Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marksquirt

I've just arranged for the snag to be on Friday! :D
    We've to be out of the house we're renting by the 30th but I spoke to Tom this afternoon and he said it'll be ready for us. We're on the terrace. Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kia07

Thats great they'll have it ready for you, we had nothing major on snag, just small bit's n' pieces. Best of luck on friday:)

We are on the cresent, when you drive into estate as it is now we are at the last houses you can access, its still muck and machinery everywhere:eek:

Yeah I've been down your road a few times lately as the best view of my house is from your road! Snagging tomorrow morning, hopefully it'll only be minor bits and pieces! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lmd

Good luck marksquirt! There shouldnt be too much on the snag list.
    In relation to our tv service problem, i should be getting call on update from NTL. Apparently there has been some progress... I will let you all know as soon as I hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paddyred9

Hi LMD,

I ended up getting sky in,
    After a long run around i was assured there is no way to get ntl in to our estate as the proper infrasructure hasn't been put in! you can only use www.broadworks.ie for cable service.

If you're getting sky you're not supposed to have the dish at the front of your house (if they're strict on it) and the signal is south east Roughly as the crow flies thats from the entrance to the estate towards clonsilla train station.

Just a heads up before you spend the next two weeks waiting for the same answer i got :(

• Advertisement

Thanks paddyred! I'm confused now as to what NTL meant this morning. I dont know why they havent said that reason to me by now. Im going mad because i had ordered sky weeks ago and was given a installation date (within a week) and i cancelled it. They are going to laugh at me now reordering!! I moved in there officially tues nite and need cable badly!
    Im not sure if that management co. is that strict on dishes at front of house as i saw at least 5 in a row in one of the estates before the Green!
    On another note completely different... has anyone seen the walkway to the green ever opened? for the last two mornings ive been missing buses because i have to walk all around the estate to get out! I contacted Dublin Bus about getting bus stops near to us, havent heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paddyred9

you're on the green too?

I'm moving in tomorrow night but I havn't seen the fence open. I live in the 4 bed on the corner across from it so i'll keep an eye out.

As you're driving up the green towards that entrance the signal is roughly to the right so thats the direction your dish needs to face.

I got alot of different answers from NTL before I finally found out through them and through Ciara that we cant.

Thanks IMD. I'm going to put a call into the guy in the competition authority aswell as he hasn't emailed me back.

Yeah im on the green, just a few doors up from you!!! The blue door!
    Good luck with the move, ! I wont be back til late tomorrow as im in tax class but sure i'll pop in to say hello saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ghusk

Hiya LMD,
    I know that the gate isn't officially open but I have seen people getting through it most evenings, so you should have a wander up when you get home and try it!
    LMD the signal will be at the back of your house so you don't need to worry about the dish being on the front! Just order it and tell them that you need it asap, we got it in monday and had only ordered it on the Tuesday before.
    Good luck to all those snagging and signing this week and also to those moving in!
    Don't bother to wash your cars as they will be dirty again the next day!

• Advertisement

The Authority has received a large number of complaints on this general issue, and is currently assessing these complaints, both in general and specific terms. A number of cross-cutting issues arise, relating to, amongst other things, the roles of developers, management companies and TV service providers. We hope to conclude this assessment in the coming months. I will add the details of your complaint to the file we are working on and will revert to you once our analysis is complete.
    In the meantime, you may find the following items of interest:
    The National Consumer Agency recently launched a website dedicated to consumer issues regarding apartment developments and housing estates -
    www.consumerproperty.ie This website provides detailed information on the roles and repsonsibilities of managing agents, management companies, developers and residents.
    Although the specific terms vary from development to development, management companies are generally initially vested in the developer and are later transferred to the residents, often when the last unit is sold.
    Once the management company is vested in the residents, you may be in a better position to change TV provider.
    The Planning and Development Regulations 2001 exempt satellite dishes from the requirement to seek planning permission where certain conditions, listed at page 157 of the Regulations. The Regulations can be accessed online at
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,8797,en.pdf
    The European Commission has also in the past issued a Communication affirming the right to use a satellite dish without undue technical, administrative, urban planning or tax obstacles. This right flows from the free movement of goods and services. This communication is available online at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2001:0351:FIN:EN:PDF

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a matter of interest, if you put a Sky dish on the front of your house what can the management company do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zaph wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, if you put a Sky dish on the front of your house what can the management company do about it?

It's a violation of your management agreement, including to alter the front of the house, including painting and changing the planting etc.

I have not head of anyone been reprimanded over yet, but it could be something down the road to go after you if you decided not to pay the management fees. But so far that is just a theory, but remember you have signed a valid contract

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, I understand that a contract would have been signed, but what I was wondering is what could the management company actually do about it? I'm assuming the clause is purely based on aesthetics, so have they the right to remove the dish? Could they sue? Could you actually just tell them to f*** off because they're only a company and don't have legal enforcement rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They can tell you what you can and can not plant in your garden ?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They can tell you what you can and can not plant in your garden ?

For the rest of Ongar the planted area, usually if front of the two main windows is not yours its in the management of the management company. If they do have a garden then that maybe a different story.

Zaph wrote: »

The management company have a legal right to enforce the removal of the dish from the front of the house.
    In Westend Village beside the Blanch SC the management company told all the residents that all dishes or aerials had to be removed within a week. Anyone that either didn't remove them or put them back up are now being charged a fine of up to €70 per week.
    We all signed a legal document that says we will abide by the terms of the management company. We are not arguing the contract we are just pi**ed off that we were not informed that we would not have the option of going with NTL. Hopefully the Broadworks contract will only be in place for 12 months as NTL seem willing to install an infrastructure so that we can avail of their services.

In relation to the contract not allowing people to change the front facade of the house, this also includes the 'garden' planted areas in front of the houses. The reasoning behind this is that if the astectics of the estate are being maintained by the management company, we won't find ourselves in a situation where the majority of people maintain the garden but there are one or two houses that do not, bringing the astectics of the whole road down. It is to our benefit and the cost of the management company fees are not hugely excessive.

Snag is done. Very little to be done. Only major issue is the front door which as recommended should be replaced.
    Hopefully it won't take too long to sort! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I live in Ongar Village and I'm in the newer development area with only TV option of Broadworks. The management company, agent is Wallace Management. Same builders as Barnwell (AFAIK Wallace Management basically is Manor Park)

Nearly every dwelling who has Broadworks only option has a Sky, Lidl FTA dish installed on their front, side, wall. There has never in the 4 yrs I have lived in Ongar been any mention from Wallace Management or the ORAC, an objection to these satellite dishes.
    NTL have tried to get into the area but can't due to the exclusive deal with Broadworks.

ongarite wrote: »
    There has never in the 4 yrs I have lived in Ongar been any mention from Wallace Management or the ORAC or objection to these satellite dishes.

Very true I have not seen any action take either, but that does not mean down the road they can't either. But I suspect the probable wont, unless the are constant arrears in fee or other major violation of the contract

• Advertisement

Should be going in to do my second snag in the morning and then signing off on Mon/Tues! The excitement is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 31 duran

Hey Marksquirt,

did you say your house was on barnwell terrace? are you moving in straight away ? i had a look there the other day and it looks inaccessible.

Road is being laid today and house will be accesible by the end of the week. Just waiting on a couple of certs from builders soliciotr before signing but should be in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 31 duran

thanks for that! best of luck with everything neighbour!

Well guys we got the keys on Friday ang started moving the bits in over the weekend! Waiting on the electricity to be switched on. Hoping to move in by the weekend. Place is literally still a building site though :D

Congrats marksquirt on the new home, wishing ye many happy years there:)

Well we did our final inspection of snag on saturday, still a few bits to be done so waiting on john to call me during the week about it. Just wondering was everyones back garden landscaped before you got your keys or is it in contract to be done later??

Hope everyone is well either settling into their new homes or getting set to do so:)

Kia07 wrote: »
    Just wondering was everyones back garden landscaped before you got your keys or is it in contract to be done later??

If you mean by the above if the garden was seeded, then yes it was, but if you mean properly landscaped, then that is not included in the contract as part of the agreement.

I was talking in regard to having it seeded and a tidy up, john told us this wouldn't be done before moving in and would be in contract to be done later on, just i dont fancy having all that done after we go in, we'll have our floors ect down and dont fancy muck/mess coming through the house as we are a terraced so no side entrance.

Kia07 wrote: »
    I was talking in regard to having it seeded and a tidy up, john told us this wouldn't be done before moving in and would be in contract to be done later on, just i dont fancy having all that done after we go in, we'll have our floors ect down and dont fancy muck/mess coming through the house as we are a terraced so no side entrance.

When we moved in, it was 'seeded' but it had to be redone and still isn't great due to the weather as it is a terrible time of year to lay seed!
    There shouldn't be a mess as all they seem to do is just come in with a box of seeds and sprinkle them around the area. We were told that the garden was levelled, but it looks exactly the same to me!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Good luck to all those moving in in the coming weeks!

Just wondering has anyone had any issues with their outside drainage as we had a major emergency on Sunday and had to get Dyno Rod out to try and clear the drains as they flooded the back garden with unplesentness!
    DynoRod guy couldn't figure out where the waste was supposed to go to as he couldn't get the hose in properly and then nearly broke the hose trying to get it out, so he thinks that we have broken pipes or pipes that aren't connected properly.
    Spoke to site office about it, but although they went in to have a look, I haven't yet recieved any feedback about it.
    Is it just us or are others discovering the same issue?

Advertisement