Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

surprise brithday parties

• 22-02-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Right...Its almost midnight and I am turning 23 watching Doctor Who.

not a bad way to go.

Earlier I was meant to be seeing a large number of my friends for a night of blues at the local jazz/blues bar.

In the end though, nobody showed up and I ended up enjoying the blues on my own with alcohol and college kids across from me getting their female friends snog each other as they took phone pictures.

During this time I was thinking as to reasons why nobody showed up since I recieved no message as to why most of them failed to make it (except a few kind souls and one who texted me happy birthday and genuinely forgot where he was meant to be)

One thought that entered my mind was maybe a surprise birthday party.

And then I thought.

I'm not 10 ffs.

How is a surprise birthday party possible when your 23?

By 23 you should have friends stretching from school to college to work

you probably have a job yourself

I have friends who have nothing linking them to each other except me, how do they get invited to a surprise birthday party when i am not meant to know.

what happens if two different groups decide to throw a surprise birthday party.

They're pretty f*cked.

Do people even get surprise birthday parties beyond the early childhood where its easy for the mothers to round everyone up.

I dont think I have actually ever had a surprise birthday party...I've always organsied my own...

god damn that blues was good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hey I'd love to have a surprise birthday party I don't have nearly enough friends though.

At least you got to listen to some good jazz (I'm assuming is was good of course) and alcohol and some lesbian kissing (again assuming said college kids were female). Even if you were on your own, it's better than nothing.

Getting drunk on your own is only a bad thing if you listen to the people who say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

A gaf party is usually the best way to get your different groups of friends to talk to each other, to create a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I never get surprise parties because I always organise my own......

Really hope they are throwing you a surprise party, otherwise this thread is pretty depressing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

friends from cork to dublin to england to germany to kenya to america.

The kenyans hate the tipperary people

tipperary people hate the kenyans

the cork cant stand the english

the english cant understand the cork

the dubs are a pack of lazy basterds

the germans are too busy

and the americans understandable have never left their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Tipperary people hate Kenyans, eh? I never got that memo.

Sorry dude, that sounds ****. For my non-home 21st much the same thing happened. 4 people turned up in total, none of whom were my closest friends at the time. Sucks, but that's life.

• Advertisement

I had a surprise birthday for my 21st, which was nice. Didn't have a clue what was happening. Girlfriend almost had a stroke too since we were going for dinner and I was trying to back out of going, even suggesting that I'd make her dinner instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

We organised a surprise 30th for a mate of mine. It took three or four of us to try and collect together his spread of friends. In the end there was one group we just couldn't get in contact with to invite but he didn't seem too bothered. The way we'd planned to do it was rob his phone and get the number of one of them. Just didn't manage to pull it off in the end. The party was a huge success though and he was completely caught off guard - well worth it.

Having said that I personally don't have enough close friends to make a surprise party very likely. Normally I just go out with a few friends on a suitable night in or around the date very often combined with some other event to ensure there'll be a nice few out and a bit of craic.

No idea if this answers any questions or not. But either way:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Partaaay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I organised a surprise party for my missus' 21st. Told her we were goin for a fancy family meal when we were actually having a party in a pub. Semi backfired on me though as she forced me to wear a suit and look nice while I kept insisting on jeans and a t-shirt. I looked like a right overdressed knob for the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

i had a surprise party for my 25th there a couple of months ago, well it was a surprise for my mates, a few of them called around for cans, not knowing it was my birthday, havnt really celebrated my birthday since i dont know when, went out alone for my 21st, had a few pints, got tired and went home early

happy birthday btw :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Surprise parties are so cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I organised a surprise party for my missus' 21st. Told her we were goin for a fancy family meal when we were actually having a party in a pub. Semi backfired on me though as she forced me to wear a suit and look nice while I kept insisting on jeans and a t-shirt. I looked like a right overdressed knob for the night!
    The funniest part about that is that your girlfriend picks what you wear out.

Whipped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rb_ie wrote: »
    The funniest part about that is that your girlfriend picks what you wear out.

Whipped!

A valid point my friend, though only as it was a special occassion :o

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A valid point my friend, though only as it was a special occassion :o
    Suuuurreee ;):D

Advertisement