Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Uncool' Musicians That Have Had Very Cool Songs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How are Aerosmith uncool?

Rick Astley - 'Never Gonna Give You Up' :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Semisonic - Secret Smile

They couldn't even qualify as geek chic but that song is phenomenal

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How about Weezer? Uncool, but so many good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How are Aerosmith uncool?

Good god, in what way are Aerosmith cool?!

Chris deBurgh is probably the single most uncool man in the world, kind of like the anti-cool but get a couple of jars in me and I get a hankering to sing "Patricia The Stripper" or listen to "Spanish Train".

Likewise Billy Joel, not hip but some f his songs have great narratives - Piano Man in particular.

Not that I would admit this to anyone who knew me!

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Semisonic - Secret Smile

They couldn't even qualify as geek chic but that song is phenomenal

Good song alright but not a patch on 'Closing Time'
    eo980 wrote: »
    Examples?

'Buddy Holly', 'The Sweater Song', 'Say It Ain't So', 'Island In The Sun', 'Dope Nose', 'Keep Fishin', 'Burndt Jamb'.....I could go on. Great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Aw come on man you can't put Aerosmith in the same category as Cliff Richard, thats just not right.

What about Talking heads? Are they considered uncool? I think they rule. Road to Nowhere for example.
    or Kraftwerk... Autobahn.

Creature wrote: »
    Aw come on man you can't put Aerosmith in the same category as Cliff Richard, thats just not right.

Oh we can we can. C'mon they are both uncool, but both have at least one great song.
    What about Talking heads? Are they considered uncool? I think they rule. Road to Nowhere for example.

I would have thought Talking Heads were a respected 80's band. Maybe I'm wrong though as I don't know much about them apart from that song, which is great by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Oh we can we can. C'mon they are both uncool, but both have at least one great song.

Never!! Aerosmith will never be uncool and nevermind one great song they have two whole albums full of great songs!

May the great music gods smite you for likening the Smith to Cliff Richard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wtf is "cool"? If Aerosmith aren't "cool" then I don't think I wanna know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I would have thought Talking Heads were a respected 80's band. Maybe I'm wrong though as I don't know much about them apart from that song, which is great by the way.

David Byrne is probably considered a bit of a nerd. Doesn't stop him from being cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Since when were Weezer and Talking Heads "uncool".

Off the top of my head i'd say:
    Robbie Williams: "Feel".
    GNR: "Don't cry", "November Rain" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" (oh wait.. GNR are officially cool again aren't they :D:confused: ).
    John Secada: "Just another Day" :o
    Linkin Park: A lot of their stuff.
    Roy Orbison: "Mystery Girl".
    Madonna: A lot of her early stuff is really good pop (many would say "uncool" though).
    Depeche Mode: All stuff is good.

tech77 wrote: »
    Since when were Weezer and Talking Heads "uncool".

Off the top of my head i'd say:
    Robbie Williams: "Feel".
    GNR: "Don't cry", "November Rain" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" (oh wait.. GNR are officially cool again aren't they :D:confused: ).
    John Secada: "Just another Day" :o
    Madonna: A lot of her early stuff is really good pop (many would say "uncool" though).

Don't you dare be ashamed. What a top tune that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

When were they uncool?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ok as if claiming Aerosmith were uncool was bad enough, somebody's now mentioned Guns n Roses. This thread has officially failed.

FAILED! Aerosmith are ****ing kick ****ing ass. And GNR? GNR are the coolest band in the history of cool. GNR rule.
    What next? Feckin ACDC? Led Zeppelin? If guns n roses and Aerosmith arent cool then who in the hell are cool?
    the Fonz?
    **** Fonzy.

Don't you dare be ashamed. What a top tune that is.

Nah, it's defo a guilty pleasure. :D
    Easy-listening aside though, it is quite a good song imo.

OK how about:
    1. Dido's contribution to Eminem's "Stan" (I think poor oul' Dido comes in for a lot of unfair criticism but i think she's ok).
    2. Phil Collins (arguably the king of "uncool"): "In the air tonight"- Drum solo FTW. :)
    3. Also who could forget Journey (generally "uncool" band): "Don't stop believing"
    4. Alison Krauss (not exactly hip, Robert Plant association notwithstanding): "Baby, now that i've found you" (i think it's "cool" anyway)

Edit: BTW Love the video for "Islands in the sun" by Weezer. Simply a beautiful song.

OK how about:
    1. Dido's contribution to Eminem's "Stan" (I think poor oul' Dido comes in for a lot of unfair criticism but i think she's ok).
    2. Phil Collins (arguably the king of "uncool"): "In the air tonight"- Drum solo FTW. :)
    3. Also who could forget Journey (generally "uncool" band): "Don't stop believing"

1. I f*ckin love Dildo. She's got some crackin tunes and she's hot
    2. Like a bit of Genesis and his solo stuff so I'm down with that.
    3. Journey have now been made cool by 16-18 year olds on bebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

FAILED! Aerosmith are ****ing kick ****ing ass. And GNR? GNR are the coolest band in the history of cool. GNR rule.
    What next? Feckin ACDC? Led Zeppelin? If guns n roses and Aerosmith arent cool then who in the hell are cool?
    the Fonz?
    **** Fonzy.

While coolness is an indefinable quality, I can state with absolute certainty that neither Aerosmith nor G'n'R were cool.

Uncool: Extreme, Cool Song: More than Words :cool: :o

While coolness is an indefinable quality, I can state with absolute certainty that neither Aerosmith nor G'n'R were cool.

Uncool: Extreme, Cool Song: More than Words :cool: :o

HHmnnnn not a bad example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aerosmith - Dream On (Ignore the crappy video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJu-0eTUSU
    Not uncool - some cheesy songs but their lifestyles of rock n roll excess ensured they would never occupy the "uncool" category (whereas, for instance, Mike and the Mechanics are really disciplined and goody-two-shoes).
    Rick Astley - 'Never Gonna Give You Up' :cool:
    That's kind of a different thing - "songs you know are sh1t but you like".
    No way are Weezer uncool - they've got a "nerdy" image going on but it's kind of ironic.
    Billy Joel, not hip but some f his songs have great narratives - Piano Man in particular.
    Perfect example. Goodnight Saigon is absolute quality.
    Absolutely no way are Talking Heads or Kraftwerk uncool - seriously. Geeky, but definitely not uncool.
    They were never uncool.
    They're not really "uncool" in the Billy Joel sense, they're just sh1t. But I'm sure they have the odd catchy song.
    The Big "O" is definitely not uncool.
    Not a hope is her early stuff uncool. I would say her recent stuff is.
    Not uncool - their stuff pre 1986 was sh1t (apart from New Life and Everything Counts) but they weren't uncool in the Billy Joel sense.
    Phil Collins (arguably the king of "uncool"): "In the air tonight"- Drum solo FTW. :)
    Yes, perfect example. The Philster and Genesis have tons of great songs: The aforementioned In The Air Tonight, Mama, Turn it on Again, Land of Confusion, Invisible Touch, Take Me Home - quality.
    Also who could forget Journey (generally "uncool" band): "Don't stop believing"
    Very uncool band, but Don't Stop Believin' was recognised as a fantastic song long before all the hype last year.
    All the stuff that fits into the same category as Journey - late 70s/early 80s corporate rock like REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Air Supply, the term "uncool" was invented specifically for those acts...

I think a lot of power ballads rock. E.g. Alone and These Dreams by Heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'm certain i disagree.. not a massive fan of Aerosmith but G'n'R were a very cool band back in the 90's any band with Slash has to be cool. And i thought semisonic were a pretty good band my favourite song being "act naturally"

I agree with The Dudess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think this matches the thread defintion

Warning: Link Contains 100% Osmonds

Dig that Moog :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Wtf is "cool"?

I was thinking that myself :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Rigsby wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself :confused: :rolleyes:

If you were cool you'd understand. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Cool" isn't always easy to define, "uncool" is easier. Westlife are uncool - and that's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Neil Diamond all the way! :p Oodles of great songs in his early work, and his recent Rick Rubin produced album. And very uncool ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

See that collaboration proves that even the great RR can't work his magic on everybody...

Aerosmith are really, really, really uncool. Cool people are people that you just want to be. A cool person you would sell your mum to be for a week. A really cool person you would sell your kidney to be for 24 hours. So I'd sell Mum to be as cool as Johnny Cash was or my kidney to be as cool as Elvis in '56. Now I would happily sell any of my bodily organs NOT to be Billy Joel or Phil Collins (or Chris de Burgh for that matter).

Apart from "Walk this way" with Run DMC Aerosmith are not cool.

Back OT and another vote for Phil Collins, I grin every time I hear "Easy Lover". Not sure it's a cool song though...

Advertisement