Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript and non javascript link

Options
  • 21-02-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm trying to sort out my "next" links and alphabetical on this page:

www.ratemypub.ie/cork/

I want to
    • keep the javascript version
    • add a javascript command or link to go to the top of the page when it has been clicked
    • add a regular link
    • add code to recognise when JS is off

Can I just have

<a href="link" onclick="do some java">blah blah</a>

What's the java to go to the top of the page, I could do anchoring and so on but then I could do regular links

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

add #top to the link
    <a href="link#top" onclick="jsfunction();return false;">blah blah</a>

and set the anchor name inside the div that will refresh the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

Sorry louie I don't get ya? inside the div that will refresh the content? huh?

anyways people are saying i should have the old fashioned links too as well as the javascript so will that link anchor not get in the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

anyways people are saying i should have the old fashioned links too as well as the javascript

True - (most) search engine bots won't check for JavaScript, so they'd only find your home page and not any pages linked to....

so will that link anchor not get in the way?

Not as long as the function or onclick call returns false. If the JavaScript is triggered then the link won't be followed.

Gary on IWM I gave you a link related to friendly links & javascript (ajax).
    Did you have a look at it. It explains everything Why? and How?

The anchor # should be placed at the end of the URL+QS#top and it won't break the link at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

louie wrote: »

Started reading the first post .. and was thinking didn't Louie already say this over on IWF :D

• Advertisement

Ha ya ye caught me to be honest i dont like annoying people too much so i split the questions :D

I got the jist of it and it all seems to make sense apart from how i set up the anchor part so i dont break the link? is it javascript go to the top of the page?

you were saying:

<a href="link#top" onclick="jsfunction();return false;">blah blah</a>

But i have to put in:

<a href="http://www.ratemypub.ie/newpage.php&quot; onclick="jsfunction();return false;">blah blah</a>

to add the old style linkage??

The anchor # should be placed at the end of the URL+QS#top and it won't break the link at all.

Oh my god Garry. You need to brush-up on your html learning curve.

<a href="http://www.ratemypub.ie/newpage.php#top" onclick="jsfunction();return false;">blah blah</a>

You are able to handle js but not plain html?

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp

Ah don't think my html is that bad, I think there's a little miscommunication.

"#top" I get that, I used to use it on the old site fine.

The problem is, how do I use it with the javascript.

People are saying that when they scroll to the bottom of the page and click next 20, the javascript changes the content for them but doesnt bring them back up to the top of the page.

So the way the links are working now, if they don't have js switched on when they click next it will bring them to a new page (generally at the top anyways) but if they have js switched on when they click next it refresh the content of the page but won't change the position.

Sorry for the confusion lads.

Oh my god Garry. You need to brush-up on your html learning curve.

<a href="http://www.ratemypub.ie/newpage.php#top" onclick="jsfunction();return false;">blah blah</a>

You are able to handle js but not plain html?

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp

You'll want something like ...
    window.scrollTo(0,0)

or similar after your javascript finishes doing what its doing no doubt ?

In fact ah . . nice wan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, I'm assuming you want to set it up so that if they have JS enabled, you want to use AJAX to update the page content, but if they don't have JS enabled, you want to link them in the normal way?

Easy enough.

As you've clicked, the link should look something like:

<a href="http://www.ratemypub.ie/page.php?locid=10&pagnum=2&quot; onclick="getNextPage(2);return false">

Where getNextPage() uses AJAX to retrieve the details for the specified page. With JS enabled, AJAX will be used and "return false" will prevent the link from loading. With JS disabled, the link will load.

Within your AJAX function, just add the following bit of code to jump the page to the top:

document.location.href = '#top';

GaryCocs wrote: »
    In fact ah . . nice wan!

All part of the service :D

seamus wrote: »
    document.location.href = '#top';

damn ... even more obvious .. *hangs head*

Advertisement