Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

used bmw value

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Thinking of buying a 2006 520d auto. What would be a fair price bearing in mind price fall coming shortly etc. Lots now on the market as people are flogging them to buy new under the new system.

520d se auto with sat nav. 37000 miles with service inclusive to 62000 miles.

listed as 65000 new.
    Allowing 15000 for 2 years depreciation, and about 5000 for price reduction and also the fact that it will be more expensive to tax than newly imported one (although not such an issue on the auto) Im thinking 43000 is the most I would pay. Main dealer looking for 49000!

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mickdw wrote: »
    Hi

Thinking of buying a 2006 520d auto. What would be a fair price bearing in mind price fall coming shortly etc. Lots now on the market as people are flogging them to buy new under the new system.

520d se auto with sat nav. 37000 miles with service inclusive to 62000 miles.

listed as 65000 new.
    Allowing 15000 for 2 years depreciation, and about 5000 for price reduction and also the fact that it will be more expensive to tax than newly imported one (although not such an issue on the auto) Im thinking 43000 is the most I would pay. Main dealer looking for 49000!

Comments?

There's a few on carzone to be had for that sort of money alright if you're not too hung up on traveling/driving a car on a plate from other than where you live. You wouldn't be buying a 'BMW Approved Used Car' but if you get the car checked out by the likes of the AA & cartell then that shouldn't be that much of an issue. Personally I'd tend to be cautious over the very cheapest ones advertised - they're cheap for a reason. Could always be a legit reason though but best to be cautious - e.g. could be looking for a quick sale or it's about all they'd get on a trade in (so if they sell privately can at least go in to dealers as cash buyers against a new car).

Stretch your budget a little and you could even get an M Sport.

EDIT: Have you looked into importing from uk/ni ? Might be some money to be saved in doing so - or you might be able to that that BMW Approved car within your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

zing wrote: »
    Have you looked into importing from uk/ni ? Might be some money to be saved in doing so - or you might be able to that that BMW Approved car within your budget.

+1 plus, you will benefit from the new car tax rules if you do so after June/July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Why not buy from Bavaria in Belfast (v.good) or any bmw dealer in the uk and get the warranty transferred to BMW ireland. I've heard of this happening and it would allow you to get the car at a good price, probably higher spec, with a bmw warranty and low tax/vrt if you do it in July. This is my plan anyway.

Personally I wouldn't buy a bmw diesel without at least a 1yr iron clad warranty. When these engines are good they're very good but when they're bad.....you don't wanna kno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

520ds without ED(which is basically any 520d before 08) aren't really that good though for CO2. A 520d manual without ED is 158 g/km CO2, so 24% VRT on that. By comparison a 525d or 530d with ED(any facelifted current type 5 series has ED bar the 07 520ds) is also in 24% VRT with a manual gearbox, and the low emissions versions of those engines have been around since last April(i.e. any facelift model).

Any Automatic 520d without ED, and any 6 cylinder petrol(both manual and Automatic)(namely 523i,525i, 530i) or 6 cylinder diesel Auto(i.e. 525d,530d and 535d) all fall into the 28% VRT category. The 520d Auto without EfficientDynamics pollutes 185 g/km, by comparison even the worst 6 cylinder petrol with ED, namely the 530i with a manual gearbox, pollutes 182 g/km.

I think any 520d for sale at the moment is seriously overpriced. A post July 520d with ED will cost up to close on 25% of what a 520d presently costs for taxing, and a new manual one will be yours from €46,190 according to their MD in July.

If you want to import an Auto 5 series, get an ED model after July and you can bring in either a 530i or 535d and both will be €600 to tax a year, only €10 more than any 520d out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have an 06 520d M-Sport Auto which I will be selling soon - so I think 60k would be fair! Seriously I would imagine mid 40's for private sale would be about right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 watchingcivilse

I have an 06D 530i (yes i not d!!) auto, carbon black fully loaded, even got M5 Wheels and not the standard M Pack, Any idea how much its worth? None listed on carzone etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

No more than a 520d I'm afraid.

Definitely less than what 530ds go for.

Ironically the 530i is one of the biggest beneficiaries in terms of road taxing under the new VRT scheme, only €600 for any 08 530i(the same as a 523i, 525i, and automatic 525d/530d).

All 520ds are seriously overpriced at the moment. We're not even 5 months away to when a brand new one will be €46,190(manual gearbox though).

I think anything else in the 5 series range will be very bad value for money in July though as a new car. They're only dropping in price by a small bit, while the 520d is going down by at least 8k for a manual, and that's before you start putting in options into one.

Used though, only €310 road tax more for a 535d or a 530i than a 520d auto(compared to a €700 premium now, and once people get CO2 into their heads, the engine size mentality will disappear so hopefully the 6 pot models will be a lot more desirable on the used car market than they are now) will mean that they will be much better value than a 520d(as well as having much better 6 cylinder noise, a load more power, and only a small mpg penalty too).

Advertisement