Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any solution relieve signs of teething for a 5 month old

Options
  • 21-02-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

We have a 5 month girl who up until 2 weeks ago slept from 8 till 6 am on average for the last few months. Now all of a sudden she is up every hour. We gather that she is teething as her cheeks are puffy red, hands in the mouth all the time and she is rubbing her eyes alot too. We had to resort to putting on mittens on her as she kept scratching her face. The doctor said she wasnt teething but clearly something is going on. We changed her reflux medicine last week as the doctor wanted to put her on something stronger.

You can feel something when you put your finger in her mouth. Myself and the wife havent got much sleep over the last 2 weeks.Anyone have any advice. Apart from that she is perfectly happy, started solids again a few weeks ago and seems to be thriving apart from the lack of sleep. On the plus side she naps more during the day which she never used to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

That sounds like a tough one...for starters id try to keep the child awake during the day as much as possible so that she might sleep at night. Have you tried a teething ring or even a rusk? Mine used to love biting on rusks & i think it helped the teeth come through..bonjela was a lifesaver for me as well. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You could try some Teetha, if you haven't already. It helped with ours a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

A lack of sleep can turn anyone mad.
    For during the day, you do need to keep her awake. My daughter got the most relief from those Mr. Freezes - ice cold and a bit tasty - it can make a mess though.

For during the night - Teetha sachets did help our daughter sometimes, but mostly we'd just give her some Panadol baby suspension to help her with the pain. I don't know how you feel about giving your daughter panadol every night, all I can say was that it worked for us. If she woke up crying, we'd give it to her and lull her back to sleep.

The naps is a catch 22, it's harder to keep her more active during the day when she's tired from no sleep the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Teegel or Gumeze I found on the spot helps esp if you are waiting for a pain relief meds to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

our daughter took to bonjela like a duck takes to water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It was the sore bums that upset my kids the most when teething... teetha usually worked well for us and calpol if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

OP...when she wakes at night,is she upset?..does she cry for long,or does she nod off back to sleep when you comfort her?

My son at 5 months started the same thing...but it had more to do with him kicking the blankets off himself and then getting cold.If it could be that,then a grobag is the answer for the next little while.But I did make sure we removed it by 7 months,as I always felt babies got great excercise from crawling,rolling and climbing around thier cots.

At 5 months is she not a lil young for teeth? My son always chewed on his fingers...and from 6 weeks used to get very flushed...and we had everyone telling us it was teeth,but his first tooth only came up 3 weeks ago,at 9 months.

Babies gums are amazing...they look quite soft,but where you feel them theyre like bone..and the sucking power of them...I thought my son was gonna suck the nail right off my finger sometimes.

Mind you OP...it could all just be a phase she is going through.
    Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 36 denmcn

I use Anbesol for my LO and find it easier to apply than bonjela as it is liquid rather than slimey gel.

I have also bought her an amber teething necklace. Amber is a fossilised resin that is supposed to have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Do a google on it - you'll get much better information on it than I'm giving. I feel that she is much better since wearing the necklace, the drooling has reduced dramatically which in turn has meant that she is much less chesty since she's been wearing it.

hth

Advertisement