Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good Danish Pastry recipes?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

There are some online for danish pastries. I think other countries might have different styles. I am looking for the typical one you would get in Irish bakeries.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

So last night I made dough for these http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/514784
    all looked good, i made up the nectarine filling and some creme patisserie.
    attempted to make them this morning, but instead of using strips - like he says, i cut squares and brought the edges together with the filling in the middle.

Oh they looked great when they came out of the oven, but the underside was raw :eek: and I had too much filling and the butter melted and burned the bottom of my oven, I was supposed to have the beautiful scent of fresh pastries now, not a kitchen full of smoke and raw pastry :(

Um, any tips on how to improve next time (if there is a next time) :rolleyes:

EDIT: So I've had a taste -

Tip 1: use unsalted butter - I didn't have unsalted, pastry tastes too salty and not sweet enough.
    Tip 2: most important (for me at least) take care on making the pastry, I did rush it a little. I'd go the extra mile at the butter stage, maybe fold a roll an extra bit, to make it more flakey (mine is not very flakey)
    Tip 3: dont overfill! The filling is delicious but it's not worth the spillage and smoke :P
    Tip 4: follow the assembly in the recipe, I'd guess the recipe advises strips because that shape will cook better, unlike my raw based danish :o

*my only ponder now is; does that recipe contain too much butter, because the pastry taste a little too stodgy?

Advertisement