Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deputy President of Students Union on Joe Duffy

• 21-02-2008 4:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did I hear correctly, was the Students Unions deputy president on Joe Duffy just there defending the strippers ye had for RAG Week? I could of sworn that's the IT Joe said it was from - some women was giving out saying it was "degrading to women". Very amusing, and while he was under pressure he did a great job. Fair play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Yeah, it was Alan Mulcahy, the Dep Pres / Education Officer.

Something about a picture being in the Star. They've been doing strippers in IT Tallaght for years and the complaints get worse and worse every year, yet it always sells out.

Although a 30 minute airing on RTÉ Radio 1 might get the college to try and step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oirthir wrote: »
    Although a 30 minute airing on RTÉ Radio 1 might get the college to try and step in.

Well, it is one way to increase student numbers. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The caller had the worst points though and she was basing it all on women, and none on men.

I mean, if they want to be strippers - so be it, I don't think they find it "degrading", as Alan said -- its their job and if they felt it, they would not be strippers. The same goes for the men. People pay to go in, so I doubt they feel uncomfortable - I would imagine they know what there getting themselves into when they go in.

Joe was completely against it, and supporting the caller. I felt the way he spoke to Alan was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

I feel that Joe Duffy speaking is awful. If I had one legal execution, I'd lean heavily towards Joe "Voice of the People" Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Funny, because there are usually male strippers too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Oirthir wrote: »
    I feel that Joe Duffy speaking is awful. If I had one legal execution, I'd lean heavily towards Joe "Voice of the People" Duffy.

I agree. His show is ghastly and he likes nothing more than tabloid emotions and engineering a scrap between the unfortunate people he sets up on the show.

Liveline has become a parody of the genre, and should be studied by the media studies courses in all third level institutions as an example of cheap & vulgar tabloid titillation.

Ghastly, ghastly, ghastly.

Advertisement