Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.tv co-existing with the Television section of Boards

Options
  • 21-02-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Recently, forum requests for House and Ugly Betty have prompted debate about whether or not boards.tv can be a success while new forums are being created in the television section of boards. I'll probably get pasted for this, but does anyone else think it's worth considering merging our entire television section with boards.tv?

For example, if a user goes to the arts dropdown menu, then goes to Television > Lost it'll be the same forum with all the existing threads etc but the user would be on Boards.tv. This would also solve the issue of boards accounts not working on .tv, which I think puts some people off posting there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I seem to remember this topic being discussed before, don't know what the upshot was though. IMO there is some sense in what you say, however I watch very little TV so my opinion doesn't carry much weight:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well it was myself and 6th having the discussion on the Ugly Betty thread about this issue. As I said in that thread, while I hate to go down the "but that forum was made" road, I do think it's a valid point. There were a couple of posts on that thread where I was directed to boards.tv.

That's fair enough, but while other forums are being made for the TV section here, e.g. most recently a forum for The Mighty Boosh, more people are going to post their requests here.

I would agree with heading over to boards.tv for my request if that were the policy for all tv related forums. At the moment it isn't. Obviously people are going to want to get as much traffic for these forums as possible, hence why they post on the busier site.

I agree that people might be put off by the fact that they have to re-register to use boards.tv instead of their boards.ie account being usable. Maybe this has already been ruled out by the admins, I don't know.

I do think that some decision should be made on the issue though. Either people can post tv requests here or they can't, and if they can there should be a stop put to all the "boards.tv" replies that the threads get.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I might get a slap for this but I think whatever Admin made the Boosh forum in TV was wrong to do it.

Even the people who wanted the Boosh forum used the agruement for it not to go to Boards.Tv was because it was not just about the TV show .... yet thats where its been put? Has it been put in the wrong section? Were the pro-Booshers just using that line because they wanted the forum on Boards.ie? I dont know.

All I know is that Boards.ie and the Admins should be supporting Boards.Tv not making it look like its a waste of time. I honestly think Boards.Tv was made because they could buy the domain.

Also people may aswell post every threadin AH as it gets the most traffic. If theres a more suitable place to post something then it should be used.

6th wrote: »
    Also people may aswell post every threadin AH as it gets the most traffic. If theres a more suitable place to post something then it should be used.

That kind of comparison would be fair enough if there was no area on boards.ie for television discussions. At the moment there is and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to post on the website that is actually used by a lot of people.

However, I do agree with your other post. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll probably get pasted for this...
    I might get a slap for this but I think whatever Admin ....

Folks, you have the wrong impression of feedback. What on earth makes you think constructive criticism/feedback will be received unwelcomingly*

*is that really a word?

I'd love to know why the powers that be made Boards.tv and what direction they saw it taking? Did they predict this clash?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Chinafoot wrote: »
    That kind of comparison would be fair enough if there was no area on boards.ie for television discussions. At the moment there is and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to post on the website that is actually used by a lot of people.
    That's the thing. People are put off because of the low-volume of traffic, but if everyone thinks like that then things won't change.
    Folks, you have the wrong impression of feedback. What on earth makes you think constructive criticism/feedback will be received unwelcomingly*

Well I thought the particular part of my post about merging the two might be unpopular, because people are understandably territorial about the tv fora here.

That's the thing. People are put off because of the low-volume of traffic, but if everyone thinks like that then things won't change.

I agree, but at the same time it won't change if tv forums are going to continue to be made here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think the resolution given the last time this was brought up is that boards.tv is a separate forum, with a separate user base. Just because someone uses boards.ie doesn't mean they use boards.tv, and shouldn't be forced to. It's still a young forum and will grow in its own time.

Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I might get a slap for this but I think whatever Admin made the Boosh forum in TV was wrong to do it.

Even the people who wanted the Boosh forum used the agruement for it not to go to Boards.Tv was because it was not just about the TV show .... yet thats where its been put? Has it been put in the wrong section? Were the pro-Booshers just using that line because they wanted the forum on Boards.ie? I dont know.
    Where would you sugest it is put then? It's been a stage show, a radio show, a TV show and soon it will also be a feature film.

The TV show is probably most peoples gateway to the world of Boosh, so being put in the TV category is probably the most sensible.

If all the TV forums were moved over to boards.tv I'd simply stop using them. I contribute to many TV forums here as they are part of the broader boards.ie community and boards.ie is the message board that I use. I've tried using boards.tv in the past... but I really don't have interest in logging into multiple forums.

Most tv programmes already have forums of their own... why not go there, why bother with boards.tv at all? The forums are created on boards.ie so you can contribute to them while you are contributing to boards.ie in general.

Put it under arts.

Is Boards.Tv doomed to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Put it under arts.

Boards.TV is designed to be an international site, whereas Boards.ie, like .US UK NZ and the rest are more aimed at the local communities

I understand the argument, I wanted to, but havent, proposed a tv show I like as a forum here because it already exists on boards.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I think the main thing holding boards.tv back is the need to re-register.
    I mean anyone could register my username on boards.tv and post there as me (only an example as i've already registered on .tv).

The beauty of boards.ie is that everything is catered for on 1 site.....splitting the TV section over to .tv at this stage seems unlikely but makes you wonder what boards.tv was originally intended for...unless there was a hope to convince the people of Tuvalu to embrace the boards lifestyle?? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Put it under arts.

Yes.

I've never understood why it was created but soon decided that in order for it to grow it needs to be supported by Boards.ie and that support would be lent in the form of not creating new tv-based forums here.

But without knowing why boards.tv was created its IMHO pointless suggesting what to do to *fix* the problem.

I'm not going to do this for you, right, but if you bothered to use the bloody search function you can find out why boards.tv was created.

I mean, for years people were moaning because search was disabled, now its back we get posts like the above, in fact - you don't even have to use search - i told you three posts up!!!!

Christ almighty, you couldn't make this up..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Isn't an international site for television programs a kinda stupid idea? Seeing as we all get shows at different times and what not.

Could i ask a question 6th: Why are you so against the TV section here?

kinda silly example about the after hours IMO though. tv section of .ie is hardly a less suitable section to post something about tv shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I like everything in one place.

That is all

Isn't an international site for television programs a kinda stupid idea? Seeing as we all get shows at different times and what not.

Yes, i can see the point you're making, but there are many sites dedicated to TV shows which, although are based in the US or UK, are international, although they are mostly dedicated to a specific show.

It's only being going a year, boards.ie after one year was nothing compared to what it is now. It not robbing any posters from the TV forums here, it is a stand alone site, so I cant see why anyone here can have a problem with it.

Then again, a boards group username/password thing would make things easier, but what if the popebenny16 on boards.tv isn't me, em? What do we do then?

It's only being going a year, boards.ie after one year was nothing compared to what it is now. It not robbing any posters from the TV forums here, it is a stand alone site, so I cant see why anyone here can have a problem with it.

Well I have no problem with boards.tv and I don't think many do. The issue I have is that when people are requesting forums here they're being told to go to boards.tv. Either the sites are linked or they aren't. If they aren't, people should be allowed to request any tv forums they like here and threads shouldn't be clogged up with "boards.tv tbh" type posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

be interesting to compare the registry of both and see how many names are registered to .tv and not to .ie ? I'd be surprised if there was 1 tbh!!

The supense of this thread is killing me....

suspensefulcat_isfullofsuspense.jpg

Sorry.... couldnt help myself 22 posts in feedback without a cat.... not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well I wouldn't be in favour of abolishing the television section on Boards. What I was trying to suggest in my OP, although I don't know if I explained it well (or if it's even possible) is that we bring Boards.tv over here.

For example, what if we made a Boards.tv dropdown menu here and put the television section under it? Then if you go into any of the fora under the dropdown menu, you're in Boards.tv but just a click away back to the rest of Boards.

But again, I don't know anything about the vBulletin system so apologies if that's bollocks :o

I agree with you, it's a good idea and it would combat the evident reluctance people have with going to a separate site.

But again, that depends on whether or not the two sites are connected or two totally separate entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chinafoot wrote:
    that depends on whether or not the two sites are connected or two totally separate entities.
    Largely, they exist as two utterly different vB installations. The user database was populated with a certain subset of boards.ie (or possibly boards.us, IIRC) users, but accounts between the two sites are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I agree with you, it's a good idea and it would combat the evident reluctance people have with going to a separate site.

But again, that depends on whether or not the two sites are connected or two totally separate entities.

well there's the question isn't it. If they are 2 separate entitiies then telling me as a supporter of the House forum that I should go to boards.tv and post is as relevant as telling me to post on any other House related site anywhere in the known world.

If the idea is for boards.ie and boards.tv to be linked in some way, then thats different.

I've given boards.tv a go. albeit with only posting a handful (5 i think) of times. I've been having a look nearly daily though and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. Apart from a few exceptions it seems that most of the "most recent" posts stay on the front page for about 24+ hours.

Yep, it might just take time to take off, and it'd be nice if it did. Thing is though, I chose boards.ie to join and post on, not boards.tv I've nothing against any of the other boards family but simply put I don't want to post on them. NOt at the minute anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they are 2 separate entitiies then telling me as a supporter of the House forum that I should go to boards.tv and post is as relevant as telling me to post on any other House related site anywhere in the known world.

Do you mind if I ask, who is telling you to post on boards.tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Do you mind if I ask, who is telling you to post on boards.tv?

I was. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smashey wrote: »
    I was. :D
    Were you telling them to post there or merely suggesting an alternative? There is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Advertisement

You're lucky that was on the second page, I was gonna stop reading. :D
    As Ruu said, we have a House forum on boards.tv. Why not use it for a while and see what kind of traffic it gets? :D

Platant pimpage? Yes. Telling someone to post on boards.tv? No, you were simply offering an alternative.

Advertisement