Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western People circulation well down

Options
  • 22-02-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Spotted that the circulation of the Western People newspaper has taken a nosedive in the last year, down almost 8 per cent which is a drop of about 80,000 copies a year. The sales of the Mayo News are also down about 2 per cent in the same period. There are no official figures for the Connaught Telegraph or the Mayo Advertiser even though their circulation is believed to be about 9,000 and 26,000 respectively. The Mayo Echo is not included either and their circualtion is undetermined.
    The figures were contained in the latest ABC official audited figures released yesterday (Thursday). They can be accessed at this website:

http://www.abc-ireland.ie/pdf/abcreports/report_ioi.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Suprised at that! I read the Western and the Mayo News every week. Cant stand the Connaught Telegraph-its all different fonts and sizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I read the Mayo, feel the week is missing something if i dont read it. Never even consider the Western. Not surprising though.

Mayo costs over €2 now. (God, you'd think i know the price of it). Thing is, personally i skip straing through to the local notes, then skim back to see if i actually missed anything (rarely do) then thats it. Bathroom reading material for hubby when he comes home from Dublin ;).

I'd say the likes of the Mayo echo and Advertiser have alot to do with it. Irish people love a freebie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

themadchef wrote: »
    I read the Mayo, feel the week is missing something if i dont read it. Never even consider the Western. Not surprising though.

Mayo costs over €2 now. (God, you'd think i know the price of it). Thing is, personally i skip straing through to the local notes, then skim back to see if i actually missed anything (rarely do) then thats it. Bathroom reading material for hubby when he comes home from Dublin ;).

I'd say the likes of the Mayo echo and Advertiser have alot to do with it. Irish people love a freebie!
    Same here, except for the toilet bit and the hubby bit!

The freebies, I must admit, contain some nice stuff. Well laid out, and they have got their act together. Other than that, I'd say online newsreading, and national papers circulating have been central to the change.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

We always have and probably always will buy the western:rolleyes:
    But lately we get the Mayo advertiser and echo free and there is as much news in them as the western.

The local news is always the same and alot of the same names appearing!
    Gets boring yawn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

artieanna wrote: »
    The local news is always the same and alot of the same names appearing!
    Gets boring yawn!!
    Yes, I agree. I wish they'd just out in something fresh rather than writing bingo, and the GAA lotto every week for every area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement