Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Semi-auto's at Target Shoots

• 22-02-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I was wondering is there a stigma attached to, or problem with people using semi autos at target shoots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Rifle or shotgun?
    I know semi auto shotguns are frowned upon at most clay shoots especially DTL
    not sure on semi auto rifles

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Why is that?
    Aside from the 'tradition' angle, there's a safety issue with semi-autos (and pumps), in that it's much harder for other shooters to see if the gun is empty and 'safe'.
    A broken U/O or S/S can be seen from any reasonable distance to be 'safe', whereas the status of a fixed barrel gun is much more difficult to determine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 M14

Rovi wrote: »
    Aside from the 'tradition' angle, there's a safety issue with semi-autos (and pumps), in that it's much harder for other shooters to see if the gun is empty and 'safe'.
    A broken U/O or S/S can be seen from any reasonable distance to be 'safe', whereas the status of a fixed barrel gun is much more difficult to determine.

While safety is one of the concerns, the main issue is ejected shells hitting the shooter standing next to you on the line, might upset them :D.
    If you fit a shell catcher, then there is no issue.
    From a competive point of view you are giving up an advantage in that you only have one barrel and one choke setting, most DTL shotguns are set up to fir 3/4 then full choke if you need the second barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bishy

Rifle or shotgun?
    I know semi auto shotguns are frowned upon at most clay shoots especially DTL
    not sure on semi auto rifles

Its a shotgun. Yeah I heard the same thing, but could put a deflector on it I suppose if it comes to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

Bishy,

No problem with Semi Auto or Lever Action at Gallery Competitions.

Course of Fire is Semi-Auto or Lever Action.
    Many Clubs have this facility around Ireland.

But as a Semi user.
    Always pick a Shooting Lane on the far right if your ejection port is on the right.
    Golden rule: If the Competitor beside you is happy. Then we are all happy.

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Even if you do have a deflector to make sure the ejected hulls don't hit the guy next to you - it makes a mess of the range. After the line has finished you have to pick em all up. I would have thought that would be a real pain in the arse for the owner.

B'Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

I always bring my o/u to clay shoots, now.

I use a semi-auto in the field (left handed) and my shooting partner also uses a semi-auto (right handed). At a clay shoot last year we decide to bring the semi-autos for practice in the field. We were drawn 1st and 3rd in DTL. The poor chap between us was being hit by shells from the left and the right. Wasn't very impressed and quickly aired his views on semi-autos .

J.R. wrote: »
    I always bring my o/u to clay shoots, now.

I use a semi-auto in the field (left handed) and my shooting partner also uses a semi-auto (right handed). At a clay shoot last year we decide to bring the semi-autos for practice in the field. We were drawn 1st and 3rd in DTL. The poor chap between us was being hit by shells from the left and the right. Wasn't very impressed and quickly aired his views on semi-autos .

i know they say you dont LOL when you type LOL but i just did, picutre the poor lad in the middle:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

J.R., you and your pal came 3rd and 2nd last did you ? The lad with the two black eyes was last :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Frowned upon for clay disciplines where you have a line, but no hassel on english sporting etc. I have shot autos for years still do and my berretta is used for skeet. I use a 30 inch sporter o/u on everything else changed because of the "Dirty looks". However the semi is a good clay buster very little recoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

a few reasons ,they always look unsafe ,most guys using them are game shooters and sometimes do not put them into a gun slips when not in use.and when they bend down to pick up shells or something the barrel goes down with them ,into some ones face .i have one for game ,pigeons .but hate the sight of them on a clay field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The weapon is not dangerous it's the person carrying it that is or isn't dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I've taken up clay shooting again after a few years absence - Shot the first few rounds of the Leinster league and can't recall seeing any semi's at all - a few years back there were always a good few about .

Prefer to see a broken gun to be honest as you can never tell with the semi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

What about the new beretta UGB 25 breakable semi auto the perfect answer to all the problems with semi's at shoots.

foxhunter wrote: »
    What about the new beretta UGB 25 breakable semi auto the perfect answer to all the problems with semi's at shoots.

Interesting looking piece of kit ! Wonder if they'll catch on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

shanel23 wrote: »
    Interesting looking piece of kit ! Wonder if they'll catch on ?

[IMG][/img]ugb2504.jpg

UGB01.jpg

J.R. wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]ugb2504.jpg

UGB01.jpg

Looks good ! Could be persuaded to part with my old faithful 28" o/u rizzini - Wonder what sort of money one of these would be here - saw on beretta.com they were talking about $3995 in the States

I was and still am a semi fan.
    I don't accept that they are dangerous as the majority have a hold open device and you are only allowed 2 shells at competions.
    They are easy to unload, press button on side pull back lever catch cartridge bolt open. In fact majority of semi owners routinly unload their Firearm changing stand on a line o/u guys routinly just walk from 5 to 1 with the cartridges in the chamber all be the fire arm broken.

Semis
    they have light recoil
    they are easy to swing
    Only 1 choke!!!! (get confidence in your shooting) stop faffing about changing chokes etc)

I put my guns in a sleeve to protect them between stands, not necessarily for safety reasons

Where they are annoying and you have unfair advantage is that unless you have a deflector the poor bugger gets hit when you pull the trigger if you shoot in a line.

Regarding picking up shells, I always picked up shells from my semi, pitty some o/u guys don't as they ejected over there shoulders. (Thats just manners)

UGB25 below is carzy money and I don't think it is proven yet. I also looked at the remmington 105 (under reciever ejection) but again price is mad, and not tried and tested.

I was and still am a semi fan.
    I don't accept that they are dangerous as the majority have a hold open device and you are only allowed 2 shells at competions.
    They are easy to unload, press button on side pull back lever catch cartridge bolt open. In fact majority of semi owners routinly unload their weapon changing stand on a line o/u guys routinly just walk from 5 to 1 with the cartridges in the chamber all be the fire arm broken.

Semis
    they have light recoil
    they are easy to swing
    Only 1 choke!!!! (get confidence in your shooting) stop faffing about changing chokes etc)

I put my guns in a sleeve to protect them between stands, not necessarily for safety reasons

Where they are annoying and you have unfair advantage is that unless you have a deflector the poor bugger gets hit when you pull the trigger if you shoot in a line.

Regarding picking up shells, I always picked up shells from my semi, pitty some o/u guys don't as they ejected over there shoulders. (Thats just manners)

UGB25 below is carzy money and I don't think it is proven yet. I also looked at the remmington 105 (under reciever ejection) but again price is mad, and not tried and tested.

you must be a flapper shooter so ,At all icpsa reg DTL competitions shooters must bring there fired shells home ,and no one walks from 5to1 with shells in there open gun thats no one ,also "weapons " we do not have we own firearms ,unless you bring you semi auto in to combat ,of course

• Advertisement

Point taken in relation to "weapon" a slip of the key check my other posts and threads I refer to firearm. From your comment regarding the semi, I take it you don't like them.

I don't shoot registered, wouldn't have the time required, God bless the Flapper shoot and open competion in registered grounds or fields, these are the breeding grounds for your next registered shooter

I know about the DTL rules etc regarding cartiridges, good to hear they are strictly enforced at registered shoots.

The point I am making the semi is not the problem as with any firearem it is the person using it.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=6077

Shell catcher used for competions in the us if anyone is interested.

Point taken in relation to "weapon" a slip of the key check my other posts and threads I refer to firearm. From your comment regarding the semi, I take it you don't like them.

I don't shoot registered, wouldn't have the time required, God bless the Flapper shoot and open competion in registered grounds or fields, these are the breeding grounds for your next registered shooter

I know about the DTL rules etc regarding cartiridges, good to hear they are strictly enforced at registered shoots.

The point I am making the semi is not the problem as with any firearem it is the person using it.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=6077

Shell catcher used for competions in the us if anyone is interested.
    love my 391 the lad i hunt with has one but i have been hunting with him for about 15 laming seasons .ie i thrust him .the reg shooting is good and safe and i also shoot a lot of flappers .i know every one starts at flappers .but some of the stuff you see ,make s the hair stand up...every one should have to do a course on safety .not some mickey mouse thing a good two or three day course on all aspects of hunting, shooting and respect for the counthy side and the creatures that live in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On the rare occasions I go shooting skeet/trap around these parts, I use a semi-auto, indeed, it seems pretty much to be the standard. Then again, semi-autos of all descriptions are not unusual around these parts, so we don't think of them as being particularly noteworthy.

NTM

I find with my semi, especially on a sporting layout that i have to give the bird alot more lead to get a hit and in DTL the shot takes just ever so slightly longer to hit the bird than when im shooting O/U
    Is this because alot of energy is taken out of the shot as the breach flys back to laod the next cartridge:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I find that I shoot much better with a semi-auto. At the monent I'm using a Beretta Urika A391 sporter, older model, and it's awsome, can't miss with it if I do my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I find that I shoot much better with a semi-auto. At the monent I'm using a Beretta Urika A391 sporter, older model, and it's awsome, can't miss with it if I do my part.

Ihad a 391 urika old model,traded it in-bad mistake-reckon they were the best handling beretta semi going-ive an extrema at the minute and if i ever walk into a gunshop and see the 391 urika on the shelf in good nick-
    then the extrema will exit stage left.icon10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have used both pump and semi on shoots both formal and flapper.Apart from the "plus 4 tweed and Purdey brigade" odd comments on confounded contraptions.I have never found a semi or pump to be a problem safteywise.A pump has the advantage of once the slide is back fully it can be inspected just as easy as an O/U. And is just as safe as the racked back slide blocks the entire firing mechanism.Same for a semi,but even if there are problems one can get the red flag chamber blocker type thing which lets all know that the gun is unloaded.Sort of like those REMOVE BEFORE FLITE saftey tabs on aircraft.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Very annoying having someone with a semi on your left in a squad situation. Even worse if you're a left hander like me and the spent cartrdidges hit you in the chest as you are trying to take your shot.

Best gun ever though for sporting or skeet. I had a Beretta 303 about 20 years ago. Traded it in back then and it was bought by a mate who still has it today. I get to shoot it once a year at a local flapper and it's still the bees knees.

Advertisement