Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Myself and the girlfriend are looking to purchase around the D15 area so if anyone has any opinions (good, bad, or indifferent) about the Barnwell/Castlegrange areas they'd care to share, I'd greatly appreciate it, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

Been in Barnwell since Oct. All going good. Nothing major to report generally a good place to live have had no problems touch wood.

Whats the commute like from barnwell into town, by car?

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Whats the commute like from barnwell into town, by car?

All depends on the time really and the traffic takes my gf about 35min in the morning.

Cheers DCTF, I assume your gf leaves around 7 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 skidude

Hi there, just wondering is anyone buying barnwell way? any idea when this part of the development is due for completion. also what is planned for the back of it i.e. to the back of 2-16. thank you.

Cheers DCTF, I assume your gf leaves around 7 or so?

about half past +/- really but it ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kia07

Morning folks,
    just wondering does anyone know if its green bin day today, was away last 2 weeks so not sure where i am with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ghusk

Hiya,

The green bin is dut to be collected today, but it is not normally collected until late afternoon, early evening. Best to put it out early though as you can never be sure what time they'll arrive at!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 skidude

hi there,

i've been up to barnwell a few times and notice that they have not done anything in the last few months. have they stopped building completely? it looks like the playground is still not finished either. am looking to buy up there but don't want to move into a buidling site.

many thanks.

• Advertisement

skidude wrote: »
    hi there,

i've been up to barnwell a few times and notice that they have not done anything in the last few months. have they stopped building completely? it looks like the playground is still not finished either. am looking to buy up there but don't want to move into a buidling site.

many thanks.

They've stopped building the phase 2 houses and just completed whatever was to this site of the official entrance off the roundabout. The work is currently ongoing for the new train station as we speak. The builders are laying footpaths and completing other areas at the moment. The path down to the playground is just being laid and the landscaping done around that general area.

Manor Park own all of the land the Barnwell side of the road all the way back as far as St. josephs hospital nearly.

Does anyone know what areas of the barnwell development have been earmarked under the social/affordable housing schemes? Also, where exactly is the new train station going to be?
    Our solicitor has enquired the same from the builders solicitors but to no avail. I cant imagine either being a deal breaker (unless of course the trains run through the living room :-) ) but the other solicitors reluctance is annoying.
    I have tried to get the floor measurements from the estate agents but they weren't given them apparently, has anyone any idea where to get them? The contact details on the developers website just directs you to the estate agents. Perhaps I'll be allowed to measure the showhouse?
    Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know what areas of the barnwell development have been earmarked under the social/affordable housing schemes? Also, where exactly is the new train station going to be?
    Our solicitor has enquired the same from the builders solicitors but to no avail. I cant imagine either being a deal breaker (unless of course the trains run through the living room :-) ) but the other solicitors reluctance is annoying.
    I have tried to get the floor measurements from the estate agents but they weren't given them apparently, has anyone any idea where to get them? The contact details on the developers website just directs you to the estate agents. Perhaps I'll be allowed to measure the showhouse?
    Any and all help greatly appreciated.

The estate agents don't give out room measurements because of a previous instance where someone tried to take legal action because the internal walls weren't exactly as on the spec sheet. Everyone I know including myself was allowed to measure the show house and then measure our own home closer to the finishing time for flooring etc.

The train station can be seen when you enter the barnwell estate where you turn left at the wooden fence after coming in off the roundabout their working on it daily. If when your making the left turn you look over to your 2 o'clock you'll see the concrete structure and a crane working away. You'll access the station and the completed Barnwell site from the previous roundabout than you do now.

As for affordable housing I don't know I never saw any of it advertised as affordable at the time they were the cheapest houses in Dublin 15 for 10 years or something if I remember reading the property sections of the newspapers. The developer has got the option to not have affordable housing included in the development on certain grounds this could possible be the case.

Cheers for all your help DCTF, We hope to be moved in by the end of July if not sooner - now where did I leave my measuring tape....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 oonions

Hi all,
    Im new to Barnwell so it was great to find this board.
    Just wondering - is there a difference between the "service fee" and the "management fee"? Im either v lucky and my management fee is lower than expected or more likely there is just an extra fee that I wasnt expecting!

oonions wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im new to Barnwell so it was great to find this board.
    Just wondering - is there a difference between the "service fee" and the "management fee"? Im either v lucky and my management fee is lower than expected or more likely there is just an extra fee that I wasnt expecting!

The management fees should be around 360ish I think can't exactly remember however a lot of people seem to be not intending paying them next year due to the road and street lighting not being finished and are hoping not to pay until all the services are provided and up and running. We moved in last september and they only started cutting grass about 6 weeks ago before that we were doing it ourselves.

I know it's not necessarily your job but just wondering if people would consider having a look around outside their houses and picking up the rubbish as it appears I did this recently along my road and outside peoples houses and got a refuse sack full. If there's a lot we'll try get the builder take it instead of putting it in personal bins.

The management fees for the townhouses in Barnwell place are around €740, no idea what the apartments fees are....As far as I'm aware, service fees and management fees are one and the same - I bloody hope so anyway!!!

The management fees for the townhouses in Barnwell place are around €740, no idea what the apartments fees are....As far as I'm aware, service fees and management fees are one and the same - I bloody hope so anyway!!!

What the hell how could a townhouse cost €740? I understand the apartments but come on?

DCTF wrote: »
    What the hell how could a townhouse cost €740? I understand the apartments but come on?

Beats me too, maybe it's got something to do with the fact that there are apartments above the townhouses or maybe they're just a greedy lot...

Still though, it's not as bad as the management fees for a three bed apartment in the waterways, ashtown - they were quoting me €1800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Beats me too, maybe it's got something to do with the fact that there are apartments above the townhouses or maybe they're just a greedy lot...

That might explain it as then there would be need for sinking funds and the like

• Advertisement

Sinking fund?????

I hope to be moving into one of the townhouses pretty soon so any advice on where to buy flooring, furniture etc would be greatly appreciated. I've picked up a few tips from some of the DIY forums already but no harm in asking for more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sinking fund?????.

Its a fund thats built up between the various occupiers over they ears to provide for maintenance of the building that is common to each.

Thanks, thats good to know!
    The sinking fund is used for appartments - instead of spending all the service charge this year, they put some of it in a fund for the future. In 10 years or so alot of bigger repair jobs will probably come up together e.g. fixing the roof.
    Im also looking at flooring etc. Des Kelly have a deal at the mo - buy your wooden floor and they'll fit it for free.

I've heard good stories about a place on the kylemore road, called supervalue carpets....they did the townhouse showhouse (it's still open for viewing) my g/f rang them and they said the oak floor in there would cost us €45 per sq metre including fitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daydreamer1

I went to des kelly for my flooring and carpets got some good deals with them and they did fit everything for free! you can get bargains you just have to look around! does anyone know if any of the apartments above the townhouses have sold i havent seen any movement in them, although i am enjoying the peace and quiet but if they dont sell it will push up the management fees! Anyone got internet connection with anyone besides eircom dont fancy getting a phone line?

Hi Daydreamer1, Im due to move into an apartment this month. I think I might be the first. I understood the management fee was a set amount (indexed linked I know). Can they charge us more if some units are left unsold?
    Anyone know if theres been any progress on the UPC/NTL situation or can we still not access it?:o

Hi Daydreamer1, Im due to move into an apartment this month. I think I might be the first. I understood the management fee was a set amount (indexed linked I know). Can they charge us more if some units are left unsold?
    Anyone know if theres been any progress on the UPC/NTL situation or can we still not access it?:o

No broadworks is your only option or a sky dish on the back of the property however I don't know how feasible that would be in an apartment where everthing is mass poured concrete.

Ok, after trawling through a lot of the earlier posts in this thread, I have some questions I hope can be answered:

What is the UPC/NTL situation?????
    What is the current tv provider (broadworks?) like?
    Who provides broadband to the area - eircom, BT?
    What do the management fees cover?
    How much are the refuse charges?
    Are there any other charges, poor services, good points etc I should be aware of before I move in?

I'm just getting a little apprehensive before the big move, Thank you all for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daydreamer1

Hey ya they can charge more basically managements fees are split between the properties for general up keep of the estate etc so our management fees cover all the areas that have houses built on them but if only 200 houses and apartments are occupied out of lets say 250 places built would lead to the fees being divided between the 200. Theyve stopped building now so hopefully the will sell all the properties but management fees do tend to rise theyre not fools who own this land! Congrats on the apartment its a good estate and its quiet! Enjoy the move

• Advertisement

Ok, after trawling through a lot of the earlier posts in this thread, I have some questions I hope can be answered:

What is the UPC/NTL situation?????
    What is the current tv provider (broadworks?) like?
    Who provides broadband to the area - eircom, BT?
    What do the management fees cover?
    How much are the refuse charges?
    Are there any other charges, poor services, good points etc I should be aware of before I move in?

I'm just getting a little apprehensive before the big move, Thank you all for your help

Anyone?

Advertisement