Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why not permit a left turn on a red light if there is no traffic coming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I was thinking there earlier while stuck in traffic, that it would be a great idea to introduce the system like they have in America, to turn left at a red light provided the way is clear. It seems to work well over in the States, and it would definitely reduce the amount of traffic on the roads. .
    It certainly works well in the USA, part of the deal is that motorists must give way to pedestrians in the junction they are turning into, which, to my surprise, they did, even the taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

threads merged

happy ?

Don't do that again with a two months old thread (that's like bronze-age on the motors forum timeline :D) or I'll have you for backseat modding, ok ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

peasant wrote: »
    threads merged

happy ?
    Ecstatic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

chris85 wrote: »
    One more thing I would like was if ALL traffic lights went amber just before turning green so traffic would be ready to go when light goes green. Works well up north

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

chris85 wrote:
    One more thing I would like was if ALL traffic lights went amber just before turning green so traffic would be ready to go when light goes green. Works well up north
    Not down here, just like the flashing pelican lights idiots down here will treat it like a license to put the boot down if the coast is clear :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I personally don't think left on red would work in Ireland. Many Irish drivers have so little for red lights as it is, to tell them it is ok to ignore them sometimes would be a bad thing to do.

Additionally, as other have pointed out, we have a lot more footpaths and therefore more road / path junctions. This raises an additional problem, protection of pedestrians crossing the road.

I think rather than left on red they should just make the "left with caution" flashing amber more wide spread. This would allow a red light, which should not be passed by the way folks, to allow a safe crossing period while the green man is on. At other times the light could be flashing amber allowing cars to turn left when safe.

As for amber beofre green? That would be carnage. I would love to see it. Nothing give me more pleasure than seeing a red light runner getting t-boned, but there would be so many accidents. Besides, I heard a guy from the council years ago saying they would never do it for this reason. Besides, it would speed traffic up. Do they not have a policy of trying to slow it down?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

MrPudding wrote: »
    As for amber beofre green? That would be carnage. I would love to see it. Nothing give me more pleasure than seeing a red light runner getting t-boned, but there would be so many accidents. Besides, I heard a guy from the council years ago saying they would never do it for this reason. Besides, it would speed traffic up. Do they not have a policy of trying to slow it down?

Amber before green improves traffic flow, it doesn't speed traffic up. You can actually improve flow and slow traffic at the same time...counterintuitive thought it may sound.

As for any problems with pedestrian crossings, I advocate the Swiss approach. If a driver is caught not giving pedestrians right of way when he should (and most ped.crossings here don't have lights at all), then he loses his license for a period of time.

Of course, as with all things, such measures are only effective when the traffic laws are policed. Until Ireland learns that nugget, any hope for improvement is little more than wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

It does work well in the states, but given that most Irish drivers are incapable of turnig right on a full green light even when there is no oncoming traffic, I couldn't see it working here and would only add to the fustration of drivers who would be aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

WHITE_P wrote: »
    It does work well in the states, but given that most Irish drivers are incapable of turnig right on a full green light even when there is no oncoming traffic, I couldn't see it working here and would only add to the fustration of drivers who would be aware of it.
    The other option is a flashing red light with an arrow on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont think it would work here given some of the atrocious standards of driving we see in ireland.

I wonder how many times we would pick up the paper to hear of someone mowed down cos a driver failed to slow down while approaching the red light to turn left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dirty-Old-Man

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I was thinking there earlier while stuck in traffic, that it would be a great idea to introduce the system like they have in America, to turn left at a red light provided the way is clear. It seems to work well over in the States, and it would definitely reduce the amount of traffic on the roads.

I think an e-mail to the department of transport is in order now.

And for the first month of operation, put armed Gardai beside the lights with orders to shoot anyone running the red light or turning in front of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I got hit by a taxi in San Francisco because I had a "Green Man" but he did not see that he just turned right and hit me. The f**cker drove off as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

The other option is a flashing red light with an arrow on it.

Most of them are confused enough already, I think this would overload their poor little brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I've seen it work quite well in the US, and I drove through many parts of it and had an hour each-way commute for 9 months! However, it would require Irish drivers to be fully informed about the change and also the current rules, many are completely ignorant on how to use a roundabout or take off from the lights in time without holding everyone up for 20 seconds.

A total change in the driving culture would be required, and that is something that is not going to happen overnight. It works in the US because everyone has been doing it since their driver-ed classes in High school, another issue I think needs to be addressed in the road safety debate.

astraboy wrote: »
    IIt works in the US because everyone has been doing it since their driver-ed classes in High school
    Or maybe because some pedestrians carry guns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Or maybe because some pedestrians carry guns!

Good point! The drivers carry them in their glovebox though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bonkey wrote: »
    Amber before green improves traffic flow, it doesn't speed traffic up. You can actually improve flow and slow traffic at the same time...counterintuitive thought it may sound.
    I understand what you mean.... I was not making a distinction between the two, I don't think DCC do either.
    As for any problems with pedestrian crossings, I advocate the Swiss approach. If a driver is caught not giving pedestrians right of way when he should (and most ped.crossings here don't have lights at all), then he loses his license for a period of time.
    Sometimes I think the Swiss go a bit too far..... But I think this is OK.
    Of course, as with all things, such measures are only effective when the traffic laws are policed. Until Ireland learns that nugget, any hope for improvement is little more than wishful thinking.
    And here we have it. I hate it when people are screaming for new laws to curb this and combat that. How about a bit of enforcement of the existing laws and see where that gets us.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Sometimes I think the Swiss go a bit too far..... But I think this is OK.
    It's been a few years since I drove i Switzerland, but I always thought it very sensible the way traffic lights on main roads were switched to flashing amber (in all directions) in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Cormic wrote: »
    I got hit by a taxi in San Francisco because I had a "Green Man" but he did not see that he just turned right and hit me. The f**cker drove off as well.

+1

When I lived in the US, jumping out of the way of cars 'giving way to pedestrians while turning right on red' was almost a daily occurrence. With driving as bad as it is here anyway, I wouldn't be for giving bad drivers yet another reason to whack pedestrians down, zebra crossings are enough.

Advertisement