Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Uncool' Musicians That Have Had Very Cool Songs

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Gabrielle- Out of Reach, Give me a little more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

funktastic wrote: »
    Cast –Walkaway

Since when are Cast uncool?

The bones of The La's, they had many great songs...Sandstorm, Finetime, Free Me, Alright.....

Check out "Tell it like it is" from first album....amazing tune.

Uncool me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Since when are Cast uncool?

The bones of The La's, they had many great songs...Sandstorm, Finetime, Free Me, Alright.....

Check out "Tell it like it is" from first album....amazing tune.

Uncool me arse

A few decent tunes perhaps, but most definitely uncool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Delfonics- get ready(here i come).
    Soviet marching band- The volga boatman song.
    Sasha distell- I need your love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

tech77 wrote: »
    Deacon Blue- Fergie sings the Blues.

They also gave us King Of Rock N Roll and Dignity. So a very cool band imho.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Delfonics- get ready(here i come).

How is the name of sweet baby alabama rock were The Delfonics uncool? :confused:

Spice Girls "Mama"

Top that!

:D

snyper wrote: »
    "The wonder of you" - by that evil rascist antichrist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyrQqmc5UT8

Ive read a fair bit about Elvis, none of it ever mentioned him been evil or rascist. Have you a link to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spice Girls "Mama"

Top that!

:D

'Viva Forever' FTW! :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Anyone who thinks Elvis is uncool is very very misguided.
    Its Frigging Elvis for Frig sake. The friggin king of cool..
    How many people on here dont know anything about music? Feckin Beatles in AH and now this.
    *wonders off grumbling about how everything was better in the seventies*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Iris- goo goo dolls

and

since youv been gone-kelly clarkson

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How is the name of sweet baby alabama rock were The Delfonics uncool? :confused:
    You've gotta put them in the context of the time they were big and they were an uncool band. Sure time has been healthy to them.
    Anyway moving on. R.E.M, way off the scale uncool and were never cool. If you think they were cool back in mid 80's you're wrong,they weren't. However they do have some good tunes and i'd even go as far as to say maybe even an album or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ive read a fair bit about Elvis, none of it ever mentioned him been evil or rascist. Have you a link to back this up?

If Chuck says so, it must be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Kraftwerk... Autobahn.
    Kraftwerk are the height of cool, I'm afraid. Anyone who can reply with one word to Chris Martin and still leave the guy amazed (for the record, I dislike him) and also stretch the word ''Spacelab'' into a 5 minute long epic is cool, imo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kraftwerk are the height of cool,

++

Outside of whether or not they are cool (I concur), they must be in the top 10 of most name dropped bands ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Neil Diamond has been mentioned but I thought I would throw in him singing 'Solitary Man' - spectacular :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW2M2hquNw

Also, the cream of cheese, Boney M :D Rasputin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Green Day - Warning
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

take that , rule the world

robbie williams has never had as good a song as take thats new ones

patience wasnt that bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep by Middle of the road!

Always gives me the uncontrollable urge to dance like me mam!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was watching an episode of Life on Mars the other day and the song below came on. I'd never have thought of the strawbs as cool but this song is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World
    Tina Turner - We Dont Need Another Hero
    Duran Duran - A View To A Kill
    Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight (that mental drum fill bit!)
    Lionel Richie - You Are My Destiny
    Neil Diamond - Forever In Blue Jeans
    Foreigner - Cold As Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

humberklog wrote: »
    Anyway moving on. R.E.M, way off the scale uncool and were never cool. If you think they were cool back in mid 80's you're wrong,they weren't. However they do have some good tunes and i'd even go as far as to say maybe even an album or two.

Oh come on, how are R.E.M. "way off the scale uncool"? I've always thought Peter Buck was cool as f***. Mike Mills on the other hand...

Anyway, Joni Mitchell anyone? I've had people laugh at me for liking her but she has written some incredible songs.
    The Monkees - they may have been the first "manufactured" band but they did have "Last Train To Clarksville", "I'm A Believer" and "Not Your Stepping Stone".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Dudess wrote: »
    +1. People are confusing geeky/nerdy with uncool.

Geeky/nerdy: Weezer, Talking Heads, Kraftwerk, Hot Chip, Pulp, Eels.

Uncool: Phil Collins, Mike & The Mechanics, Cliff Richard, Sting.

Actually, some Sting songs are great - Shape Of My Heart and The Russians are fantastic.

Sting is cool, he knows what he's about. Agree with you on Cliff Richards though, he is uncool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sade used to try over-hard to be cool, thus failing.
    'By your side' is a class song though.

For those of my vintage, there's always Gilbert O'Sullivan, who wrote some really good songs. Nothing Rhymes.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

I'm certain i disagree.. not a massive fan of Aerosmith but G'n'R were a very cool band back in the 90's any band with Slash has to be cool. And i thought semisonic were a pretty good band my favourite song being "act naturally"

I agree with The Dudess
    i never liked guns n roses because on any video or anything i ever saw them on, it always looked to me like they always tried to hard to look cool. Don't ask for specifics - that was just the impression i always got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

What about Talking heads? Are they considered uncool? I think they rule. Road to Nowhere for example.
    or Kraftwerk... Autobahn.

Are you crazy? Two of the most influential bands of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I don't think Spandau Ballet were ever cool. Nor will they be. I will, however, fight to the death anybody who disses the song 'Gold'.

True, IMNSHO sucks balls, but how, if you've functioning lungs and vocal chords, can anybody fight the urge to sing along with Gold!

lemme see - what else.

Were 'All Saints' cool? I know they thought they were, but cargo pants to not coolness define. Pure Shores is a savage song.

I don't think Bryan Adams has troubled the 'what's cool' lists in quite some time. I've two for him - 'Back to you' from some unplugged thing he did, and the duet he did with Mel C

Crowded House were never 'cool' - wrongly dissed by (the clueless) many as being music for people who drove Ford Mondeos. What utter rot. Exhibit A will be 'It's Only Natural' cos I'm a sucker for that close harmony stuff, but frankly, I'd be going into double letters to list all the exhibits for this particular band!

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running. If you're going to have wailing harmonica, do it like that!

Paul McCartney. FORGET THE BEATLES. As a solo performer he was never really cool. If i had to pick one track...I'd go for 'No More Lonely Nights'. It's a belter, although he cheats by using the same chord sequence as he did on 'Here There and Everywhere'. On the other hand, he got Dave Gilmour to do the guitar solo...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music for a Found Harmonium. Definetly a band that could never be called cool but this is certainly a cool little piece of music:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Coldplay , Oasis , Killers all have very good songs :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement