Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnwell, Hansfield, near Ongar, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shutterwal

God that doesn’t sound good! Thankfully our house isn’t in the circled area (we’re just by the roundabout facing the distributor road) but still not good like you say the whole area could be affected.

Future neighbor ! People are just happy enough to live in a house after putting through great deal of thought and efforts. Now if these speculative inconveniences become true and I find myself unhappy after 5 years, I can always opt to be a landlord or move on! Time is my worst enemy hence I'm happy that I no longer need to pay for my landlord's mortgage going forward. I'm sure those who had been buying in the likes of Castlefield Hall or higher end D15 residences will have different sets of unfounded fears or risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Are there any 4 beds left in barnwell?

There will be a mangement company on-site so I believe social housing will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

kevincool wrote: »
    Are there any 4 beds left in barnwell?

There will be a mangement company on-site so I believe social housing will be ok

In my experience, there's a greater chance of highly-transient private renters causing trouble moreso any social housing tenant.

How will the queing be for the releases in barnwell? Do people que overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

How will the queing be for the releases in barnwell? Do people que overnight?

Don't think there was a queue for the last couple of releases there. I called in on the Sunday to see the show houses and there were a god few left. I'd say it's because they've put the prices up so much from a year ago that few people can afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There's a new release of homes at Barnwell Woods this coming weekend (Mar 23/24) which I believe are the most recently constructed homes just inside from the Station (daffodil) roundabout. I've lost track of all the different names - everything seems to be called a variation of Park or Woods.

http://www.hansfieldhomes.com/

On a separate note, they seem to have started preparation works on the large undeveloped site south of the pylons and Educate Together school all the way up to the train station. Diggers levelling the land at the moment. I'd say there's room for a couple of 100 homes in there easily.

Planning application in from Barnwell developer for 120 houses and 80 apartments for that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

alexf1 wrote: »
    Planning application in from Barnwell developer for 120 houses and 80 apartments for that site!

Massive amount of objections too.

The one across the way is in for 7 storey apartment blocks and doesn't have as many objections from what I can see.

Both look good to get the go ahead. Some heavy hitters have supported it (NTA for example).

Persistent theme in the objection letters appears to be exacerbating existing traffic congestion, access to a GP, and also demand on childcare / schools.

The schools one is a real problem, a lot of families new to area got caught having to travel outside the area to get the kids a school place if newly moved in. Those with kids not yet in school may fare better as they can go on the waiting list. It's not the developers fault, though in saying that they are still selling them presumably hoping no one will cop it or that somehow it will resolve.

The roads one caught me, are they really that bad with people driving through estates yo avoid it? Surely not. Road infrastructure out there is quite good.

There's no doubt that planning will be granted for all or almost all requested houses and apartments. The whole area is designed to be high density housing by the county council.

The traffic getting onto the Ongar Distributor road is a problem for only a few minutes each day, traffic on roads to the city/M50 is of no concern to planning as they'll be congested no matter what. People using any housing estate as a rat run should be avoided at all costs because those cars will be speeding to get ahead of traffic, but I'm not sure what the official guidelines are. Anyway, hardly a single resident that lives in the estate keeps under 30km/h while driving in or out. I've almost been overtaken on the Barnwell road by someone while doing 30km/h...

Not getting children into the schools must be a nightmare, but then that's also a very short lived problem as people living here will only be able to have a limited amount of kids... Again, planners will not deny housing because of a shortage of school places for 2 or 3 years.

Did anyone book a house in the new release on march 23/24 in Barnwell Woods? When will the completion date be according to the developer?

• Advertisement

Did anyone book a house in the new release on march 23/24 in Barnwell Woods? When will the completion date be according to the developer?

Target is October.

All houses now gone per their Facebook.

myshirt wrote: »
    Target is October.

All houses now gone per their Facebook.

I myself booked a house.:)

I myself booked a house.:)

Congrats!

Did you go for a 3 bed or 4 bed yourself?

myshirt wrote: »
    Congrats!

Did you go for a 3 bed or 4 bed yourself?

Thanks. Went for a 3 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shutterwal

We went to accompany our friend there, and they too booked a 3 bed. They don't mind if the parking is at the back, since the price is 10K lower than the previous release. The 1st phase has a snag date of June. The latest phase is expected to be completed by September, though the snag date may fall sometime November unless they expedite it.

Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Basrah

Hi all,
    My 4 bed house has just been completed at beechwood. Can someone please recommend a Tiler and a Carpenter for wooden floors. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 X-Ace

Hi,

Just a questions for guys who bought the house in Barnwell. Received my initial snag yesterday, and I was wondering how long was the turn around time for the guys to send out a completion notice to the scolitor and how long after did they want the funds to be drawndown ?

Thanks,

Just sent a fixyourstreet request to Fingal council to see if they can cut back the 4 foot high weeds on the Station roundabout leading up to the train station. The amount of mornings I see near misses with kids crossing by foot, scooter or bike on the western side of the roundabout and cars coming from the east flying around and slamming on the brakes as they can only see the pedestrians at the last second due to the weeds blocking visibility. Again, two children under 10 cycling across this morning and my heart was in my mouth as a car suddenly appeared at speed. Thankfully, he saw them in time. If he had sun in his eyes or was distracted by anything else, his reaction time may not have been as quick....

Why can't the roundabout be lawn based like the one up in Barnwell or down near Allendale to enable maximum visibility? I know the daffodils are nice to look at in Spring but for the other 10 or 11 months of the year, it's an unsightly overgrown weed mess!

I know there are pedestrian lights on the eastern end of the roundabout but realistically, many kids (and adults) will just cross the shorter distance at the west side if that's where their schools/houses etc are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yzx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

yzx wrote: »

Why does Ongar need a Garda station when it is a ten minute drive from a pretty modern, purpose built large Garda station in Blanchardstown? Surely the money would be better spent on ensuring there are Garda patrols out and about who can respond quickly than having a major capital spend followed by having a 2nd station in the area that needs 24/7 manning on its desk, rather than having those Gardai out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 MaryNewell

Dublin 15 is the size of Limerick and they have five times more policing resources than Dublin 15. We need more guards. The area is becoming a ghetto :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yzx

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Why does Ongar need a Garda station when it is a ten minute drive from a pretty modern, purpose built large Garda station in Blanchardstown? Surely the money would be better spent on ensuring there are Garda patrols out and about who can respond quickly than having a major capital spend followed by having a 2nd station in the area that needs 24/7 manning on its desk, rather than having those Gardai out and about.
    Just a small example, a house was broken in yesterday, and it took 2 hours for the Garda to come down from Blanchardstown station. They simply don't have enough resources. As a taxpayer, I am happy if the resources are allocated to protect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

yzx wrote: »
    Just a small example, a house was broken in yesterday, and it took 2 hours for the Garda to come down from Blanchardstown station. They simply don't have enough resources. As a taxpayer, I am happy if the resources are allocated to protect us.

So it didn't take 2 hours because the cop shop is 2 hours away, it took 2 hours because there aren't enough Gardai. By building a station you devote to it resources that could be spent filling the perfectly adequate station with more police and vehicles that could be patrolling around.

A station does not equal better policing, it equals more fixed cost into things that don't stop crime. Ok in an area with no police station, but as I say, Ongar is 10 minutes drive from Blanch Garda Station. Having a cop on the desk of a new mythical Ongar station will just remove 1 more police officer from being out on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

ongarboy wrote:
    Just sent a fixyourstreet request to Fingal council to see if they can cut back the 4 foot high weeds on the Station roundabout leading up to the train station. The amount of mornings I see near misses with kids crossing by foot, scooter or bike on the western side of the roundabout and cars coming from the east flying around and slamming on the brakes as they can only see the pedestrians at the last second due to the weeds blocking visibility. Again, two children under 10 cycling across this morning and my heart was in my mouth as a car suddenly appeared at speed. Thankfully, he saw them in time. If he had sun in his eyes or was distracted by anything else, his reaction time may not have been as quick....

And they did listen you!

bbari wrote: »
    ongarboy wrote:

And they did listen you!
    Can't believe it! Or else a coincidence!

On a negative note, unfortunate to see a burnt out abandoned car on road up to Hansfield station..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103

A new Garda Station is not the answer. The problem lies with a lack of Gardaí in Blanchardstown Station. There is a huge Civilianisation project taking place at the moment, hundreds of civilians are in the process of taking over administration roles from the Gardaí so they can go back to operational duties. without being negative I think the petition is a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Ongar is slowly becoming a no go area. We were warned buying our house 16 years aho that it would become a ghetto and sad to say we didn't heed it.
    A greater community Garda presence is badly needed. 4 hours to attend the scene of a burglary is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Ongar is slowly becoming a no go area. We were warned buying our house 16 years aho that it would become a ghetto and sad to say we didn't heed it.
    A greater community Garda presence is badly needed. 4 hours to attend the scene of a burglary is not good enough.

It might be a bit rough to some, but ghetto? A word that's thrown around so often it's lost all meaning.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    It might be a bit rough to some, but ghetto? A word that's thrown around so often it's lost all meaning.

Agreed. I'd really like DublinMum to elaborate what she means by a "no go" area or ghetto?

Yes, there is some antisocial behaviour and some criminal incidents that took place that needs to be addressed along with certain other issues but to in essence declare it as an area of complete lawlessness where you take your life in your hand every single time you are about in the area (as those two labels imply) is disingenuous and an insult to the area and frankly the vast majority of law abiding citizens and families who happily reside in the area.

Every suburb in Dublin has instances of anti social behaviour occurring. Ongar is by no means perfect but is not a ghetto or a no go area!

Edit - I didn't mean to come across strong in my tone but I do take pride in where I live here and I realistically do not encounter these issues being scare mongered and I am out and about in the neighborhood every day.

Advertisement