Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week '08

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

The city centre looks very well this morning after Monday of Rag Week!!!!

Take-away rubbish thrown the length of O'Connell St.

Well done
    I think you'll find that UL students predominantly live in their microcosmic world of Castletroy. There are threads to this effect in the Limerick forum lamenting this fact. While UL's RAG week probably did contribute to the mess, it is farcical to blame it in entirety. LIT and MIC both partake in the city centre activities.

All in all RAG week may have some negative effects - it's gonna happen when people/students drink copious amounts of alcohol - but we raised €20,000 for charity last year and are hoping to increase that by 50 per cent this year.
    Mossin wrote: »
    You cant blame UL students solely for the state of O'Connelll St. :mad:
    +1
    rmacm wrote: »
    Hmmm in my experience native Limerick people can manage that just fine without students around to do it for them.

As a Limerick native I can certainly verify this. The city centre is a state on weekend mornings. When was the last time you walked down O'Connell Street before noon on a Sunday? Probably not recently... Just because you don't see it on a Sunday and did see it this morning going to work/school/college/wherever doesn't mean that it doesn't occur due to reasons other than RAG week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As a Limerick native I can certainly verify this. The city centre is a state on weekend mornings. When was the last time you walked down O'Connell Street before noon on a Sunday? Probably not recently... Just because you don't see it on a Sunday and did see it this morning going to work/school/college/wherever doesn't mean that it doesn't occur due to reasons other than RAG week.
    +1

Another native here to confirm what you've said

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

How bad were Republic Of Loose last night? Jaysus, Mary and Joseph but that'll go down as a very verrrrrry badly spent tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Republic of Loose were bad? I saw at a festival, I didn't think they were awful. Not great, mind you, but not terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i heard something happened to one of the security crew like a broken hand or foot or something so they had to cut the gig short

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

ya gig was cut short for deff i was inside due to coldness...
    guy broke his leg on slippery pole today in courtyard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

As the Ents Crew Medic working at both of the below events I'd like to clarify a few issues... I'll say as much as I can without breaching patient confidentiality ;)

The Republic of Loose gig was cut short because there was a crush at the top by the stage. The barriers that are usually at gigs (they use the weight of the crowd to prevent them being pushed forward) hadn't arrived so regular barriers were used which meant that Crew members had to use their own physical force to keep the crowd back.

Unfortunately the strength of a few hundred > 5... Ergo a crush ensued.

There was a member of the audience who needed medical attention, but (s)he was fine. A Crew member did hurt his/her hand by banging it off the stage; but again a very minor incident that didn't require any significant attention. The band was asked to stop playing slightly early because of the danger to public safety as a result of crushing...

With regard to the incident in which a male was involved today on the jousting thingy... There was a suspected underlying injury to his knee and therefore he was taken to A&E for further examination. But he most definitely did not break his leg as such...

I feel like such a spoilsport for putting an end to these wild rumours :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Students these days

<Generic "back in my day" rant/>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Opinions? Didn't partake in any ticketed events but had an absolutely brilliant week. Leeroy in the trooms on Wednesday was absolutely brilliant. Final moment being absolutely hammered this morning walking home amongst the early risers, and my lecturer going by me on his way to college.

Absolutely wrecked now!

Did anybody see the guy stripped to nothing but a tshirt by two girls in the gunge wrestling thing? He was kinda drunk:D I kept thinking they were about to crack their heads off the concrete though since the gunge "pit" was just a plastic sheet over the concrete ground and everyone kept slipping up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anyone attend the Oaklawns house party??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Anyone attend the Oaklawns house party??? :D

if it was on thursday then i know people who were there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if it was on thursday then i know people who were there
    Yes indeed. House party with live bands attracted close to 150 people. The music was quiet enough that it didn't cause excessive noise, but the guards dispersed everyone on the grounds that there were too many cars in the vicinity, and residents had nowhere to park.

Yes indeed. House party with live bands attracted close to 150 people. The music was quiet enough that it didn't cause excessive noise, but the guards dispersed everyone on the grounds that there were too many cars in the vicinity, and residents had nowhere to park.
    That sounds like a laugh! Where did they put the band?

Advertisement