Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership

Options
  • 21-02-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi all,
    we bought a car in october from a garage. we signed whatever forms we had to and they said they'd post the relevenat documentation to the DOE.

we never receieved anyhting back. we have been in touch with the garage in question several times and each time we are told they'll sort it out. I'm getting fed up at this stage!

i rang DOE directly and they have no records of the change of ownership or the garage.

so called the garage again and told them what the DOE said and the guy said he'll sort it out (again)

what's my next port of call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

.....If you told the garage that you had received numerous parking tickets that they would be liable for .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Garage owner/ manager. Go in and make some noise in a couple of days and ask for proof of sending off forms etc.

What kind of dealer was it? How much was the car? (not being nosey, but the difference in service between a main delaer for a €20k newish car and €1500 for a feshty from Arfur is quite great).

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

it was between 15-20k. reputable dealer. but the garage is located about 2 hours drive from us so it's a little more difficult to get to. but yes calling in is probably the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

See if they are a member of www.simi.ie.

Chase them via SIMI if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

thanks. they are listed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm guessing here that the dealership may have lost or misplaced the Vehicle Registration Cert of the car but don't want to admit it. Not uncommon at this time of year with the number of cars flying out of the showrooms. A bit sloppy and still noexcuss though as the garage can fill out a form and get a new one issued from Shannon. I bet the numerous bank drafts they received from customers don't suffer the same faith. :rolleyes:

I would try contacting the General Manager of the dealership or go higher up the food change to a MD. I would not hold my breath on the SIMI being of much help.

Failing all that then a few parking fines should get their finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I had a similar problem recently but due to slightly different circumstances with the scrotes in question refusing to send in the documents. I got a form from the DOE to have signed in the presence of a commissioner of oaths and also had to have the VIN verified by a main dealer. Lots of hassle but only took about 2 weeks from the day i posted it off to shannon to get the ownership form.

On the other side of the equation I was receiving parking fines for the vehicle i traded in and had to follow a similar route to have it taken out of my name.

I know its more info than you prob needed but there is a process to get the documents that you need.

Advertisement