Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true?

• 21-02-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

A mate of mine has asked me to join the RDF with him as he made a promise to join with a relation of his (who is trying to straigthen himself out after battling with addiction). My mate wants some company as hes 28 and relation is 18 so he's thinkin he'll be a bit like a fish out of water. I would be interested in joining but have a few questions.

Can someone whos in the RDF give me an idea of the age distribution for a unit as in is it 90% of people under 20 and the NCO's and up are older. How well are NFG's received esp older NFG's?

I also have some reservations about the medical too coz I think Id end up failing that. My eyesight is pretty bad and Im useless without glasses plus Im asthmatic so Im sure thats a tick against me.

I heard from someone a while back that the RDF now get paid. Is it true or was someone jsut pulling my let?

It could all be a moot point though, my mates relation is off heavy stuff for about 6months now but I think hes still smokin the ganja and I think that is going to prevent him from passing a medical.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

PDD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

A mate of mine has asked me to join the RDF with him as he made a promise to join with a relation of his (who is trying to straigthen himself out after battling with addiction). My mate wants some company as hes 28 and relation is 18 so he's thinkin he'll be a bit like a fish out of water. I would be interested in joining but have a few questions.

Can someone whos in the RDF give me an idea of the age distribution for a unit as in is it 90% of people under 20 and the NCO's and up are older. How well are NFG's received esp older NFG's?

I also have some reservations about the medical too coz I think Id end up failing that. My eyesight is pretty bad and Im useless without glasses plus Im asthmatic so Im sure thats a tick against me.

I heard from someone a while back that the RDF now get paid. Is it true or was someone jsut pulling my let?

It could all be a moot point though, my mates relation is off heavy stuff for about 6months now but I think hes still smokin the ganja and I think that is going to prevent him from passing a medical.
    Dave

First thing last, I think your relation (is that like a friend, of a friend, of a friend ;) ) will be lucky to pass the drug test if he was a heavy user.

To be honest, the whole thing sounds dodgy as heck but hey chance your arm if ya want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

If he's smoking that **** then the Defence Forces doesn't want nor does it need him.Simple as that IMO.If you are using drugs then you have to question as to why your joining the RDF.Anyone who sees drug use as morally right or anything like that shouldn't be trying to join DF...then again if he changes and decides to give it up for life he could go for it.

Age doesn't matter a bit.I'm 17 and the rest of my fellow recruits range from 17-29.If you are an open sort of person who can get along with people and enjoy banter you'll fit in fine!

The medical isn't too stringent regarding eyesight..as for asthmha I'm not sure.

Yes the RDF get paid..maybe 1800-2000euro a year.Check out www.rdfra.ie for pay rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Those suffering from asthma are unsuitable for military training. And sufferers are immediately failed in their medicals, at least now they are.

Advertisement