Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a sad, sad day

Options
  • 21-02-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

It’s a sad, sad day for the people of Drumcondra today. For over thirty years Paul’s Delicatessen has served the people of this community well and it will close forever at the end of business today. For the last three years I’ve been going to college in Drumcondra and have always looked forward to a lunch time roll from either Paul or his wife, Roisin. They always made a nice quality roll for a grand aul’ price of €3.20 – very hard to find a good quality roll in Dublin at that price. Paul’s deli was your typical Dublin independent sole trader kind of service, lovely old couple who always served with a smile. Sad to see it go but all good things have to end some time. It was mad busy (as usual) over there today. Anyone regularly use this place as well? Any where else in Drumcondra to get a nice quality roll now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

was that the one right at the end of lower dorset street? next door to the pizza joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

any reason as to why its closed or is it just that the couple are calling it a day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was at college nearby in the early 80s. We used to love their sandwiches - it was one of the few places you could get proper stringy 'real' coleslaw and roast pork sandwiches. When you think of the crap served up now by Spar/Centra/Londis clones it is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Cocobells wrote: »
    was that the one right at the end of lower dorset street? next door to the pizza joint.

Yup.
    any reason as to why its closed or is it just that the couple are calling it a day?

They are just going in to retirement, though their daughters do help in there so I just they'd just take over the running of the shop from their parents.
    spurious wrote: »
    When you think of the crap served up now by Spar/Centra/Londis clones it is heartbreaking.

Indeed, it is always nice being asked how your day was and stuff, never get that in any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I was in there for my favourite today,a toasted ham and cheese with mustard. I was sad to hear their retiring, but tbh I often wondered why they didn't sell up with the high prices they could get for the property,assuming of course they own it. They worked 6 days a week,probably sunday too preparing food,which I believe they always cooked themselves. They had wine and sambo's and cake layed out for all the old timers today,a nice touch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement