Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok, I've just heard this.....

• 21-02-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

has anybody heard similar or is it complete waffle?

When we go to licence our firearms in July 2009 it will be on a three yearly basis. However, all firearms, rifle, shotgun (not sure on pistols) will be on the licence & the fee will be €22 per firearm irrespective. You will also, apparently, be able to renew your licence at the Post Office or Garda Station when the time comes. New firearms will also be added to your existing cert.

A friend of mine was at a meeting yesterday & apparently Des Croft (NARGC) was in attendance when this was announced/discussed.

Sounds to good to be true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

sounds way too good to be through,but even the thought of it is making me happy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Seems completely plausible to me at least that the Government would ban, sorry, restrict, our guns and then decide to rationalise the licencing/renewal process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd heard €25 not €22.
    And the 'subsequent shotgun' stuff to be done away with as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sparks wrote: »
    I'd heard €25 not €22.
    And the 'subsequent shotgun' stuff to be done away with as well.

€22 or €25, I think I can handle that reduction for my rifles... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's €25 per year, with a 3-year licence so €75 Trojan. Per firearm.
    I've heard nothing on the one man one licence stuff and nothing on the Post Office angle either, and I'd look on both of those with a bit of skepticism until I heard from someone in the FCP.
    The 'subsequent shotgun' stuff is to be done away with as well, from what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

So for a lot of shooters it will probably cost the same per firearm per annum, on average. Letsay 2 shotguns & 2 rifles will cost €100 as apposed to €106 at the moment. Payin out that €300's gonna sting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sparks wrote: »
    That's €25 per year, with a 3-year licence so €75 Trojan. Per firearm.

Thought it was to good to be true. Ya, that will sting alright..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yea its the same price per anum!
    The licence just lasts for 3 years!
    Its a good idea really.
    But iv heard roumers that there will be an increase aswell for rifles, but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I was in a gun dealer Saturday 16/2/2008. And he told me that the licence will be going to a 3 year cert.

3 year licence would be a good idea as it would save the trip to the local station once a year. My station only opens form 10am to 1pm Monday to Saturday. Can be hard to get time off to go into them. Also they won't take cash so I need to go to the post office anyway to get a postal order. So if you pay for the cert in the post office would be even better.

But that dealer did say that when you cert runs out it will not be a renewal but [FONT=&quot]a reapplication, so would be like putting in for your first cert again.[/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

All very good, (Heard about the PO from my FO last year, but He wasnt defo), however unless it is bar code technology, if I change my fire arm will it be a re apply or strike through as is the case all things considering..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sounds too good to be true but I hope I'm wrong :)

Now, if only they'd get rid of that ridiculous bit of toilet roll they print our important firearms details on (that would be the licence) and replace it with a credit card style jobbie with a chip in it the world would be a much better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

exactly, and have all the info on some database rather than a bit of paper,that reapplication after 3yrs is some load of nonsence.

Advertisement