Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Uncool' Musicians That Have Had Very Cool Songs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    ++

Cliff Richard - Wired for Sound
    Billy Joel - You May Be Right
    Andrew Gold - Lonely boy
    Heart - Alone
    Orson - No tomorrow
    Hall and Oates - fcuk it, pretty much all the hits.... ;)
    Such greats. Wired for Sound is pretty quality (what a vid! ;)), Lonely Boy - yeah, a good tune. One of the many soft rock/easy listening numbers released during those wasteland years between glam-rock and punk. Mostly horrific, but the odd gem could be found in there.

Hall and Oates - ah, absolute quality. I Can't Go For That and Private Eyes are just superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Wow, I agree 100% - it's a beautiful heartbreaking cover of that song.

I've got loads of these though:

"Biology" - Girls Aloud
    "Prayer For The Dying" - Seal
    "Romeo and Juliet" - Dire Straits
    "She's out of my life" - Michael Jackson
    "Temptation" - Wet Wet Wet

so many more

Ehh hang on for a moment, Girls Aloud.... GIRLS ALOUD???? Shame on you for mentioning them in this thread, and Seal is cool anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

eo980 wrote: »
    Ehh hang on for a moment, Girls Aloud.... GIRLS ALOUD???? Shame on you for mentioning them in this thread, and Seal is cool anyway.

Girls Aloud are just hot, so in a way they are the opposite of cool I suppose :p
    Agree about Hall and Oates though.

Roxy music/Brian Ferry- Jealous Guy, Love is the drug, More than this etc.
    Then again maybe they were a bit too cool for school to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From myself and the brother:

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
    Fightstar - Amethyst
    Billy Joel - Good Night Saigon / Captain Jack
    The Frames - Star, Star / Fitzcaraldo
    Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better (especially Radiohead's version)
    Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
    Janis Ian - Seventeen
    Coldplay - quite a few great songs!
    David Gray - L's Song / Debauchery
    Roy Orbison(Uncool?) - I Drove All Night
    KD Lang - Constant Craving

and the one I'll probably get slated for (and my brother disagrees with):

Paul Williams - the entire 'An Old Fashioned Love Song' album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Wtf is "cool"? If Aerosmith aren't "cool" then I don't think I wanna know what it is.

Ok now as cheesy as this definition is this is what I always took cool to mean.

Cool is when you are unashamadly(sc) yourself, exhibiting a complete lack of pretension or self correction to appeal to others.

GN'R were cool. Yes the big carricature top hat, yes the balladesk songs like Patience but the fact that Slash said something along the lines of "ok so it wasn't original but it was me" when commenting on the top hat allows him to get away with it because he isn't pretending that its some big fashion statement, he just thought it looked good and wore it. When they brought out Patience it didn't try to masqerade as a hard rock song, in the way for instance Poisins Every Rose Has Its Torn did, it was just a nice slow love song.

Collin Farrell on the other hand is not cool. Now he's a good bloke, I actually like him but runnning around putting on a working class accent and taling about drugs when he wants to sound cool and then ringing up his mam later and saying "Roish Mom, I think I will be back in Ireland on Sashurday nighsh" makes him uncool. Aerosmith employing song writers for thier comeback album also makes them uncool, now at one stage they actually were cool, but using song writers showed too much premeditation and desperation to please, so they became uncool.

So to sum up being cool is being yourself regardless of what peope think. The coolest peoplel I know get described by people as "yeah he doesn't give a sh1t" meaning he doesn't care what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, but Cliff Richard is unabashadly himself and he's still uncool. Cool is too useful a word to be properly defined; like art, you know it when you see it.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Don't like it but actually Boys of Summer and New York Minute by Don Henley are fantastic.

His cover of Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows is also pretty fantastic.
    Sleepy wrote: »

But that can't count because Radiohead are too cool for skewl. Or maybe it does because they're so self-conciously cool that they've come right out the other end of uncool. I dunno, I think I need to go lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't belive someone mentioned Roxy Music and uncool :( This is a sad thread.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

eo980 wrote: »

Seal is not cool.

Girls Aloud are also not cool - they're a manafactured girl group who should have never got past the first hurdle, however Biology is a great song as is Love Machine.

Arctic Monkeys covered that you know.

:)

slipss wrote: »
    Cool is when you are unashamadly(sc) yourself, exhibiting a complete lack of pretension or self correction to appeal to others.
    Agree with Earthhorse. Phil Collins is himself and by god is he uncool.
    mike65 wrote: »
    I can't belive someone mentioned Roxy Music and uncool :( This is a sad thread.
    Agreed. Tech77, bad boy! Although Brian Ferry has had his occasional cheesy moments.

Carly Simon's 80s stuff is uncool but I fuppin' adore Why and Coming Around Again.

Agreed. Tech77, bad boy! Although Brian Ferry has had his occasional cheesy moments.

TBH my "uncool" comment about Roxy Music refers more to how i thought they may have been perceived by others.
    But, as i said, even then, i did concede an uncertainy in my post about their exact "cool status" among others.

As for how i see them myself, i've always regarded their stuff as good though.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    From myself and the brother:

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
    Fightstar - Amethyst
    Billy Joel - Good Night Saigon / Captain Jack
    The Frames - Star, Star / Fitzcaraldo
    Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
    Janis Ian - Seventeen
    Coldplay - quite a few great songs!
    David Gray - L's Song / Debauchery
    Roy Orbison(Uncool?) - I Drove All Night
    KD Lang - Constant Craving

and the one I'll probably get slated for (and my brother disagrees with):

Paul Williams - the entire 'An Old Fashioned Love Song' album

+1 for KD Lang: Constant Craving.
    Quality song.
    +1 for Roy Orbison: Drove all night.

Chris Isaak (sp?): Wicked Game (again debatable whether the guy himself is cool i suppose).

Just thought of another fairly obvious one:

The Flying Pickets - Only You:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDKtLPp46s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's just come on VH1 Classic. Gloria Gaynor, "I will survive". CLiche, real guilty pleasure and ironic girly sing along. Ukkk

But the orchistration on the backing is brilliant. Robbie Williams nicked the best bit for one of his songs but it's got some cracking music on it. Horribly uncool but what a great song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pulp weren't exactly cool but they had some fantastic stuff. Disco 2000 and dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tech77 wrote: »
    Roy Orbison: "Mystery Girl".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Written by our own Bono and Edge :):cool:

And "The Big O" is among the coolest men to have even lived. And quite possibly the best singer ever in popular music :cool:

Disagree?Check out any of below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxoZEFoKlA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfIJgUvdP04
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGNNuns5Vs

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What about Talking heads? Are they considered uncool? I think they rule. Road to Nowhere for example.

My all-time favourite band, a bit geeky but definitely not uncool. That said, I'd consider Road to Nowhere to be one of their least cool songs.

Just a couple more:
    Frank Sinatra (not exactly hip today): A lot of stuff but especially The Summer Wind.
    Def Leppard: Animal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    1. I f*ckin love Dildo.

i'm sorry, I just had to Quote that.

spandau ballet true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ok - great songs by acts considered uncool by the music scribes. Many I would personally consider uncool, but not all! It's also hard to separate this sometimes from guilty pleasures!

Easy Lover - Phil Collins and Philip Bailey

Some People/Devil Woman/Cary - Cliff Richard

All I Ask of You - Cliff Richard and Sarah Brightman

Can't Stay Away from You (is that the title?) - Gloria Estefan

A Licence to Kill - Gladys Knight

Desparado/One of These Nights/New Kid in Town/Life in The Fast Lane/I Can't Tell You Why - The Eagles - there are others I like too but I would not describe them as earthshatteringly great.

The Boys of Summer/Dirty Laundry/ New York Minute - Don Henley

Sumggler's Blues - Glenn Frey

Is Joe Walsh considered uncool? : Life's Been Good.

Planet Earth - Duran Duran

Patience - Take That

Killer - Adamski (featuring Seal)

Crazy - Seal

Crazy Horses - The Osmonds

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - The Carpenters

Who's Crying Now - Journey: I think it's a far far superior tune to Don't Stop Believing - indeed I don't get the craze for the latter!

Anthing by Coldplay - I'm actually a fan of theirs!

Indeed, there are many tunes by Genesis I like.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Pulp weren't exactly cool but they had some fantastic stuff. Disco 2000 and dishes.
    Pulp were seriously cool. Having a geeky streak (which is usually fairly ironic) is not the same as being uncool.

Oh dear, people aren't getting the theme of this thread at all at all. Declan A. Walsh, with the exception of the criminally included Duran Duran, that's pretty spot-on. Although Gladys Knight isn't uncool either.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Pulp were seriously cool. Having a geeky streak (which is usually fairly ironic) is not the same as being uncool.

Oh dear, people aren't getting the theme of this thread at all at all. Declan A. Walsh, with the exception of the criminally included Duran Duran, that's pretty spot-on. Although Gladys Knight isn't uncool either.

Indeed Pulp were and still are 'cool', a poor call there.

What about Angry Anderson and Suddenly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlcISUtn_9o

It has a terrible history behind it, but a cool song.

Aw yeah! Quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I dunno though. I have no problem agreeing that Angry Anderson is uncool but is the song cool? I mean, I won't argue with you if you say it's a good song but is it really cool? Despite it's qualities I still think it's a bit naff.

Yeah, in my opinion, a better thread title would be "'Uncool' musicians that have very good songs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What about Twisted Sister? I wanna Rock is a savage song but I'm far too young to know if they were cool

What was I thinking, that was a moment of madness.

I'm interested to hear that people here are very decided about Coldplay being an uncool band.

I have to admit they are one of my favourite bands and i never really had them pegged as being decidedly uncool.
    I always thought it was just that there were Coldplay-lovers and Coldplay-haters (in the same kinda way U2 are loved or hated).
    So are Coldplay definitely uncool then?

You have to admit they have some great songs though:
    Clocks, Fix You, Trouble, Yellow, The Scientist.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yes but those songs, while they are good songs, are pretty uncool. I mean they are up there with Dido on the coolometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

so dolly parton, kenny rogers, roy orbison and weezer are uncool?

i'm goin' outside to burn my entire record collection!

• Advertisement

Roy Orbison and Weezer are not uncool - don't know where people are getting that idea from.

Kenny Rogers, however, is.

A lot of trendy types are "worshipping" Dolly Parton of late, but they're just idiots who are uncapable of spotting irony. Everyone knows Dolly Parton is sh1t. Granted, she has the odd ok number and she's a pretty admirable woman, but most of her songs are absolutely lame.

Advertisement