Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP problem

Options
  • 22-02-2008 4:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I am having a problem with my FTP folder. Some folders wont delete from it. It says I dont have permission to delete them.

Essentialy this is what happens everytime I try, an error message comes up:
    550 gradient2.png: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/gradient2.png
    550 gradient1.png: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/gradient1.png
    550 footerbg.png: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/footerbg.png
    550 contbg1.png: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/contbg1.png
    550 bodybg.png: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/bodybg.png
    550 arrow.gif: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/arrow.gif
    550 CSSMenu.js: Permission denied : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft/CSSMenu.js
    550 andeas03Lft: Directory not empty : /domains/dublintransportinfo.com/public_html/uploads/andeas03Lft

Does anyone know how to sort this?

Cheers,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not wishing to sound pedantic but http://www.google.ie/search?q=ftp+error+550

Obviously you don't have correct permissions to delete the directory, or possibly it's not empty, or both.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The 550 is the CHMOD value and means the user does not have access rights to the directory or file. You need to make sure you are logged in as a user with the correct rights.
    Sometimes deleting the files from within the folder first then the folder works.What are you using to connect via ftp? You could try changing the CHMOD of the folder to 777 and then try deleting it also.
    Depending on what you are using to access the ftp you may not have the option, id recommend something like coreftp which will allow you to change the chmod settings on the folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd imagine an uploads folder has been given specific user rights.

Possibly ask the original site developer, or if you do need to blank the site, chmod 777 it, and recursive delete ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I use FireFTP. I tried chmod-ing and it didnt work, I also downloaded coreftp and chmodded and it didnt work. Anyhting else I could try?

Xylophonic wrote: »
    I use FireFTP. I tried chmod-ing and it didnt work, I also downloaded coreftp and chmodded and it didnt work. Anyhting else I could try?

Did it not let you change the chmod values or it did and you still couldnt get rid of the folders?

Did you try removing the files from within the folders first before trying to remove the folder, you may need to chmod those aswell.

You could contact your hosting company and get them to check the ownership on the folders and see if they can delete them for you.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Did it not let you change the chmod values or it did and you still couldnt get rid of the folders?

Did you try removing the files from within the folders first before trying to remove the folder, you may need to chmod those aswell.

You could contact your hosting company and get them to check the ownership on the folders and see if they can delete them for you.

It won't let me change the chmod values. I chmod all the files within the folders but they also would not let me do that. I have contacted Blacknight and I am awaiting their response

Then you dont seem to have the correct admin rights,without those you wont be able to remove and of the folders or files.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Have you access the a web-based file manager via your web host's control panel? If yes, then try deleting the files/folders via that instead.

Having read back now that I see you are hosting with blacknight. You can use their web-based file manager via the directadmin control panel to change/delete those files.

axer wrote: »
    Have you access the a web-based file manager via your web host's control panel? If yes, then try deleting the files/folders via that instead.

Having read back now that I see you are hosting with blacknight. You can use their web-based file manager via the directadmin control panel to change/delete those files.

Will give it a try.

EDIT: It is actually still refusing to let me edit the permissions.

Like i said above your user hasnt the right admin rights to make the changes. Im sure Blacknight will sort it out for you, once the admin rights are changed and you will be able to delete whatever you want then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement