Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA Steyr AUG A1 not firing

Options
  • 21-02-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I got myself a chrono last week and went to give the Steyr a bit of a test before planned maintenance (with new springs). I dry-fired the AEG just to see if there was juice in the battery, and then pulled the trigger a second time and .... nothing.

I've heard of AUG A1's developing a curious 'fire' issue that is apparently easily resolved, but just wanted to ask for possible ideas as to what could most likely be the problem before I pull it apart.

I'll also point out this will be the first time I've ever pulled apart an AEG and dived into the internals as such (sure I've broken the AUG down to clean the barrel, etc. but never dug deeper so to speak)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lemming wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I got myself a chrono last week and went to give the Steyr a bit of a test before planned maintenance (with new springs). I dry-fired the AEG just to see if there was juice in the battery, and then pulled the trigger a second time and .... nothing.

I've heard of AUG A1's developing a curious 'fire' issue that is apparently easily resolved, but just wanted to ask for possible ideas as to what could most likely be the problem before I pull it apart.

I'll also point out this will be the first time I've ever pulled apart an AEG and dived into the internals as such (sure I've broken the AUG down to clean the barrel, etc. but never dug deeper so to speak)

I've been doing that recently to try and fix mine[seems like I need a new hop-unit]. Firstly have you chacked the fuse, its in the stock and easy as pie to check. Other than that I dunno, dead batt? I find it fires but once the power level drops below a certain point it just completely stops, no feeble shooting in between. Its definitely not the anti reversal but maybe the triger bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hmmm, ok this is odd. I broke down the AEG, reassembled it, charged the battery, and it started firing again. I later went to chrono it before going ahead with breaking down the gearbox for some maintenance and it wouldn't fire again.

This is getting beyond annoying :confused:

Secondly, does anyone know what gearbox version the AUG has? I was under the impression it was a V2, but just read on a site mentioning it is V3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

its version 3, Is their a click or any noise at all when ya pull the trigger?

Hmmm, ok this is odd. I broke down the AEG, reassembled it, charged the battery, and it started firing again. I later went to chrono it before going ahead with breaking down the gearbox for some maintenance and it wouldn't fire again.

This is getting beyond annoying :confused:

Secondly, does anyone know what gearbox version the AUG has? I was under the impression it was a V2, but just read on a site mentioning it is V3?

You could be very unlucky and the batts dieing just as you go to chrono it.

Otherwaise, loose wire?

its version 3, Is their a click or any noise at all when ya pull the trigger?

besides the physical trigger assembly? No. Nothing when it doesn't fire. No sound of anything turning even.

You could be very unlucky and the batts dieing just as you go to chrono it.

Otherwaise, loose wire?

I don't think it's the battery - I tried two seperate batteries, and then gave one of them a full charge from empty as well. I'm thinking it's electrical though - loose wire perhap, if it was the fuse it wouldn't go from n ot working to working and back again. It would simply either work or not.

• Advertisement

besides the physical trigger assembly? No. Nothing when it doesn't fire. No sound of anything turning even.

I don't think it's the battery - I tried two seperate batteries, and then gave one of them a full charge from empty as well. I'm thinking it's electrical though - loose wire perhap, if it was the fuse it wouldn't go from n ot working to working and back again. It would simply either work or not.

Sorry, I'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I'd say bring it down to HRTA and get one of the lads to take a look at it

Just to let you all know, this was a crazy, crazy problem that left myself and kdouglas baffled for a while. Basically the fuse broke at one end right by the cap, so the wire would still conduct a current when it made contact hence the intermittent performance.

Cheers to kdouglas for taking time to sit down and figure it out (and reshim my gearbox whilst we were at it). We discovered another curiosity inside the gearbox. One of the gears has a broken tooth in the most unlikely place (where it is under absolutely no load) so will need to be replaced eventually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

lol., i had a problem like that with my M4 where the fuse had blown but it didnt look blown,. took me a while to figure it out.,

as for your gears, did ya find the piece that broke off?

vtec wrote: »
    as for your gears, did ya find the piece that broke off?

Nope - a single tooth in the most unseemly of places. The gear (forget the name) that connects with the piston - a single tooth on the area that bears no load, literally right in the middle of it all. Very, very odd.

Anyway, it'll work but will needs replaced eventually.

• Advertisement

ouch, that little bit could come back to haunt ya., if it came off the inside of the gear where theres no loads then it should be fine, i might not need changing at all.,

I FEYL.

My gearbox is all rebuilt and cycling air. But now BBs are firing about 4 foot out of the barrel (if at all) and even my chronograph wont even bother registering the velocity & power-output :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I FEYL.

My gearbox is all rebuilt and cycling air. But now BBs are firing about 4 foot out of the barrel (if at all) and even my chronograph wont even bother registering the velocity & power-output :eek:

Sounds like an air seal problem to me.

jeez no luck with that thing, is the air nozzle ok? the hopup aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You haven't attached your air nozzle to the tappet correctly I'll bet.

Rew wrote: »
    Sounds like an air seal problem to me.
    vtec wrote: »
    jeez no luck with that thing, is the air nozzle ok? the hopup aswell?

Well, the hop-up sits flush against the gearbox, covering the nozzle completely. I don't think it's damaged but admittedly I wouldn't know what I was looking for unless there was a blatantly obvious chunk of damage done to the hop-up.

Motosam wrote: »
    You haven't attached your air nozzle to the tappet correctly I'll bet.

Well, the gearbox (v.3) wont close unless assembled in a certain mannerm, so the cylinder & head are positioned correctly (otherwise the gearbox case just wont close). The nozzle is moving back & forth when I pull the trigger.

if the nozzle is moving then its fine, most likely an air leak somewhere though.,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Strange, maybe the piston head is disconnected from the piston?

I'm bamboozled.

Advertisement