Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finglas Village Right of way....

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My GF is currently preparing for her driving test in Finglas, so she has been taking lessons and practicing a good bit around finglas village, cause you'll normally be taken through it as some point in the test...

My question is regarding 2 locations, where her instructor says drivers should not yield, as its difficult to describe, i've marked the 2 locations on a map, see attachment...

Location 1 marked on the map:-
    -> You've come up hill on main street and want to turn right onto the one-way street which brings you back towards superquinn / james town road... The driving instructor has said that you do not yield to on coming traffic, and that you have right of way to take the right hand turn onto the one way street. But based on the road markings i see up there, this can not be possible... Also for the right hand turn they've provided a "right turning box" which is where a car normally will wait to make the turn..

Location 2 marked on the map:-
    -> You've come off the dual carrageway into the village, the instructor says that traffic coming off the dual carrageway must yield to traffic coming from the right out of the small side turn....

In both locations there is no yield signs, but the instructor says go by the road markings, which are a solid white line + a dashed white line, which based on the rules of the road are "no entry" and not "yield" markings!!!

I can't understand this, its 10 years since i did my test in finglas and it just doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm just wondering has there been a mix up in the way he explained the 2 situations... also i would never go by just road markings, what happens if there's 1cm of snow?? no road markings then...

If anyone is familiar with the village it would be great if you could shed some light on this one... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Isn't there traffic lights now at the Number 1 turn. So follow that. I don't know about 2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

-> You've come up hill on main street and want to turn right onto the one-way street which brings you back towards superquinn / james town road... The driving instructor has said that you do not yield to on coming traffic, and that you have right of way to take the right hand turn onto the one way street. But based on the road markings i see up there, this can not be possible... Also for the right hand turn they've provided a "right turning box" which is where a car normally will wait to make the turn..
    I don't think the instructor is correct. As far as I can recall, that is a standard right turn and one must give way to oncoming traffic. (That's the junction at The Drake Pub?).
    -> You've come off the dual carrageway into the village, the instructor says that traffic coming off the dual carrageway must yield to traffic coming from the right out of the small side turn....
    Again, I don't think the instructor is correct. (Junction at Bottom of the Hill pub?). The road to the right (Old Finglas Road) has a YIELD sign.

I think your girlfriend needs a new instructor!
    jdivision wrote: »
    Isn't there traffic lights now at the Number 1 turn. So follow that. I don't know about 2
    There are pedestrian lights a few metres before the junction but they are independent of it. There are no lights on the junction unless they've went in lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I don't think the instructor is correct. As far as I can recall, that is a standard right turn and one must give way to oncoming traffic. (That's the junction at The Drake Pub?).

Again, I don't think the instructor is correct. (Junction at Bottom of the Hill pub?). The road to the right (Old Finglas Road) has a YIELD sign.

I think your girlfriend needs a new instructor!

There are pedestrian lights a few metres before the junction but they are independent of it. There are no lights on the junction unless they've went in lately.

Hi Ash,

Sounds like you know the area quite well, and i concur with everything you said!

I have also explained to her that you can never just go by road markings, you need some sort of sign, what happens if there is 1cm of snow, suddenly you have no road markings...

I have also asked her if maybe there was a crossed wire, but she is adamant.

I even brought her around that area today to show her how everyone else takes them junctions, and its as you described above and as i thought.

She has 1 more lesson so i asked her to confirm, the instructor has been quite good in other area's, so i'm hoping it is just a crossed wire...

thanks again....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have also explained to her that you can never just go by road markings, you need some sort of sign
    Unfortunately they sometimes contradict each other. Here's a few examples I have spotted of junctions with both STOP and YIELD signage.

BatterLaneSignage-1.jpg

GlentiesJunction-1.jpg

StopYieldSigns-1.jpg

what happens if there is 1cm of snow, suddenly you have no road markings...
    Hopefully, if there was a fall of snow, all motorists would exercise extra caution.

As I'm sure you are aware, the reason a STOP sign is octagonal is to distinguish it from a YIELD sign when the sign may have a coating of snow.

Donegal Council Council engineers don't seem to be aware of this. look at this all time classic! :eek:

SlowSign1-1.jpg
    the instructor has been quite good in other area's, so i'm hoping it is just a crossed wire...
    Traffic is often very heavy at those junctions, particularly at the right turn at The Drake Pub. Would it be possible that he meant that, as the oncoming traffic is stopped, one may easily make the turn? (I presume there is a yellow box there but I can't recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I got a few lessons from a guy called Howthsutton school of motoring and got my test first time. Lovely guy and very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hi All,

My GF is currently preparing for her driving test in Finglas, so she has been taking lessons and practicing a good bit around finglas village, cause you'll normally be taken through it as some point in the test...

My question is regarding 2 locations, where her instructor says drivers should not yield, as its difficult to describe, i've marked the 2 locations on a map, see attachment...

Location 1 marked on the map:-

In both locations there is no yield signs, but the instructor says go by the road markings, which are a solid white line + a dashed white line, which based on the rules of the road are "no entry" and not "yield" markings!!!

I can't understand this, its 10 years since i did my test in finglas and it just doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm just wondering has there been a mix up in the way he explained the 2 situations... also i would never go by just road markings, what happens if there's 1cm of snow?? no road markings then...

If anyone is familiar with the village it would be great if you could shed some light on this one... :confused:

Yeild at 1 not at 2, at 2 traffic from dual carrige way has right of way.

Get her to pay special attention to the junction at superquinn thats where i failed

Best of luck to her

Advertisement