Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

userduluth wrote: »
    You might be right Pat but, its just my personal experience as I have never experienced this before.

You have been incredibly lucky not to have experienced this. Unfortunately house break-in's are a fact of live, no matter what the area, be it city or country that you live in. I presume you are aware of the crime spree that is plaguing areas of rural Ireland as well?

I've lived in this area for close to 20 years and based on that time it's no better or worse to other places I've lived.

Please tell me where this doesn't happen in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Arsen5

Hi all, we moved in 3 weeks ago, firstly Climote couldn't heat the water & when we try electric water heating upstairs it shuts down all sockets in the house plus fuise came down. Got the plumber he fixed Climote & said the electric one needs spare part (problem with wiring, but he never showed up again. Yesterday I opened the valve in the nickels bars in main bathroom ended up loosing boiler pressure & the whole heating went down got the plumber again he said he fixed it but that nickels bar flooded the main bathroom & leaked through the roof to the kitchen & now the kitchen is flooded as well, I don't know how much damage & don't even know how to go about this. This supposed to be a brand new house & already have to deal with this three weeks only since moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

Arsen5 wrote: »
    Hi all, we moved in 3 weeks ago, firstly Climote couldn't heat the water & when we try electric water heating upstairs it shuts down all sockets in the house plus fuise came down. Got the plumber he fixed Climote & said the electric one needs spare part (problem with wiring, but he never showed up again. Yesterday I opened the valve in the nickels bars in main bathroom ended up loosing boiler pressure & the whole heating went down got the plumber again he said he fixed it but that nickels bar flooded the main bathroom & leaked through the roof to the kitchen & now the kitchen is flooded as well, I don't know how much damage & don't even know how to go about this. This supposed to be a brand new house & already have to deal with this three weeks only since moving in.

Let builder know these type of issues.
    Isn't builder supposed to do fix these issues!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Energy1

Surely the builder should be paying for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭userduluth

That's not nice to happen in just 3 weeks time, I think if you mention to the builder that you have hired an external plumber for the job he will not honour his side of the contract, so just tell the builder it happened just now
    otherwise you will end up with huge bill..may be I am wrong but just ask some one who has experience in these before approaching the builder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

Hi guys,
    We've signed the contract last week, so soon we'll be neighbors :)

Just a quick one..
    Have you done the snag list of the house before or after fitting the tiles and the kitchen?

Cheers!

that's terrible...
    I hope you have a good home insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Snagging is done when builders are done with whatever they are supposed to do.

bbari wrote: »
    Snagging is done when builders are done with whatever they are supposed to do.

Thanks bbari,
    that means that I have anyway to wait for the snag list before fit tiles, kitchen and wardrobes, am I right?

Cheers

lunamia wrote: »
    Thanks bbari,
    that means that I have anyway to wait for the snag list before fit tiles, kitchen and wardrobes, am I right?

Cheers

My house is not ready yet. But, As far as I know, Snagging is the last process before closing the sale.

Snagging is done after completing all the works from the builder.
    kitchen and wardrobes will be fitted by builder.

• Advertisement

lunamia wrote:
    Thanks bbari, that means that I have anyway to wait for the snag list before fit tiles, kitchen and wardrobes, am I right?

After kitchen and wardrobes are installed as they are done by the builders. In fairness the finish is top quality and there's not much on the snag list.

Thanks everybody for replying.

That seems to be a contradiction to me,
    how can a house be ready for the works and not for the snag list.

Let's say you have spent more than 10,000 euro for tiles,
    and eventually your engineer says there's a structural issue to your house.

What's the situation in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭userduluth

I will be singing the contract in couple of days(not read the contract yet), can any one suggest as to anything has been changed in the terms and the builder accepted to it....please let me know if its even the small changes..

lunamia wrote:
    Let's say you have spent more than 10,000 euro for tiles, and eventually your engineer says there's a structural issue to your house.

Unless I'm missing something, the tiling won't effect any structure.
    The tiling you get is nothing to do with the builder as that's between you and whoever did the tiling.

userduluth wrote: »
    I will be singing the contract in couple of days(not read the contract yet), can any one suggest as to anything has been changed in the terms and the builder accepted to it....please let me know if its even the small changes..

From my experience, You can not change any terms in the builder's contract.
    You have two choices either accept & sign the contract OR reject & cancel the purchase. :)

Anyway, solicitor will explain main points in the contract...

Hi,

Builder's plumber already installed shower tray.
    Is that possible do re-install shower tray on the floor tiles later when doing flooring?
    Does this needs any additional plumbing work for waste water line?
    Anybody installed shower tray in this way?

Thank You

Thomas16 wrote: »
    Hi,

Builder's plumber already installed shower tray.
    Is that possible do re-install shower tray on the floor tiles later when doing flooring?
    Does this needs any additional plumbing work for waste water line?
    Anybody installed shower tray in this way?

Thank You

Hi, I tried to have the shower tray fitted on the tiles, but Jimmy said it's not possible.

The only opportunity I had was the tanking, if you are doing the job through him, let him to explain you how it works.
    I understood it's not efficient as having tiles, but "should" help.

bbari wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, the tiling won't effect any structure.
    The tiling you get is nothing to do with the builder as that's between you and whoever did the tiling.

Hi bbari, thanks for replying, all the times so kind :)

What I meant was, let's take the case that you do the flooring job, whatever it is and you had a big expenses about it.

At the end of everything, you engage the surveillor,
    and after checking the property he says that the house has, let's say, a big structural issue to the roof.

What happens in this case?
    Is the builder obliged to fix the roof?
    At that stage you can't terminate the contract anymore...

Cheers:o

lunamia wrote:
    Hi bbari, thanks for replying, all the times so kind

You are welcome :)
    lunamia wrote:
    What happens in this case? Is the builder obliged to fix the roof? At that stage you can't terminate the contract anymore...

In some cases, the builders let the residents do the tiling (with Jimmy) as he's their own sub contractor too. AFAIK they don't let you do the flooring likes of carpets or wooden untill they hand over the keys (which is after the snag).

Hi, I tried to have the shower tray fitted on the tiles, but Jimmy said it's not possible.

The only opportunity I had was the tanking, if you are doing the job through him, let him to explain you how it works.
    I understood it's not efficient as having tiles, but "should" help.

Hi lunamia,

Thank You for Your reply...

Can I ask, Why it's not possible? What the reason Jimmy told?

• Advertisement

Hi lunamia,

Thank You for Your reply...

Can I ask, Why it's not possible? What the reason Jimmy told?

To be honest I understood it's just matter of habit, that makes me so nervous!
    I tried to but I wasn't able to have it :mad:

The only thing I was able to get was the tanking for which I'm paying separately 175 euro + vat per bathroom.

Bye

Hi all,

has any of you had the staircase covered with laminate?
    I'm curious about the price, as I didn't receive the quotation, yet.

And, has anyone done the staircase with solid hardwood instead?
    What's the price in the average in this case?

Cheers

To be honest I understood it's just matter of habit, that makes me so nervous!
    I tried to but I wasn't able to have it :mad:

The only thing I was able to get was the tanking for which I'm paying separately 175 euro + vat per bathroom.

Bye

I think, it is possible only if the angle between floor and side wall should be 90 degree. That might be the reason.

Can I ask, What You mean by "tanking" in the bathroom?

Thank You

I think, it is possible only if the angle between floor and side wall should be 90 degree. That might be the reason.

Thank You

There's a nice discussion in here about it..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055682746

Anyway, to have an idea you can better googling
    I understood it's something waterproof like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwR-vS4xc9g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thank You

Tanking is the term used for a layer of fibreglass and resin which is installed as a sub-floor and the lowers sections of your bathroom walls just beneath your tiles. It prevents water damage in the event of a flood or leak in your bathroom.

Highly recommend!

There's a nice discussion in here about it..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055682746

Anyway, to have an idea you can better googling
    I understood it's something waterproof like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwR-vS4xc9g

Thanks Lunamia & Pat

That's interesting...

For 175, Where would Jimmy applied tanking, it's only on the side wall (wet area) or in the floor as well to prevent leakage to the underfloor?

Hi all,

has any of you had the staircase covered with laminate?
    I'm curious about the price, as I didn't receive the quotation, yet.

And, has anyone done the staircase with solid hardwood instead?
    What's the price in the average in this case?

Cheers

I think, Carpet is best option for the staircase because low cost & safe as well (wood/laminate would have chance to slip).

Otherwise as an option, put carpet on the horizontal area and vertical area of the stair covered by laminate/wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Energy1

Energy1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be a resident in Barnwell next year and was looking for some information if possible.

1. Who would you recommend to do a wooden floor in the living room? And to fit carpets upstairs?
    2. Do we get to pick the paint colours?
    3. Who puts in the skirting or is that something we need to do?
    4. Is it best to get the contractors on site to do the work i.e the plumber to install the shower and bath rail?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks

Energy1 wrote:
    1. Who would you recommend to do a wooden floor in the living room? And to fit carpets upstairs? 2. Do we get to pick the paint colours? 3. Who puts in the skirting or is that something we need to do? 4. Is it best to get the contractors on site to do the work i.e the plumber to install the shower and bath rail?

1. PM me closer to the time and I'll share the details of the guys who did my flooring

2. I'm sure you can at an additional cost otherwise there will be the same colour scheme as the showhouse.

3. The builders put the skirting boards.

4. I got the on site plumber to install shower and bath screens. I'm sure you can save 100 to 150 euro but i avoided the hassle of going to shop, delivery, drilling screws in tiles and cracking tiles (just in case).

• Advertisement

Thanks Lunamia & Pat

That's interesting...

For 175, Where would Jimmy applied tanking, it's only on the side wall (wet area) or in the floor as well to prevent leakage to the underfloor?

Hi Thomas,

175 euro + Vat (for each bathroom) is the price I had.

I understood it's only for the wet area,
    below the shower
    and below the bath only around the pipes coming down.

I know it's not enough, but unfortunately that's the only think I was able to obtain.
    Probably because my bath is already fitted.

Maybe if yours is not yet fitted, you can have a better job done.

Advertisement