Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick VRT query

Options
  • 21-02-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭

Lads im importing an m3 from the north before gormley ruins everyones fun,

ill have it down at the weekend and intend on registering as soon as poss, one quick thing tho, am i right in assuming that if i register it in a month motor tax is payable from that month?

so it would make more sense to register at the start of march not the end of feb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Correct, motor tax runs from the date of first registration IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, you can register it now and pay tax from 01 March. Or April, for that matter. You will need to get the form signed by the Guards, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

but i presume in the normal course of events, i.e. cars isnt off the road its from date of registration and id save myself a months tax by waiting a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

if you dont wanna pay this months tax, then register it next month

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote: »
    but i presume in the normal course of events, i.e. cars isnt off the road its from date of registration and id save myself a months tax by waiting a day
    Yes, but the Guards aren't strict about signing/stamping the form, and you're unlikely to get into too much trouble for not having tax on a freshly-imported car. Driving a car on which VRT has not been paid is potentially a far bigger problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would image either wait another week and a bit to bring the car down and then registering it or get the Gardai to stamp a form stating the car was off the road for the time in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Isn't road tax due to increase in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The increase has already come into effect. Have you sold the 530i already? That was quick!! I'd say bring it down home leave it on the driveway till the end of the month and clear it then. Then tax it.
    Or clear it then don't drive it & get the tax renewal form stamped as suggested above. Once you are confident that you won't be driving it then I'd say you're fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nodnedlog wrote: »
    Isn't road tax due to increase in March?

guys, he is talking about the VRT increases.
    if he imports the M3 this month and registers it he ill pay 30% VRT and 1491 euro per year in road tax. if he imports and registers it in july he will pay 36% VRT and 2k a year in road tax.

just bring it in, register, then go to the guards on the 1st March with the rf100 form and tell them it was off the road until today and they stamp it and you get your tax from the the first of March.

best of luck cyrus, have seen the car in question over on BMW Drivers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any photos of the M3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kceire wrote: »
    guys, he is talking about the VRT increases.

No, he is talking about tax. He knows the VRT situation, he was asking if he would have to pay the tax for Feb if he reg'd it before he end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The increase has already come into effect. Have you sold the 530i already? That was quick!! I'd say bring it down home leave it on the driveway till the end of the month and clear it then. Then tax it.
    Or clear it then don't drive it & get the tax renewal form stamped as suggested above. Once you are confident that you won't be driving it then I'd say you're fine.

thanks for all advice lads. yeah 530i sold, took 3 weeks, longest ever for me! delighted with the m3 im picking up, carbon black with kiwi leather about 47000 miles on an 02 plate. ill post proper pics when ive got it registered etc but here are some for now

377081-1.jpg
    377081-2.jpg
    377081-4.jpg

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Looks good. Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stekelly wrote: »
    No, he is talking about tax. He knows the VRT situation, he was asking if he would have to pay the tax for Feb if he reg'd it before he end of the month.

my bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sweet!

Well wear, Cyrus :D

To confirm about the tax: it is due from the first day of the month it was transferred. So if you put 29/02/2008 on the form, you have to pay tax for the full month of February

Advertisement