Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipster thread

Options
  • 22-02-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would there be any interest in a tipster thread where each person picks three selections or less a week starting with the same bank every week and the results are acumulated and scored against each other. Also, if people could be bothered they could tally the percentage of correct tips they've made. Just throwing this out there as it might find out who's tips are worth following and a bit of bragging rights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

count me in.. maybe it would be an idea to state whether its info or tips!! alot of money couldbe lost on peoples own fancies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

yea go for it. nags/football/other/mixed events? what bookmakers odds do you use? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

wba88 wrote: »
    yea go for it. nags/football/other/mixed events? what bookmakers odds do you use? etc

TBH, I would be inclined to leave out horses and dogs. There's a forum for that and a thread for that here. Other than that I would say anything reasonable should be allowed. In other words no Serie C1 or Turkish Conference.

As for what Bookies, I'd say Paddy's would be the easiest but I use Betfair more so I'm not bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Im up for it.
    We tried this a while back and it worked well until cson disappeared and stopped doing the running averages.
    Give it a whirl bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

IrishMike wrote: »
    Im up for it.
    We tried this a while back and it worked well until cson disappeared and stopped doing the running averages.
    Give it a whirl bubs

I was busy in College Mike. Doing nothing. You know the way :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

wba88 wrote: »

To be fair you'd have to allow all events and all bookmakers in my opinion. It wouldn't make sense not to. If not it's simply a football tipping competition or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

You'll have to pick one bookmakers only. Otherwise the odds get skewed by allowing all bookies. In that case you'll just have to do SPs.

cson wrote: »
    You'll have to pick one bookmakers only. Otherwise the odds get skewed by allowing all bookies. In that case you'll just have to do SPs.

So that rules out anyone half serious about gambling or anyone who understands the importance of value.

A thread to see which mug loses less.

Count me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

count me in aswel

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »

If that's the case it would have to be betfair so that you could lay aswell.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that I would calculate player averages, C in pass maths to my name, it'd clearly have to be self-regulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Bubs101 wrote: »
    In other words no Serie C1 or Turkish Conference.

I'm in, I have a couple of sure things in the Italian women's basketball cup qualifying matches this weekend.

I think the best way to do it would be to allow these "fantasy bets" to be placed at the odds offered by the bookies advertising on www.oddschecker.com I think that if you allow laying then it gets too complicated to work out who is ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

here goes...

8.50 wolverhampton Still Dreaming (tonite)

West Ham to beat Fulham

England to scrape past france

And of course Spurs to hammer Chelski on sunday;)

To be fair I think it would be very awkward to run. It would be tough to check up on everyones odds and using just one bookmaker really wouldn't suit a lot of people (using just one bookie is quite stupid anyway).
    As Bubs said then you have laying as well. If you were to choose just one gambling site Betfair would clearly be the obvious one (due to laying and much better odds in general).
    But I think a lot of people here are tied up to Paddy Power and for some reason won't sign up anywhere else so that would mess up that.

Best of luck but it won't be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Forest Master to win the Irish greyhound derby ante post on betfair, can lay him off at shorter odds during the comp for a free bet.

OK, These rules are taken from the other, now defunct thread set up by Chuckee which are better than my rules and copying and pasting is easier than thinking and typing.

1. You have to use betfair for your odds, if its on btfair you can bet on it, you can lay aswell. No trading though. Must post odds
    2. 7 bets a week. You can use those bets any time you want. & in one day, or one every day. Your choice.
    3. You can bet 75% of your bank(if you want to lay big odds you need a decent bank
    4. No horse racing or greyhounds betting allowed

Don't think it's worth starting this weekend. Maybe kick it off on tuesday if there's interest

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

I reckon it's a great idea - why not operate an honour system - everyone keep their own score - it would be easy if you set up an account on OLBG http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/tips.php
    You can play on there with fake money, and it keeps detailed stats for you - even breaks down your betting by sport etc.
    Aside from the comp, I find it helps you decide where you should focus your money...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

How many points do you start with? Accumulators allowed?

add: 'no in-running betting' to the rules

I reckon it's a great idea - why not operate an honour system - everyone keep their own score - it would be easy if you set up an account on OLBG http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/tips.php
    I was trying to think of that site. I reckon it could be fairly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Well up for this.. alot of issues to sort though (bank for everyone, number of bets for the week, site to use for prices, date when to start).. lets hope everyone can agree to something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Yea ill be up for tis to.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

how would it be controlled/tracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

betonit wrote: »
    how would it be controlled/tracked?

As somebody said we could use an honour system. We're all adults here and it's only a bit of fun so surely we can trust each other. May I suggest the following example? Everyone keeps their own running total going as it would be unfair to select one person to check everything and as mentioned no dogs/horses although I'm sure we could make an exception for the festival?

Starting bank of say 1,000 points (probably a bit high but just an example)

Maximum of trebles

Make a selection, obvioulsy with some kind of limit, say seven a week.

State amount wagered and source of odds (again no ned to check, only a bit of fun and the honour system kicks in here)

Place bet in the following manner

Chelsea to beat Spurs in 90 mnutes @ 11/10 with PP 200 points

Opening bank 1,000
    Balance after stake 800

Then when result is settled I quote myself and if Chelsea have won I state bet's a winner and keep total as below

Return from bet 420
    Previous balance 800
    New balance 1,220

Not laying down the law here, just my suggestion

Advertisement