Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP1 to prove problematic.

• 21-02-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

:eek:

Courtesy of ENN:

Microsoft has published a list of programs that are incompatible with its recently-released Vista Service Pack 1. The affected apps include a number of security programs such as Zone Alarm Security Suite, Trend Micro Internet Security and Rising Personal Firewall. Vista users have been advised to install updates to fix the problem. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 contains many security, reliability, and feature updates for Windows Vista, according to Microsoft. "A program may experience a loss of functionality after you install Windows Vista SP1. However, most programs will continue to work as expected after you install Windows Vista SP1." The full list of incompatible programs can be found HERE

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Mneh not much of a loss,
    Zone Alarm is a joke of a program and the other two I've never even heard of.
    Been using sp1 for motnhs now and I've had no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

A bit sensationalist tbh.
    12 programs, most unheard of, and 9 of them have compatible versions already available.

Like garthv I've been using SP1 for a while now with a good mixture of software & hardware and no problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SP1 works fine here, I dont use zone alarm bloatware or Trend Micro and not heard of rising firewall... This list is nothing compared to the list XP SP2 compatability issiues it had at time it came out iirc :D, SP2 had a huge list, this is just more stupid vista bashing :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep, SP1 has been fine for me too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

is the full release of SP1 out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

dubmick wrote: »
    SP1 RC2 is out which has been confirmed as the RTM. It's been released to partners/Microsoft Developer Network and it's been released for x64 systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I have SP1 working and Trend has been unaffected by it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I would say, without a proof, but with a very strong feeling, that Microsoft has also probably kicked those programs out (Why only those would be not working anymore...) because they are very popular and they are trying to sell OneCare v2.0 to the end users.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mick.fr wrote: »
    I would say, without a proof, but with a very strong feeling, that Microsoft has also probably kicked those programs out (Why only those would be not working anymore...) because they are very popular and they are trying to sell OneCare v2.0 to the end users.
    Trend Micro popular? Never thought that, AVG, Avast, AntiVir etc all work fine in SP1, ohh yeah and my NOD32 works fine aswell, also not heard of rising firewall but the likes of Comodo etc still appear to be working? I doubt very much microsoft were planning anything here :confused:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got my SP1 update (64bit Vista) thru windows update today, absolutely no probs, cant say i noticed any difference either.

Its only available for 64bit so far because third party driver conflicts, more here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then latest versions of zone alarm are fine too.

Most / all the products are security related and so it most likely related to security tweaks in Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,941 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SP1 right - albeit in somewhat of a beta form: those of you using it would reccomend it being at a stage for use by the average consumer? Im wondering whether to install it now or wait for the official release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

sure windows has its one firewall for years now, why are people buying another one

Overheal wrote: »
    SP1 right - albeit in somewhat of a beta form: those of you using it would reccomend it being at a stage for use by the average consumer? Im wondering whether to install it now or wait for the official release.

Mine is the official release, 64bit sp1 is out, no beta here

yeah, you can get the 32bit and 64bit RTM sp1 from one of "those" sites

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mukki wrote: »
    sure windows has its one firewall for years now, why are people buying another one
    The windows firewall doesn't alert you to stuff dialing home

Then again there are a good few free for personal use firewalls for VISTA.

If you want to pay for a firewall, then spend it on hardware first, I'd rather have NAT + windows firewall than a direction connection to the internet and just a software fire.

yeah, you can get the 32bit and 64bit RTM sp1 from one of "those" sites
    Look at NT4 SP6 , the fixed version is 6a

Unless I was having real problems I'd wait until a month after the service pack is released and let other people be the guinea pigs.

The windows firewall doesn't alert you to stuff dialing home

very true, but from experience with zone alarm if someone sees a popup saying naked4u.exe is trying to connect to 234.122.33.41 they will click deny once or twice, but after the 3rd or 4th popup they will click allow, most people just want popups to go away asap

Look at NT4 SP6 , the fixed version is 6a

Unless I was having real problems I'd wait until a month after the service pack is released and let other people be the guinea pigs.

yeah your right, but i am more an out with the old in with the new sort of person, i rebuild pcs everyday of the week so if i mess it up i could post on here to war you guys.

very true, but from experience with zone alarm if someone sees a popup saying naked4u.exe is trying to connect to 234.122.33.41 they will click deny once or twice, but after the 3rd or 4th popup they will click allow, most people just want popups to go away asap
    LOL
    funny 'cos it's true
    nothing is idiot proof :p

My job as a wireless broadband installer brings me in2 peoples houses to set-up their pc's. Yep, i've come across people like that, people who cancel all windows updates when they pop-up thinking they're viruses. I've even got "the broadband is slowing down the computer, it takes ages to start"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,941 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Norton does the trick for me. Might ask me if something wants to run for the first time but then it wises up. I never hear from it again unless something tries to hack or portscan me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

dubmick wrote: »

Normal users it will be available mid march.

However i do not advise installing it at the moment

See : http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2748299&SiteID=17
    Yes i have lost test systems because of it so far and my own system....

Overheal wrote: »
    Norton does the trick for me. Might ask me if something wants to run for the first time but then it wises up. I never hear from it again unless something tries to hack or portscan me.

please refrain from saying good things about norton:D

your pc would be much faster and more stable without it

Advertisement