspect in my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, true, but I'm still assuming I'm going to end up paying for the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ignore them. Debt collectors for 5 yoyos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Choice A.

Don't go rising them.
    They may re-possess your toaster for the missing DVD.

Thanks for the 'helpful' contribution ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

to be honest, its not worth the expenses for the dept collector to go after you for 5e but yuou'll find screenclick will say the DVD is worth maybe 40-60e I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I got an email from them saying that it's now 2 DVD's (not sure why the number suddenly went up when only one was missing earlier) and they want €30 euro for the things. I'm not too pushed about that, but what really pisses me off is the fact that they hadn't cancelled my account and they hadn't told me that! I never noticed money being taken out of my account by them, but there'll be hell to pay if they've been taking my moneya nd now demand more money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just let them know you returned the DVD in the freepost envelope they provided, and if they have not received it then they should contact An Post. If they want to start legal proceedings with you then they'll need to prove you didn't return the DVD. Since the freepost envelope that they gave you doesn't have a tracking facility, this will be rather hard for them to do.

If the try to take it any further after that, then tell them to piss off.

They'll most likely ask the op to prove he sent it, but again at the end of the day they don't have tracking so they can't prove an post didn't loose it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

This happened to me with 'Moviestar'. I signed up for their one month free trial but never received any dvds! I cancelled well within time and told them the reason why. They told me they had sent one out to me and until it was returned they could not cancel my account! We e-mailed back and forth but got nowhere. They continue to charge me every month and my bank continues to charge back the amount to my account (which is costing Moviestar a fee every month!). I don't know how long this is going to go on for but at least my bank is on my side!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Had a similar issue with Screenclick. Just keep emailing them saying you don't have their DVD and that you don't appreciate being hassled like this. Also mention the inconsistency re one DVD vs two DVDs . Keep it polite and they should get the message. Took me a couple of emails but they eventually accepted that I had sent it back to them. Not my fault if An Post didn't deliver it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Just did a quick search for screenclick there, as I'm currently trying to cancel my account (haven't received any DVDs for months) and they're telling me to return the last two DVDs 'sent'. I've sent a mail explaining that I can't return what I never received, so let's see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interesting point my GF just made, while reading the thread (true love- sharing boards:cool: ) it's pretty obvious to what's in the envelope so no wonder An Post "lose" a certain amount of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I lived in Cork, we had a common post box for our house of apartments. I subscribed to Screenclick, but after a few months, DVDs were regularly going missing. (Whether it was an Post, or someone in the building, I don't know). In fairness to Screenclick, they accepted this every time I told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

was a happy customer from 2005 up until a few months ago, service has been appalling, can take two or three weeks in between films (have a good long wishlist & signed up for two disks at a time deal) I received two films for the whole of may, posted them back to them several weeks ago (status remained as 'dispatched' but that didn't concern me as the same happened in april and an email got them to pull the finger out. This time I decided to cancel, let them know on Friday, this evening I see they've made an unauthorised charge against the cc, sh1t is going to hit the fan tomorrow :)

In short... don't use them, they were good but I think they've taken on more subscribers than they can chew.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye i would aggree with you, the service has dropped noticeably. They will put a lot of the blame on the postal dispute, which is fair enough, but i presume thats resolved by now?? I canceled anyway, remember when could get 3 dvds in a week, would be lucky to get 3 a month, then if their bottom of the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

just noticed another thing... they've been charging me €19.99 a month when it says on their site that the two disk deal is €17.99.

seriously dodgy things going on here, have signed up with moviestar (hopefully they don't carry on like screenclick... fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 linx

had the same problem with moviestar ,they insisted i hadnt sent one back, i said i had, they emailed back next day to say they found it, someone had put it in the wrong case. They apologised but I cancelled after the trial anyway. made to fell like i had done something wrong when i knew i hadnt.

Advertisement