Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

91 merc 1.8 auto

Options
  • 21-02-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

what do you think, fuel economy, realibility, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I had a c180 94 1.8 auto, not sure if yours is a 190e or c180 , however engines would be similar. Expect around 30 to 35 at best (depending how well car is tuned) However these cars if they have been cared for are bulletproof and totally reliable. I would however stress that there are a lot of worn out ones out there, so if you get a well cared for one with a reasonable mileage , you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It would be a bad idea to blow the bank on buying it.

If you were prepared to spend more buying another car but you like it, provided you were in a position to mind it and fix it as problems arise AND you aren't doing high mileage- I'd do it. A bit of nursing along is probably as bad as it gets if it has been wel minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good buy if sound. The 190e is a solid brick (the w124 e class shares all the underpinnings which should be good enough for you), the Merc 4 speed autobox is good and smooth (if its not suspect old fluid and change it). The 91 year models came with a smaller steering wheel, ABS and the "taxi" consol which looks a lot nicer.

Is it on carzone per chance?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Just an opinion...

Too old to be reliable, cc too small (especially as an auto) for decent performance or economy, could probably be got for hundreds and if it has an NCT and you could put up with this not working and that falling off etc. you could drive it into the ground without having to wash it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Oilrig wrote: »
    Too old to be reliable,

Nonsense. If looked after properly, the 190E (especially the diesel models) is FAR better in terms of reliability than any of the modern less-reliable Merc's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »

Is it on carzone per chance?

Mike.

Thinking of gazumping him Mike? Thought you'd moved on for that phase of your life? :D

Heh, I checked and its not listed :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

mike i am going to look at it in the morning, if i do not like it or the money is 2 big i will pm you, its tested until nov. asking 750,

Ah no I'm not going back to 190s (unless I find a Cosworth model for peanuts)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah no I'm not going back to 190s (unless I find a Cosworth model for peanuts)

Mike.
    Back to the 1990s maybe? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

bought it today, 2 owners from new, 1st guy had it until 2006, then passed it on to a sibling, new exaust systm last year, milage is 104,000 and nct certs verify this, no dings or scratches, almost mint, the only bother i have with it is, when i arrived the 2 front door windows were down, also the skylight was open, and i will not torment ye with the cash amount that i gave for it cant say happy days yet, hopefully they are coming

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Good luck with the 190E - had a '93 1.8 manual - one of the best and solid cars I ever had - always had regrets about selling it - great car !

Well so long as the windows closed and the roof slid back into place :)

Now you have the car head over to www.mercedes190.co.uk and they can put you straight on anything and where to source parts etc.

Mike.

Advertisement