Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

Just let you know, before putting tiles in the bathrooms, needs to check all pipes and shower working well, hot and cold water mixing correctly depending on the different levels (or temp set in the thermostat shower) and make sure no leaking anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cousin

Guys,

I am using a close by solicitor services for the purchase, and now is the time to sign the contracts.
    She asked me to send the full 10%(-2k) + solicitor fee + stamp duty to the solicitor account and then sign the contracts from the developer.
    Just wanted to check how you guys did this, as it's a lot of money and I am a bit nervous (never dealt with a solicitor before)

Guys,

I am using a close by solicitor services for the purchase, and now is the time to sign the contracts.
    She asked me to send the full 10%(-2k) + solicitor fee + stamp duty to the solicitor account and then sign the contracts from the developer.
    Just wanted to check how you guys did this, as it's a lot of money and I am a bit nervous (never dealt with a solicitor before)

cousin wrote: »
    Guys,

Normally, no need to pay solicitor fee + stamp duty at the time to sign the contract. That would be paid when you close the sale at the end.

About 10%, Aren't you eligible to get HTB scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

Guys,

Our solicitor only wanted the deposit money when signing contracts. His fee and stamp duty is paid when the house is finished and we sign for the mortgage. He gave us a full breakdown of all charges so we know what we will need to pay when the house is ready.

If you're worried about being scammed I'd talk to your mortgage advisor in the bank. If you pay by bank transfer it's usually safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

the flooring mill in dunboyne quote me €32sqm supply and fit for Robusto laminate. Ash type house of 4beds, landing and living room. They have to measure up but it's about €2400. Tiling the kitchen utility hall wc and two bathrooms was €10,000.

Please tell me you didn't spend ten thousand euro on tiles for your house. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ck0

Thomas16 wrote: »
    That's the total electricity produced by the panel on that day.

If you check the electricity meter outside, a small arrow mark on the screen should be in the reverted position ( <--- ) if the appliances consume electricity from the panel. Otherwise arrow mark in forwarding position ( ---> )

If the electricity produced by the panel not utilized by the appliances, it will go back to ESB. not storing anywhere.

Thank You

Thanks a lot, useful info regarding arrow mark!
    Regarding amount of energy, I think that's per hour. After pressing black unnamed button it shows you the total saved per day it is displaying 0.8kW, and overall total is 43kW. So to me it seems "550" is W/h (0.5kW/h).

Is there any discounts from electricity companies for selling the electricity from solar panels to the main grid? In first phase of houses in Barnwell there was such benefit from ESB, but now I can't find any details re that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly river

10,000 between tiles and laminate

I'll be the house with the black bin liners as curtains and garden chairs in the living room

Thanks for the info, it sounds right the solicitor fee and the stamp duty to be payed when the sale is closed, not sure why mine is asking for it now... I am using the one recommended on this forum (from ongar village) that is why I was asking if anyone else has this situation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 TRANSYL

We were going with this same solicitor in the village but retracted our contracts as they were looking for payment upfront... No other solicitor that we got a quote from needed it upfront

• Registered Users Posts: 24 olammo

That's the total electricity produced by the panel on that day.

If you check the electricity meter outside, a small arrow mark on the screen should be in the reverted position ( <--- ) if the appliances consume electricity from the panel. Otherwise arrow mark in forwarding position ( ---> )

If the electricity produced by the panel not utilized by the appliances, it will go back to ESB. not storing anywhere.

Thank You
    Very useful info, thank you Thomas16

Thanks for the info, it sounds right the solicitor fee and the stamp duty to be payed when the sale is closed, not sure why mine is asking for it now... I am using the one recommended on this forum (from ongar village) that is why I was asking if anyone else has this situation :)

I used the services from one solicitor in Lucan Village and he's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

10 grand to tile the place?

Wow. I mean between the deposit for the place, furniture, and what have you, you'd be 50-70k in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭k100

myshirt wrote: »
    10 grand to tile the place?

Wow. I mean between the deposit for the place, furniture, and what have you, you'd be 50-70k in the hole.

Tiling 70 yards, costed me about 1.5k for labor, adhesive and grout. not including tiles. Tiles all on the ground floor. Kitchen, utility, living room and downstairs bathroom.

10k job they better have every tile level with every other tile with no lip for that price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Quality tiles are expensive. I wouldn't skimp on flooring, it's a disruptive pain to replace in 5-8 years time.

Quality tiles are expensive. I wouldn't skimp on flooring, it's a disruptive pain to replace in 5-8 years time.

What's the best flooring option in terms of quality/durability - tiles/laminate/carpet?

I know each one has their pros and cons, but general recommendation based on the above comment?

olammo wrote: »
    What's the best flooring option in terms of quality/durability - tiles/laminate/carpet?

I know each one has their pros and cons, but general recommendation based on the above comment?

I would say Laminate.
    Good quality laminate looks nice, will last more than 15-20 yrs. (Easy to change if you want to change in between)
    Easy to clean compared with carpet, not that much cold as compared with tiles.
    Good cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭k100

I would say Laminate.
    Good quality laminate looks nice, will last more than 15-20 yrs.
    Easy to clean compared with carpet, not that much cold as compared with tiles.
    Good cost effective.

Yep laminate is generally the go to option for good reasonable price and low cost of installation. Get A4 / A5 rated Laminate,
    It is more forgiving when installing even on an uneven surface than tiles.

But its also a matter of preference and lifestyle i.e have you got pets etc

the laminate would win. I am in my first home 9 years and my floors were engineered boards, they still look fab but its a soft wood so marks easily from furniture moving chairs etc, you need to use the felt protectors on all furniture, but a few scuffs also adds to charm. A Laminate won't mark. The floor tiles on the other hand are ceramic and cracked in the kitchen and bathroom which I need to replace before I move to Beechwood. (cracked when a hair brush fell in bathroom)

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info. What you all said aligns with my flooring preference.

I'm planning to go for underfloor heating http : / / glenergy.ie / our-products /underfloor-heating / along with laminate flooring in ground floor?
    Do you see any problem with that?

Does cutting of one of the joist for installing attic ladder defects the structure of the house in Barnwell/Beechwood Gate? As far as I know this is the only option if you want to install normal attic ladder with decent loft door. Anyone had any positive/negative experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭technogeek

Does anyone has any recent aerial pictures of the site in Beechwood? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

olammo wrote: »

Porcelain tiles. As I said though they will cost. Many people buy cheap ceramic tiles from places like Right Price Tiles which I would avoid. We have 14mm good quality laminate in the sitting room and it scratches easier than our porcelain tiles which have had integrated fridges and washing machines dragged, scraping along them. The laminate would have been gouged but the tiles show nothing.

Get the floor leveled before installing them, which I would do regardless of what floor you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

At the moment looks like we are going with wood effect porcelain tiles for downstairs. Now just to get 3 tilers quotes! Will continue to try Jimmy hopefully he will be one of the three!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

At the moment looks like we are going with wood effect porcelain tiles for downstairs. Now just to get 3 tilers quotes! Will continue to try Jimmy hopefully he will be one of the three!

Did somebody install wooden attic ladder in these houses? Did this require one truss to be cut and if so how the truss was hardened?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭technogeek

• Advertisement

Hey. Can anybody share any landscaping company who could do a leveling of the backgarden? Our backgarden has a slope in the corners and at the end of backgarden and builder told this is something they won't be doing. Anyone had any similar experience? Thanks

Advertisement